Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
222,181 Gold!

It's that time of year again. Witches, Goblins and Ghosts. Take the CelticRadio Halloween poll and lets see what Halloween means to you!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Shadows 
Posted on 26-Oct-2003, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

I could answer that in several ways but the poll does not give me much room to do so... to cut and dry!

One thing it is not is devil worship!!!

After all it is a combination of Christian and pagan festivals... it was not even celibrated in the US before the 1800's.

It is based on the Christian feasts of "All Souls Nite" and "All Saints Day"
It just so happens to fall on the same nite as the pagan feast of the dead. Humm wonder if that was intentional ?

I wish I could vote in the poll, but the choices are to limiting.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Annabelle 
Posted on 26-Oct-2003, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I know the historical rites of the meaning of "halloween" but growing up as a child it meant "fun". I can remember a couple who lived down the street and they always did their house up for the holiday, including smoke (dry ice) cauldron and made homemade popcorn balls...gosh those are great memories.
Lots of running from house to house, people scaring you and dressing up pretending to be something else.

Then came the day and age when people started being vicious and putting things in the candy, razor blades, needles and drugs. Ruined it for everyone.

Then came the "born again" movement and now their children are not allowed to acknowledge "Halloween" they are told they go to "Fall Festival" they don't do Halloween, and they don't allow their children to read Harry Potter. It teaches to worship the devil and Satanic Principals....

hold on there! I grew up with Halloween as a fun childhood memory and somehow I am NOT a devil worshipper....and anything that get's kids to open a book and read instead of watching TV or play video games is ok, by me!

It was just a fun childhood time...I love being a kid...I love Halloween. Always so much fun...

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
scottish2 
Posted on 26-Oct-2003, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Being we have no kids it is just another night for us. Plus our local shopping centers and malls have trick or treating for kids so we rarely get visited by children so makes it even more so just another night for us.
PMEmail Poster               
Boudica123 
Posted on 26-Oct-2003, 09:02 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

female

I love HALLOWEEN with all my heart. It's a time to be someone or something else. It's a time to take candy frm strangers without a law suit. It's a time we celebrate the dead and other worlds. It's a time to spend with friends to have fun and not have to worry. It's a time to think outside the box and about magic and fun!!!

--------------------
"I'm great. I can't see but I'm good."
"Try using both eyes."
"Oh, oh yeah that's better."
"Think you can stand?"
"You mean I'm not?"

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted on 26-Oct-2003, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

My 2 cents:

At it's core, and through my studies I see Samhain as the original Pagan holiday. The night when the veil between this world and the next is thinnest.

Modern society, however has added another meaning to it though that my recent studies have made me wary of, but I'm starting to think that this new meaning is just as pure and harmless as the old traditions.

Either way, it is a time to let go, and talk of the unknown world of the dead come to visit the living.

Be thy even' of ghosts and of ghouls
or be it of Fae and of bonfires

may they night be blessed by the devine, by watever name you call them. Celebrate and be merry
beer_mug.gif cheers.gif band.gif cheers.gif beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

kidclaymore 
Posted on 27-Oct-2003, 01:15 AM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: North East Texas

male

I have to agree with shadows on the historical events of halloween, but the kid in me has to agree with annabelle, its just plain fun. angel_not.gif

--------------------
Slainte
Cho Sona ri radan ann am muileann and Gus an coinnich sinn a rithisd
Clan Lamont
PMEmail Poster               
kidclaymore 
Posted on 27-Oct-2003, 01:19 AM
Quote Post

THE BLACK KNIGHT
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: North East Texas

male

Hi Aaediwen

Can you tell me where and how to get those icons.
PMEmail Poster               
collin king 
Posted on 27-Oct-2003, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

Realm: tampa Fl

Happy new year kids

--------------------
Cailen Rhi
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted on 27-Oct-2003, 04:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I voted for "harmless fun". I always played it safe. I only went to houses I knew, and I think the worst thing I did was when I was in 8th grade. All the boys were meeting at one boy's house and all the girls were meeting at one of the girls' house (her house was near the boy's). I'd heard that the girls were planning to ambush us boys, so we pulled what in football (US) is called a misdirection-you fake you're going one way, then head in the opposite direction. We "accidentally" let it slip that we were meeting at another boy's house, then we ambushed the girls with shaving cream, eggs and squirt guns filled with grape juice naughty.gif .

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aaediwen 
Posted on 27-Oct-2003, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Kidclaymore: if you're talking about the band and beer; they're listed under the 'show all' link on clickable smiles when you're composing a message. Also listed there, you will find the text string to type to get them. Clicking them will tack them to theend of the message, or you can type them in whatever spot you want. to get what I have above, use the following with a double colon before each word (and without quotes) 'beermug cheers band cheers beermug'

smilie_tux.gif
Richard Bercot 
Posted on 27-Oct-2003, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

I, like many others voted for the harmless fun. It was that way when I was a kid, what am I talking about, Still a kid. I love giving the treats to the little ones and scarring the Hell out of the bigger ones.eek.gif

They usually cut through my yard after dark to hit other peoples houses and I just slip back into the shadows and wait for them to come by. I never have to say anything, I just step out so they could see me. It gets them every time and I love it.

Happy Halloween Everyone. ghost.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Celeste of the Stars 
Posted on 31-Oct-2003, 05:55 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ Oct 26 2003, 10:31 PM)

At it's core, and through my studies I see Samhain as the original Pagan holiday. The night when the veil between this world and the next is thinnest.

Being a celtic wiccan I am inclined to agree. Samhain (pronounced so-wen) is one of my favorite sabbats. As a matter of fact we just finished our feast and I'm preparing to perform my rituals at midnight

--------------------
Merry Meet, Merry Part and Merry Meet Again
Blessed Be,
Celeste of the Stars
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted on 31-Oct-2003, 06:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

Just last night, our students at school went to other houses and stole their pumpkins. The school yard was littered with broken pumpkins. I ask my students (yes, 11-13 years old) what their favorite Halloween game is, thinking bobbing for apples, etc. and they all put spin the bottle. Others get drunk, egg cars, steal other things. This does not happen on any other day of the year. I hardly call stealing and vandalizing harmless fun. Thinking evil, satan, etc. are "cool" is not fun.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted on 31-Oct-2003, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ Oct 26 2003, 09:06 PM)
It is based on the Christian feasts of "All Souls Nite" and "All Saints Day"
It just so happens to fall on the same nite as the pagan feast of the dead. Humm wonder if that was intentional ?

Shadows, It was probably planned. The same as Christmas. The Roman Cathlic Church, in an attempt to make the transition from Pagan to Christianity a little easier to bear, aligned Christian holidays with Pagan ones so they could convert, but still keep their festivals. Christ wasn't born in December, this is a known fact, but the date was changed to align with the winter festival. But maybe you already knew that and were being sarcastic. tongue.gif

Annabelle, I've got to make a comment about your view of the 'Born Agains'. I, being one, would like to clear a few things up. I grew up in the church and in a Christian home, and I took part in Halloween every year. As did all the kids I went to church with, with the exception of the Pastors kids. But they did have a celebration at the chruch like you stated. My parents encouraged us to read everything we could. Including my favorite, as well as my mothers, fantasy.

I'm not pissed or anything, just don't generalize. I have to fight this sort of thing everywhere, I'd rather not have to here.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]