> A GREAT DAY IN OUR NATIONS HISTORY, A new Day
Camac
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

stoirmeil; As I stated I'm an outsider but I will say this it gave the world a spectacle and sent a message that maybe just maybe with you united as your are right now some will think twice before messing with you. Last time I remember seeing you yanks so enthused was with Kennedy. Even got us Canucks going then and the same seems to be happening again for there were celebrations all over Canada in honour of his inaugural.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

It was my understanding that Washington DC and the federal government paid for the security in it's entirety. DC was actually subsidized in part for their contribution by the Fed. Govt. The 153 M was for the festivities only. Considering our plight, that amount was but a pittance. One could also argue that the festivities took the nations mind off their problems for a while, that being a good thing.

The festivities are financed by private sector donations, usually with the expectation of something in return. It has been that way for many presidential elections. "Something for Something".

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 21-Jan-2009, 03:17 PM)
NovaScotian;

I all seriousness I agree with you but then I have no right to complain as I am an outsider looking in. We don't have inaugruations in Canada just a swearing in of the P.M. and his Cabinet by the Govenor General. A lot simpler and less expensive. $153 mil does seem excessive.

Camac.

To be honest with you, just a swearing in, would be just fine with me.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 21-Jan-2009, 03:43 PM)
It was my understanding that Washington DC and the federal government paid for the security in it's entirety. DC was actually subsidized in part for their contribution by the Fed. Govt. The 153 M was for the festivities only. Considering our plight, that amount was but a pittance. One could also argue that the festivities took the nations mind off their problems for a while, that being a good thing.

The festivities are financed by private sector donations, usually with the expectation of something in return. It has been that way for many presidential elections. "Something for Something".

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch, the glitz, glitter and glamour could have been spared in the name of conserving our national finances. It would have made a great example to the whole nation.

"One could also argue that the festivities took the nations mind off their problems for a while, that being a good thing."

There goes the selfish American attitude again. I need to spend money to wash away my sorrows. I'm sorry but this is just how I see that statement. The Government is expecting all those who put them in office to make changes but they can just go on spending, spending, spending. But thats ok. It wasn't for Bush, it was for Obama. I guess that makes it ok.

I would have really respected and praised Obama if he had stood up before inaguration and said lets keep it simple and at a low price tag in light of what the country is going through. One who agrees is Demond Wilson of Sanford and son who stated his displeasure in the 153 million dollar price tag.
PMEmail Poster                
gwenlee 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 03:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (Patch @ 21-Jan-2009, 04:43 PM)

Slàinte,    

Patch    

I read the 153 million was only for the celebration not security. I too am amazed that there was so much criticism about the money spent on the last inauguration and the media hasn't said a thing about this inauguration. I think these events have gotten way out of control.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
valpal59 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 03:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

QUOTE (Nova Scotian @ 21-Jan-2009, 03:17 PM)

Patch, the glitz, glitter and glamour could have been spared in the name of conserving our national finances. It would have made a great example to the whole nation.

"One could also argue that the festivities took the nations mind off their problems for a while, that being a good thing."

There goes the selfish American attitude again. I need to spend money to wash away my sorrows. I'm sorry but this is just how I see that statement. The Government is expecting all those who put them in office to make changes but they can just go on spending, spending, spending. But thats ok. It wasn't for Bush, it was for Obama. I guess that makes it ok.

I would have really respected and praised Obama if he had stood up before inaguration and said lets keep it simple and at a low price tag in light of what the country is going through. One who agrees is Demond Wilson of Sanford and son who stated his displeasure in the 153 million dollar price tag.

I have to agree with Nove Scotian. All of us know that we are going to have to make some changes in how we handle our finances so we can get through this. It would have been great to see him set an example for the nation and to have kept it simple. It said to me that he is "all blow and no go" just like the rest of the politicians. IMHO.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Camac
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

gwenlee;

Let's face it Georgie was liked and there were cheers when he left and not all were of goodbye.

Camac.

flora 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

I am concerned with the attitude of some that everything is going to be all right now. It is going to take time and it will get worse before it will get better, no matter who was President. Have you ever noticed the before and after profiles of all the Presidents? We can't imagine the conflicts and stress that they have to go through and they all pay a price in their health.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (flora @ 21-Jan-2009, 05:58 PM)
I am concerned with the attitude of some that everything is going to be all right now. It is going to take time and it will get worse before it will get better, no matter who was President. Have you ever noticed the before and after profiles of all the Presidents? We can't imagine the conflicts and stress that they have to go through and they all pay a price in their health.

Flora

Very true!! I did see today that he froze the pay levels of many of the Washington support personnel. It is an example.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (gwenlee @ 21-Jan-2009, 05:49 PM)
QUOTE (Patch @ 21-Jan-2009, 04:43 PM)
It was my understanding that Washington DC and the federal government paid for the security in it's entirety.  DC was actually subsidized in part for their contribution by the Fed. Govt.  The 153 M was for the festivities only.  Considering our plight, that amount was but a pittance.  One could also argue that the festivities took the nations mind off their problems for a while, that being a good thing.

The festivities are financed by private sector donations, usually with the expectation of something in return.  It has been that way for many presidential elections.  "Something for Something".

Slàinte,    

Patch    

I read the 153 million was only for the celebration not security. I too am amazed that there was so much criticism about the money spent on the last inauguration and the media hasn't said a thing about this inauguration. I think these events have gotten way out of control.

It is excessive, but the media wants it too and our government is lubricated with money (the latter being a bad thing).

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 06:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (gwenlee @ 21-Jan-2009, 04:49 PM)

Do you think this public outpouring would have been satisfied with Obama having a small, private high tea with the outgoing president, and a cozy indoor swearing in, like a new Prime Minister with the Queen? It wasn't just the media that pumped it up, eihter -- this was a grassroots level celebration. The size of the symbolic event, for the people that supported the election of this candidate, was met with a commensurate expenditure; nothing like that many people turned out to see Bush inaugurated, because there was no particular reason for them to. This week's turnout was a demonstration of solidarity and emotional release like few other inaugurations in history. Bush's and Obama's swearing in were not equal or even comparable, in terms of being "only" inaugurations, and something like this amount was needed to accommodate an event that was bursting to happen whether they calculated on it or not. Let's face it -- you didn't want him elected, so you will hardly approve of his victory celebration in any respect, and expense is a convenient and topical hook to hang the disapproval on.

Besides -- think of the money we are soon going to start saving on tanks, ordinance and troop deployment. I think he'll make up the $153M that could have been used to give all possible rehab and proper lifelong care of maybe 10 permanently handicapped soldiers and fully educate their children, pretty quickly. Just as an idea of the proportions.
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,871 Gold!

While not commenting directly about this inauguration, I would mention that the celebration accompaning every inauguration since Andrew Jackson has been critisized as being excessive.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 21-Jan-2009, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

QUOTE (valpal59 @ 21-Jan-2009, 04:57 PM)
QUOTE (Nova Scotian @ 21-Jan-2009, 03:17 PM)

I would have really respected and praised Obama if he had stood up before inaguration and said lets keep it simple and at a low price tag in light of what the country is going through. One who agrees is Demond Wilson of  Sanford and son who stated his displeasure in the 153 million dollar price tag.

I have to agree with Nove Scotian. All of us know that we are going to have to make some changes in how we handle our finances so we can get through this. It would have been great to see him set an example for the nation and to have kept it simple. It said to me that he is "all blow and no go" just like the rest of the politicians. IMHO.

Val

Oh it's no wounder. Like I said, Bush recieved plenty of critizim for the 43 million for his inaguration. But not speaking ill of President Obama, he's the media's golden child. He can do no wrong it seems like.

stoirmeil, the point is that it could have been done a whole lot cheaper as an example to the nation that the Government is willing to sacrifice to save money to get out of debt. I think it's extreamly hypocritical to expect the nation to change their habits in spending while they spend on things they could have done without. That goes for the Republicans and the Democrats.
PMEmail Poster                
valpal59 
Posted: 22-Jan-2009, 09:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 21-Jan-2009, 06:39 PM)
Do you think this public outpouring would have been satisfied with Obama having a small, private high tea with the outgoing president, and a cozy indoor swearing in, like a new Prime Minister with the Queen? It wasn't just the media that pumped it up, eihter -- this was a grassroots level celebration. The size of the symbolic event, for the people that supported the election of this candidate, was met with a commensurate expenditure; nothing like that many people turned out to see Bush inaugurated, because there was no particular reason for them to. This week's turnout was a demonstration of solidarity and emotional release like few other inaugurations in history. Bush's and Obama's swearing in were not equal or even comparable, in terms of being "only" inaugurations, and something like this amount was needed to accommodate an event that was bursting to happen whether they calculated on it or not. Let's face it -- you didn't want him elected, so you will hardly approve of his victory celebration in any respect, and expense is a convenient and topical hook to hang the disapproval on.

Besides -- think of the money we are soon going to start saving on tanks, ordinance and troop deployment. I think he'll make up the $153M that could have been used to give all possible rehab and proper lifelong care of maybe 10 permanently handicapped soldiers and fully educate their children, pretty quickly. Just as an idea of the proportions.

No, I did not vote for him, but he is our President and he has my respect. I did not say he did not deserve a victory celebration because he did. It was an historical occassion and I am glad I was able to witness it in my lifetime. I just think it would have been great to see him lead by example and show the nation that he understands that everyone is going to have to sacrifice to make it through this crisis.

Val
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 22-Jan-2009, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 21-Jan-2009, 08:39 PM)

I agree for the most part. However cutting our preparedness to any great degree will insure that we will be learning a foreign language, probably Farci. The other option is the nuclear back up we posess and life will end as we know it. We will leave our legacy to cockroaches and a few burrowing creatures. Also military equipment production creates jobs. It has been said that without WW2, the depression of 29 would have continued for a long time. That may be the only way we get out of this, assuming that global war can be kept a "land" war. Teddy Roosevelt said it well, "walk softly and carry a big stick". Economic calamity breeds unrest in the world and no matter who our president is, we will NOT be liked!!

Obama is an intelligent man but he is not the Messiah as the press and part of the population seem to think. I am trusting that he will make intelligent decisions and honor his oath of office. We can not ask more.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]