Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Welsh Rarebit - A Tasty Snack!, eaten all over the UK, not just Wales!
Bookmark and Share
Catriona 
Posted: 15-Jan-2004, 06:31 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

This snack is very tasty - and much better than 'ordinary' cheese on toast. If you add a poached egg to the final result, it then becomes 'Buck Rarebit'... BTW, the rarebit is often written 'rabbit' - maybe that's the reason for the use of the word 'buck' in the more exotic version?!

WELSH RAREBIT

8 oz grated strong cheddar cheese
4 tablespns stout or beer (I use whatever is in the house!) The amount may need to be increased slightly, if the resulting rarebit is to thick.
2 oz butter
1 teaspn English mustard powder
1.5 tbsp plain flour
salt and pepper, to taste
Thick cut bread from an uncut loaf, ready to toast

(I use a double boiler to make this, but a friend just chucks it all in a saucepan together and it tastes very similar!)

Make a roux of the butter and flour. Season to your taste. Add liquid, cheese and
mustard and mix well, until cheese has fully melted and mixture has become a thick sauce.

Toast one side of the bread. Spread a generous amount of the mixture on the untoasted side and then put under a very hot grill until bubbling and golden!
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt