Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
241,779 Gold!

I saw a great program on the Celts a few weeks back that I have been meaning to mention on this board. I believe it might have been on PBS - not sure if anyone caught it.

It basically examined the Celtic Pagen religion of pre-christian Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Britian. Alot of our traditions today are based on these Celtic Pagen rituals - like halloween.

What historians find extremely interesting is that all of the british isles where converted to Christianity without any bloodshed or terrible wars that have always accompanies these transfers in religion.

The therory, and it seems to have been proved by the makers of this film, is that alot of the Catholic rituals in church have Celtic roots. So in essence, when Christianity came to the isles, it was more of a conversion of the two religions with Christianity coming out on top. That is why alot of these Celtic traditions continue in present day.

Well, if you happen to grab a repeat of the show, I would highly recommend it. I believe it was based in Ireland and examined alot of the traditions that still presists in Ireland that have pre-christian roots.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 03-Jul-2002, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

I doubt I can see it anywhere here, but it's true that much of the christian religion is based on Celtic Rituals...
like Trinity (Spirit - Christ - Mother) in Celtic: (Morrigan (If I'm not wrong) - Cernunnos - Dana)

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]