Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 09:48 PM
Quote Post

An Asian Celt from Hong Kong
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Brooklyn, NY

male

the world looks better when there're some different ethnics appear on the same place, that make it more colorful
(as I discover the most beautiful sound in the world...Celtic)
but now somebody wants to make the world Black and White...I wouldn't see that happens

--------------------
a Chinese Celt from Hong Kong
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.
Sea Dog 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 09:52 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

male

We've thoroughly enjoyed it in the short time we've been here. I've even bought a few CDs based on what I've heard. I'ld buy a few more but the boss has cut me sporran away. Told me she had the range for further cutting.

This is definitely a great way to hear the "local" groups in other areas. Our favorite local group disbanded due to some family illnesses and we miss them.

--------------------
Give me a fast ship for I intend to sail in harm's way. - John Paul Jones

Veni, Vidi, Velcro - I Came, I Saw, I Stuck Around
PMEmail Poster               
mingkee 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

I have made a small donation
for support and appreciation
I am just a poor guy, do not have a lot of money to support
Aaediwen 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 10:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

Hmmm, I just thought of something. Something trite and simple. I do believe that a lot of this is due to corporate stong-arming in fear of P2P and similar resources.

/me looks through the group

Perhaps we should see if we can make our voices heard somewhere else in addition, beyond just ranting and raving in here. Anyone with more Govm't experience than I aware of what might be the best approach? I agree with the idea of artists getting at least some reimbursement, but there should be some way to do it that won't kill wonderful places like this. I honestlythought that such things were already much of what the donations to this site went towards.... royalty payments.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
mingkee 
Posted: 11-Feb-2004, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

other than that
I'd like to introduce THIS to the ppls in Hong Kong
give them a discovery
and there's been too much sadness there
they need something sweet to feel better
Kacela 
Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

male

I live about a mile from John Whelan here in Milford, Connecticut - Oh, how I wish I had some influence now... He would be an incredible asset on our side - as a Celtic artist and producer, someone like him would surely like to showcase his and our love for Celtic music. Maybe if I see him at the supermarket, I'll ask if he would be willing (or is even capable) to sign that release - he may not have the rights to his own music...
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 06:21 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
255,098 Gold!

Just a quick note, in the donation department we now have enough for the first licenese through BMI!!! The yearly fee is $267. We are $120 away for the other license from ASCAP!!!

I will be contacting the UK equivilant of these licenses to determine how much their fee is.

This is just the first part. We will need to contact the artists to get permission to play their music without royalty payments. In return we provide CD buy links to amazon.com or back to their website (whichever they perfer) and also promotion in our musician database.

We are on our way. Thanks so much for these donations, we will try to be back up as soon as possible, we might have something through live365 this weekend as a go between.

thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
talleyrand 
Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

Just a random thought, would setting up this site in ``Elbonia'' or some other country less concerned about licensing fees and royalties be an option?

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
stevenpd 
Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

Court: Royalties must be paid for online music

Media Reform Network

From Los Angeles Times, October 21, 2003
By Jon Healey

In a blow to Internet "simulcasting," the 3rd District Court of Appeals has ruled that over-the-air broadcasters must pay royalties to recording artists and labels for the songs they play over the Internet.

The appeals panel's opinion, issued Friday, upheld earlier rulings by a federal judge in Philadelphia and the U.S. Copyright Office.

Several leading broadcasters struck a royalties deal with the record labels earlier this year that calls for them to pay about 0.07 cent per listener for each song played. Nevertheless, National Assn. of Broadcasters spokesman Dennis Wharton said the trade group disagreed with the appeals court's ruling and "will be exploring all of our legal and legislative options to overturn this decision, which we believe misinterprets the intent of Congress."

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
stevenpd 
Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

The best defence is an informed citizenry. Here is a link to those that would like to learn more:

Webcasters Alliance

And here is a recent article that probably created our current situation, which actually started last year and has been resurrected.

E-Commerce News

February 11, 2004
Copyright Office Sets Webcasting Rates
By Ryan Naraine

The U.S. Copyright Office has given the thumbs-up to an agreement on royalty rates between the recording industry and online radio broadcasters, a move that gives webcasters several royalty payment options.

For the 2003-2004 period, the settlement agreement spells out the royalty rates for all webcasters -- ranging from Internet-only Webcasters to subscription services to non-commercial radio broadcast simulcasts.

The deal calls for commercial non-subscription and new subscription services to decide between paying per performance rates (per song, per listener) or aggregate tuning hour (per listener, per hour). It also sets rates for what is described as "new subscription services" to have the option to pay a percentage of subscription revenues. Large-scale commercial broadcasters also have choices of royalty payment terms, the Copyright Office said in a statement.

The Copyright Office also designated SoundExchange as the collection and distribution agent for the royalty fees.

The royalty agreement means that large scale Internet-only webcasters like Microsoft (Quote, Chart),Yahoo (Quote, Chart), America Online (Quote, Chart) and RealNetworks would pay either .0762 cents per song per listener of 1.17 cents per listener per hour. The minimum payment for Internet-only webcasters is $2,500.

For subscription services, the Internet-only options are available along with a third option of paying 10.9 percent of revenues. Fees for commercial and non-commercial radio broadcast simulcasts are fixed separately.

Killian 
  Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacAlder

female

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #43
40,411 Gold!

sad.gif
Its very sad,I miss checking on the station. I used to check on it and make sure all was up and running for all to enjoy.It was our gift of a break for families from the real world . It was an escape and I hope it made some real quality family time for many.In a world where things are so nuts. It was a place to chat and enjoy the music. I am starting to go through the cds and see if I can help make sense of it all.
Mrs Macfive crybaby.gif

--------------------
Sara Aitken MacArthur - aka 'Radio Girl'
Highlander Radio
http://www.celticradio.net
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

Wow! Ms. Mac is on!

Hi Mrs. Mac. glad to see you on here, I just wish the circumstances were better.

sad.gif

I don't envy your job of going through the cd's. Wish there was a way I could help.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
pneumandro 
Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Greenville, TX

male

QUOTE (Aaediwen @ Feb 11 2004, 10:15 PM)
Perhaps we should see if we can make our voices heard somewhere else in addition, beyond just ranting and raving in here. Anyone with more Govm't experience than I aware of what might be the best approach?

Well, the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is a LARGE voice in this whole thing.
They are constantly fighting the battles against the RIAA and other organizations that like to put strangleholds on communication and media.

There are alot of other groups out there.

The RIAA and their ilk already know their are alot of voices out there. And they frankly could care less. I'm not advocating taking this lying down, not by no means! But I don't know how my/your voice could be added to the powerful voices already speaking (and the powerful ears which are closed).

The voices screamed in '98. this was the compromise. Some compromise.

--------------------
My biological mom is English, Irish, Scottish.  My biological father is English/German.  Guess that makes me 1/5 German, 1/5 Irish, 2/5 English and a fifth of Scotch!
PMEmail Poster               
pneumandro 
Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 01:15 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

Realm: Greenville, TX

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 12 2004, 12:06 PM)
I don't envy your job of going through the cd's. Wish there was a way I could help.

Hey Paul, any need for us to contribute by helping you contact the artists? Maybe someone could come up with a form letter, a beginning of a form phone call (some sort of introduction to put the artist or his/her agent at ease with us), or anything else?

And then maybe disperse a list of "artists to contact" with any contact info you may have to those of us willing to share your burden?

I don't volunteer much, but I do believe I'd be willing to chip in on this one if you needed the help. You've put together FAR to great a site to have it crumble down so quickly (and I am not a usual net-radio listener, usually can't stand the stuff).
This music is the only thing that keeps me chipper through my workday lately (work has taken a turn for the horrible, this keeps a smile on my face!).

Of course, if you do not wish to do this, its very understood. Just thought I'd toss the suggestion out.

Pneumandro
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
  Posted: 12-Feb-2004, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rėgh
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

In my humble opinion,

While I am not against the motive of profit in business I can not see where these licencing schemes, as currently configured, help fringe music communities like Celtic Music. The amounts of money this could generate for the Recording Companies is miniscule compared to Pop, Rap, or what ever is currently in vogue on the mainstream music scene.

The sad part about this whole rotten situation is that, with the exception of a few big name Celtic artists and their Recording Company/Label (mostly the Recording Company, artists make their money touring, not from record sales/royalties), organizations like ASCAP/BMI and RIAA don?t have the individual Celtic Artist(s)(or their Labels) best interests in mind. It?s the Pop music business that these organizations are working for.

When it comes right down to it this is only about the money!!!! sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

Š Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]