Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )
   Mobile App

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> C. S. Lewis, Finally Reading Narnia After 40 Years!
Bookmark and Share
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 28-Oct-2005, 09:16 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hi all!

Years and years ago, I read the The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. I was inspired to do so after seeing an animated version of it on TV. I don't know why I never went on to read the other books. But recently I saw the entire series collected into one novel in our local Wal-Mart and decided to splurge and to take the plunge into these books. And boy am I ever glad that I did! I am now about halfway through the first book, The Magician's Nephew, and boy is it good. I especially loved the scene where Aslan sang Narnia into existence. Absolutley beautiful! And I am loving all of the Christian parallels too! I can't wait to read the rest. And I'm looking forward to the big-screen version of TLTWATW this Christmas too, but I hope it doesn't get lost and forgotten in the Harry Potter craze when the new HP movie comes out in November! sad.gif

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Are there any other CS Lewis fans out there?

--------------------
Sln agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tr mo chridhe. 'S i Gidhlig cnan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Antwn 
Posted: 29-Oct-2005, 12:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

I like the Chronicles. I read them many years ago too. I also used to have a BBC film of them. It was a bit low budget by our current standards. It wasn't animated it was live action.

Here's the site about Disney's film version coming out in December.

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/narnia/

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 30-Oct-2005, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (WizardofOwls @ 28-Oct-2005, 09:16 AM)
I especially loved the scene where Aslan sang Narnia into existence. Absolutley beautiful!

. . .  I hope it doesn't get lost and forgotten in the Harry Potter craze when the new HP movie comes out in November! sad.gif

Anyway, I've rambled on long enough. Are there any other CS Lewis fans out there?

Wow. Must have been something in the water back then, when Lewis and Tolkien were writing. You remember of course that the world is sung into existence in the Silmarillion as well.

It won't. They timed it carefully enough, both parties. By Christmas, the Potter thing will be damped down enough for a new gorgeous, thrilling fantasy work. By all the signs, both of them really are going to be stunning and grand, and of course they are very different from each other. There's no bottom to our appetite for fantasy!

Getting to be a fan. I have promised myself I must read the whole Chronicles before the movie. angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 01:17 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Connecticut

female

Stormeil, you beat me to it! I was going to mention Sil tongue.gif

Actually, Lewis and Tolkien were friends and, at one point, I think, Fellows of the same College. Tolkien was the one who convinced Lewis that Faith was important to a person's life; Lewis became Catholic and then out-Catholiced the original Catholic Tolkien! (You know how converts are wink.gif ). They had difficulties in later life, but I believe that they eventually resolved their differences.

I'm clearly going to have to dig out Narnia again!

--------------------
user posted image Just a wee deoch an dorris user posted image
"Not all who wander are lost"

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 01-Nov-2005, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Wiz,

The Chronicles are an incredible set of books in and of themselves, but when reread as a Christian, they take on much deeper meaning and beauty, so I am glad you are re-reading them. There is so much to think about in those books! So much meat to chew on spiritually if you will. The end of the last book - "The Last Battle" - is so incredible, where they speak of death (there is also an amazing reference Tolkkein gives in LOTR). It has been such a comfort to me when dealing with the passing of relatives and friends. It would be awesome to get into a discussion about alot of those points/topics here on CR!

Either way, I hope that Disney does not minimize the roots of these books and the message they are trying to get across as Disney so often does with many of its movies, but instead has made this movie in a way that respects the beliefs of Lewis and so many others. I will still enjoy it if they don't, but it will diminish the enjoyment somehow....

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
gallesjrrt 
Posted: 02-Nov-2005, 09:46 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Connecticut

female

QUOTE (susieq76 @ 01-Nov-2005, 08:37 PM)
The Chronicles are an incredible set of books in and of themselves, but when reread as a Christian, they take on much deeper meaning and beauty, so I am glad you are re-reading them.

While I'm not really Christian anymore, I was when I read the books and, more importantly, Lewis was when he wrote them. Do you know, there was a plot afoot several years ago to edit the clearly Christian references out of the books to make them more "saleable"!?! huh.gif ohmy.gif mad.gif How ridiculous is THAT!
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 02-Nov-2005, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

VERY ridiculous! Even if I were not a Christian, I would still want to read the books the way the author wrote them! Anything else would ruin the books and completely change the feeling of the stories!

I have now finished the first and second books and am getting ready to start book 3, The Horse and His Boy. I can't wait! smile.gif
Rindy 
Posted: 05-Nov-2005, 10:39 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Wizard,
So strange I was in a book store today picked up a C.S Lewis book sat it back down walked around picked it up again- all I remember was it had a lion on it. Anyhow I put it back and left without anything.. Now I am finding this- may have to go all the way back this week to get it..

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 06-Nov-2005, 06:07 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

OH Rindy dear! You have GOT to at least read The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe, even if you don't read the other books! (But I think once you read that one, you'll just HAVE to read the rest! wink.gif ) They are EXCELLENT books!

I don't know how you feel about reading books that are soon coming out as a movie. Some people like to read the book first and then see the movie, others vice versa. But one way or the other, read the book AND see the movie! I think you'll love them!
Rindy 
Posted: 06-Nov-2005, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Thanks Wizard! I knew I should of bought that.. If you like I am sure too. As far as the movie or the book it doesn't matter as long and I see it and read it...

Slainte smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 06-Nov-2005, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

I agree with you Wizard. It really bothers me when editors think they can "improve upon" an author's work, and when the reasoning behind it is to make it more saleable, it becomes even more odious.

SuzieQ - yeah, lets hope Disney doesn't succumb to its marketing department's research data so much that the "based on the C of N" disclaimer really means just a stolen story line with just a passing similarity to the original.

As far as the Christian elements and references go, surely Mel Gibson's The Passion of the Christ has demonstrated the marketability of films with Christian themes enough so that studios refrain from too much editing for that reason. But you can't really tell with the film industry, sometimes they make really bold decisions which turn out really well, other times they see sugar plum dollar signs dancing everywhere around a project and take a really good idea and render it into schlock. Their whining about lack of attendance at theaters of late may make them ponder the novel idea of quality once again....one can hope at least. The elements of good drama haven't changed since Sophocles, just the technology of the presentation.
PMEmail Poster               
Arien 
Posted: 22-Nov-2005, 09:49 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Amateria in the West

female

"Shadowlands" is an excellent movie about C.S. Lewis. If you have never seen it I strongly recommend it. Anthony Hopkins makes a wonderful C.S. Lewis.

"The blows of the chisel which hurt us so much, are what make us perfect."

My personal favorite in the Narnia series is The Horse and His Boy.

--------------------
"'Mercy!" Cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?'

'The names of all the stars, and of all living things, and the whole history of Middle-earth and over-heaven and of the sundering seas,' laughed Pippin. 'Of course! What less? But I am not in a hurry tonight."

~The Two Towers, JRR Tolkein
PMEmail Poster               
Boadiccea 
Posted: 24-Jan-2006, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacElder

Realm: Asheville, NC

female

I got them for xmas, can't wait to read them.

--------------------
~Slainte Mhath~
PMEmail Poster                
Daughter of Eve 
Posted: 20-Oct-2008, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Delaware, USA

female

I don't think I will ever get tired of reading The Chronicles of Narnia!

--------------------
Daughter of Eve
PMEmail Poster               
Montie, druid at heart 
  Posted: 23-Oct-2008, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Sugar Grove, VA

male

I ran a bible school one time with 5th and 6th graders taking them through the book as the characters in the book (the kids). I had to add a couple of kid characters. I threw in a couple of other scenes (like they woke up with horses and chariots coming towards them and had to realize that the were at the parting of the sea). It went pretty well I think. I ended up doing a couple more the next few years on different books. It is a lot of work for the design of the adventure. I did it one time with out a book, which made the story line alot harder. Anyway, the C.S. Lewis books mad a great platform for this type of bible school adventure. I would recommend it.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt