Donajhi 
Posted: 02-Aug-2009, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

I really hope I am posting this in the right place. If not someone can move it.

The subject is ,The Scottish Diaspora. What are your thoughts and feeling
on this?

This is the link to the parliament page where you can listen and see the proceedings.

www.scottishdiasporaforum.org

then go to:

www.holyrood.tv/art.asp

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Donajhi 
Posted: 05-Aug-2009, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

female

Come on kids, someone give me some feedback. Perhaps I should smooth down my fur and not feel the Homeland is wanting to use me for money. Boy are they poking the wrong bank account if this is true.
Anyway here is a bit I just pulled off the internet... unsure.gif sad.gif cool.gif wink.gif wink.gif
I do believe if we all went home at one time, with our attitudes, it would scare the pooh.gif out of the natives. So far I have not found where they are offering to give back any land, titles, or etc.
Now we must remember they still have the giljotiini.gif over there.. jawdrop.gif

The Scottish Diaspora
Today there are in Scotland, about five million people with varying amounts of Scottish ethnicity. As well as these, in the Scottish diaspora, there are more than 20 million in North America and a large population in Australasia. Scotland needs to recognise them as Scots who are just living abroad and not as an alien race. The idea that they no longer have a say or can comment about their native land is unacceptable. Moreover, Scots need to lose the “kent yer faither” syndrome and be proud of diaspora Scots, and not disparage them. -- For too long native resident Scots have criticised their more entrepreneurial Scottish cousins – instead their success should be emulated in the home country.

As per CIA estimates of November 05, Scottish ethnicity is found:

In Britain

Scotland 5,000,000
England and Wales 2,000,000

Noticeable Scottish Populations
United States 21,000,000
Australia 5,000,000
Canada 4,500,000
New Zealand 2,000,000
South Africa 1,000,000
Ireland 1,000,000
Brazil 1,000,000
Netherlands 750,000
Poland 500,000
France 500,000
Caribbean 500,000
Scandinavia 250,000

In a recent Parliamentary answer to MSP Linda Fabiani (Central Scotland) (SNP) question:

‘To ask the Scottish Executive what steps it has taken, and intends to take, to encourage the Scottish diaspora in Canada to invest in the Scottish economy.’

Mr Tom McCabe replied:

‘The Scottish Executive intends to engage with and mobilise the Scottish diaspora to further Scotland’s interests for the long-term benefit of our economy and society. We aim to encourage the diaspora’s active participation and engagement in promoting Scotland as a great country to visit, live, learn, work, do business and invest.’

Scotland now recognises the vital role of Scots abroad:

• Scotland needs to rebuild its population thus émigré Scots are encouraged to return back to Scotland.

• Scotland requires émigré money and expertise.

The First Minister’s visit to Canada in 2005 has highlighted the Scottish Diaspora. Scotland has a population of 5 million people yet over 40 million world wide claim Scottish ethnicity. More Scots live abroad than in Scotland. Some left in sorrow, cleared from their land centuries ago. Others more recently were removed when the pits closed or factories shut. Many more though left because they simply wanted to experience a new world or thought that opportunities would be better elsewhere. Hardly a family in Scotland doesn’t have a close relative resident abroad.
Camac
Posted: 05-Aug-2009, 12:16 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Donahji;

I am a Scot by birth being born in Troon Ayrshire of Scottish parents but I am not really Scottish having been raised in Canada from the age of 5 till the present at 67.I am extremely proud of my Scottish Heritage but I love Canada far more than I do Scotland. This is my home. I have returned to Scotland on holiday twice, the first time was 1963 and the last was October 2007. I had a great time and I loved everything about Scotland but I could never live there. It is to me alien. They do not speak the same English that I speak, you yanks don't either but I can understand you, their customs and outlook are not mine and the big kicker is it is to damned expensive. As stated I am very proud of my Scots heritage and I fervently hope that I will live to see her free and independent but I will not return there for I would be a stranger in a strange land. I have many relatives in Scotland out numbering my Canadian cousins a 100 to one but they to are strangers, a family I did not know of until shortly before my last visit.

So the blood is Scots but the brain is Canadian and I personally think I have the best of the bargain. Born in a Great Country and Raised in the Best Country on Earth. We have a song here that has the line `The Thistle, Shamrock, Rose entwined The Maple Leaf Forever.`

Camac.

Donajhi 
Posted: 05-Aug-2009, 06:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

female

Camac,

I could have written your last post, except for a few changes.
I was born in GlenCoe, a twin. My brother, Dana, was ill and needed the care of
the medical community in the US. He passed before our 4th birthday.

My parents were broken and did not go back to Scotland. I list myself as US
born. It save having to tell the story of Dana's death. Someone will always
ask why we did not go back.

I grew up in the mountains of Washington state. After I finished grad school I
made a trip back. It was, as you said, alien.

My heart will always race at the sound of the pipes, and I will always wear
my plaid proudly. I will teach my children and grandson of the highland
ways, as I was. And we will visit. But, I can not live without a mall in rock
throwing distance.

Your post is spot on and I thank you for the input. At least now I don't
feel like a selfish traitor...........bag.gif

Thanks, Dj
Camac
Posted: 06-Aug-2009, 07:15 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

Donahji;

No need to feel like a traitor as someone who was alot wiser said to me once " Remember this always wee Davey, what ever ground a Scotsman stands on that is where Scotland is" That was told to me in 1963 by Margaret (Maggie) Lee my, 96 year old Great Grannie.

Camac.

PS. Because she was my Greatgrannie I didn't have the courage to tell her that I hate the name Davey.

Donajhi 
Posted: 06-Aug-2009, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

female

Camac,

Once again, thank you for sharing your great wisdom. It seems that your
Great-grandmother passed the very best of her DNA to you.

Dj
glaswegian 
Posted: 08-Aug-2009, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Glasgow

male

I am a Scot, and I do not recognize Americans and Canadians with Scottish ancestry as scot. They are not Scots. They are Americans. nor are they ethnically Scottish. Ethnicity is determined by culture, behavioral traits, community and ancestry. Americans and Canadians share none of these values and as for ancestry, most of them are descended from other Canadians and Americans, anthropologically speaking white American and white Canadian is most certainly a distinct ethnic groups.

I think you would be hard pressed to find any of my countrymen who would recognise canaidans and Americans as scots.

The article is flawed as it says we "must not recognize the scottish diaspora as another race" NO one does, the fact is that we are the sae race (caucasian/north european). The scots are seperated by culture, geography etc. we are a cultural group and are not defined as a race through anthropology or s
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 08-Aug-2009, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

glaswegian;

How would you classify me and people like me, born in Scotland of Scottish parents but raised in Canada from an early age?

Camac

glaswegian 
Posted: 08-Aug-2009, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

In my opinion being Scottish is not something that is set in stone, it would really be what cultures shaped you as a person and had the ost predominant part in shaping your character and who you are.

if the culture that shaped you to what you are, was predominantly canadian then you are Canadian. I would say that you yourself would know more than me, I have not had the same experiences as you.

If everything you have experienced is Canadian and if Scotland is nothing but a very distant memory. I would say you are Canadian. I trust you have a Canadian accent ?

PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 08-Aug-2009, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

glaswegian;

Yes I have a Canadian accent and after a recent trip to Scotland to meet a long lost part of my family I came to realize that, yes I am a Scot but I am not Scottish.
I am through and through a Canadian who by the way is extremely proud of his Scottish roots and heritage. My Mother on the other hand even though she spent the greater part of her life here was Scottish. To her Scotland was home not Canada. Whenever she got to-gether with her 4 sisters, who were also here, I never understood a word any of them said the brogue was so thick.

Camac.

glaswegian 
Posted: 08-Aug-2009, 03:27 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacRowan

male

My father is Irish and whenever I go to ireland I always feel like a foreigner (despite having lived their for a number of years.)
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]