Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Bruce (de Brus), Scotlands' warrior King.
Fionna Machumhail 
Posted: 29-Apr-2008, 11:18 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAsh

female

Besides reading up on the subject online, I'm wanting to go by the library the next time I have TIME.....and check out a book or two, The Rebel King is just one of them I'm wanting to read.

Though I've always been interested in the history... found out a week ago...we have family line that goes back to de Brus and beyond. biggrin.gif Icing on the cake!

Needless to say I was more than just a little surprised and elated. king.gif

thumbs_up.gif beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 29-Apr-2008, 12:22 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (Fionna Machumhail @ 29-Apr-2008, 12:18 PM)
Besides reading up on the subject online, I'm wanting to go by the library the next time I have TIME.....and check out a book or two, The Rebel King is just one of them I'm wanting to read.

Though I've always been interested in the history... found out a week ago...we have family line that goes back to de Brus and beyond. biggrin.gif Icing on the cake!

Needless to say I was more than just a little surprised and elated. king.gif

thumbsup.gif beer_mug.gif beer_mug.gif

Fionna Machumhail;

Let me also recommend "The Brus" by John Balfour. Both my birth family and my adopted family stood with the Brus at Bannockburn.

Camac.

AShruleEgan 
Posted: 29-Apr-2008, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

Don't forget about his brother, Edward, who Robert sent to Ireland to help the Irish fight the English. Unfortunately, Edward, eventually died in battle. Robert did join him for a few months and then returned to Scotland.
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 30-Apr-2008, 06:35 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (A Shrule Egan @ 29-Apr-2008, 08:17 PM)
Don't forget about his brother, Edward, who Robert sent to Ireland to help the Irish fight the English. Unfortunately, Edward, eventually died in battle. Robert did join him for a few months and then returned to Scotland.

Edward Brus died in battle at Faughart near Dundalk Ireland. He would not heed the advice of his senior knights and wait for re-enforcements but instead took on overwhelming Anglo-Irish forces and was soundly defeated. Rumour has it that he exchanged armour with a lower ranking knight to disguise himself. Edward was nothing like his brother, he was impatient and vainglorious and through his folly the attempt to unite Ireland failed.

Camac.

Silvermane 
Posted: 08-May-2008, 08:49 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHolly

male

I am almost finished with Book 1 of The Rebel King. I met Charles Randolf Bruce & Carolyn Hale Bruce at the Northeast Florida Scottish Games and Festival back in February. I love the book. I picked up the first 3 books. There is talk about a movie deal but nothing firm so far.
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 09-Nov-2008, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Silvermane,

Though Robert the Bruce was a great King I don't have any books about is biography. I will look for the books you mention above, I want to read more about this King though as popular as he was for his war exploits and what he did for the people of Scotland, we don't know much about the man himself.

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 09-Nov-2008, 08:25 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

LOA;

There is also the "Bruce Trilogy " by Nigel Tranter .

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 18-Nov-2008, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Thanks for the title my friend,
I will make sure to look it up...have you read it before?

LOA
PM My Photo Album               
tyoung34461usa 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 05:08 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Florida

male

QUOTE (Fionna Machumhail @ 26-Apr-2008, 02:38 PM)
QUOTE (Camac @ 12-Feb-2008, 09:01 PM)
12/02/08

To those members who are really into Scotlands' History I would like to mention that whilst in Scotland last October I watched one of the series "The Clans" the night I watched it it was about the Clan Campbell and one of the asides they brought up was that they seem to have proof that Robert the Bruce was a Leper.
This fact was of course kept secret from the people at the time as no one would have followed him and History would have taken a far different course. In the movie Braveheart (piece of garbage) it was his father that was portrayed  as having Leprosy.

Camac.

I don't think we'll ever really know what exactly it was, not without "forensic" testing anyway! rolleyes.gif History states he had an "unclean" disease, which could mean leprosy, syphillis, psoriasis, some sort of neuropathic malady even. Who's to know? smile.gif

Greetings Fionna Machumhail,
You say: "I don't think we'll ever really know what exactly it was, not without "forensic" testing anyway! rolleyes.gif History states he had an "unclean" disease, which could mean leprosy, syphillis, psoriasis, some sort of neuropathic malady even. Who's to know? smile.gif"
[FONT=Arial]
I can see it now, a brand new show on CBS called "Highlands CSI"!! Sorry I couldn't resist!

Thomas biggrin.gif

[FONT=Arial]
PMEmail Poster               
Fionna Machumhail 
Posted: 21-May-2009, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacAsh

female

Since we know where he's buried, I imagine tissues samples COULD still be taken, should the right people request, and permission be granted.

Just a thought...

PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
MelissaDawn7 
Posted: 27-May-2014, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacOak

female

History is so interesting! Some things are very well documented so we know (almost) exactly what happened...and some things are vague and people can only guess! In some cases, it's hard to tell what's the true history and what's the legend too.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]