Patch 
Posted: 11-Sep-2008, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Yes, sometimes. It does bother me when I know a politician is telling lies and the masses just take it in and believe every word.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 11-Sep-2008, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Patch;

I think all politicians yours and ours go to a special school where they learn that if they tell a lie long enough and loud enough it becomes the truth. I think Dr. Goebels said something to that effect circa 1930s'.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 11-Sep-2008, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Sadly that works!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 11-Sep-2008, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

QUOTE (Patch @ 11-Sep-2008, 08:57 PM)
Sadly that works!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch;

How true.

Anyway I'm off to our nations' capitol on Sat. and if I see any of our gallant leaders I will be sure to ignore them just as they ignore the people unless they want something.

Camac.

Patch 
Posted: 11-Sep-2008, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 11-Sep-2008, 10:52 PM)
QUOTE (Patch @ 11-Sep-2008, 08:57 PM)
Sadly that works!

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch;

How true.

Anyway I'm off to our nations' capitol on Sat. and if I see any of our gallant leaders I will be sure to ignore them just as they ignore the people unless they want something.

Camac.

Have a good trip and as is my favorite saying, "Give em hell"!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 29-Nov-2008, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

To-day 29 Nov. 2008 Canada stands on the brink of History and within a week we will learn if we go back to the polls or possibly have a coalition government, the first time that occurred was 1917, 91 years ago under P.M. Borden during the 1st War. Under our system this could very easily happen as the G.G. has the constitutional right to ask the opposition if they can form a government after a vote of non-confidence brings the rulling government down. To be honest I don't like Harper and his Conservatives but the country doesn't need this now, we have enough problems. In the last election Harper promised to work with all parties to come up with a solution to the financial crisis and as usual he was all talk and no action. His Finance Minister, Flaherty, stood in Parliament and said not one word about a proposed stimulus pack just how they were going to cut programs to save money. Canada might be in the best situation of all industrialized nations but we aren't out of the line of fire and we are going to get hit. Especially the Auto Sector which is the largest part of our Industrial base. The Gods protect us from fools and simpletons.

Camac.

LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 29-Nov-2008, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

QUOTE (Camac @ 29-Nov-2008, 09:11 AM)
Especially the Auto Sector which is the largest part of our Industrial base. The Gods protect us from fools and simpletons.

Camac.

But dear Camac,

Whether we like it or not our neighbors to the south are the "driving" force behind our economy. Right now our neighbors are between governments so the real decisions will be taken after January 20th. Yes they have helped the banking industry, bailed them out is a better word, why, because there banking system was in shambles. This is one area where we canadians should be the example to follow, no system is perfect and our banks are still making profits be it less then expected.

Getting back to the auto industry I believe we do have to wait to see the American package and then our help to this industry can be and will be more pertinent. I can't see how GM in Canada could survive if GM in the States goes bankrupt. No one likes it when the government meddles in companies business, but in this case with the size of the bail out, conditions will have to be imposed to the GM's of this world. You can't keep on living over your head with the tax payers money.

Note: Since my english is not very good today I have asked the help of my husband to help express my opinion so it be understood without offense.

LOA smile.gif

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Camac
Posted: 29-Nov-2008, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

LOA;

The truth be known I am against bailing out the Auto Industry. Even if they go bankrupt they will still be here. Someone else will buy them out reduce the size and make cars that people want and can afford. If the government decides to help the big three it should be under very stringent rules. It should be in the form of loans that must be paid back with interest and the big three have to have a viable working plan that is going to bring long term benefits. The big problem is with the U.S. in that in order for the big three to survive there they will close plants and layoff workers and the first ones to go will be plants outside the U,S, such as Oshawa and Windsor. Last night on the news they announced that the Ontario Gov. has given Ford, G.M., and Chrysler 3 days to come up with a viable plan for consideration. To bad Magna didn't buy Chrysler when they had the opportunity.

Camac.

oldraven 
Posted: 29-Nov-2008, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

Camac, I am all for loaning the money to the Detroit 3 (we no longer can call them the Big Three). Otherwise, I agree with what you've said. They do have to show a proven long term plan to get back to profitability, and just like back in 1979, it should be a loan. That loan was paid back in full, with interest, so there's no reason to think this one won't be.

About the product, the sad situation is that GM and Ford are producing those cars people are asking for. They just don't buy them when they're delivered. I think the most important part of this whole auto sector crisis is it will have, and already has, forced the domestic automakers to produce better, higher quality, more economical, unique cars, at the same time that North Americans realise how important it is to support the local auto sector. Two lessons will be learned here. They're also planning to DRIVE to Washington, with a number of workers from different states, in 51 of Detroit's environmentally friendly and fuel efficient models (yes, 51 between mostly two automakers, since Chrysler only has three EV converted cars as concepts; a Caravan, a Wrangler, and a Lotus Europa with a Dodge badge on the snout), as an attempt to show that they have indeed been working hard on developing low emissions, fuel sipping, hybrid driven, top quality cars for the market. This is a very obvious and VISIBLE campaign that will show, literally, the North American public that the stigma the D3 live with as builders of only dino-guzzling SUVs, trucks, and full size cars that drive like they're made of pop-sickle sticks and elastic bands, is way off base, and outdated. An old stigma that has been proven wrong by statistics, awards, and independent testing. They've even had to set up a virtual caravan for all of the hundreds of people who showed an interest in making the trip to DC with the automakers, to show support. Of course, they were given a 'Thanks, but no thanks', because that would be a nightmare when the Environmental groups got wind of it.

The US Gov. has already demanded that the D3 come back to the table with clearly outlined plans for turnaround and cost cutting. The previous $25B deal is for the tooling, development, and building of new green cars and technologies. That can't be used in the other bleeding arms of the corporation.

I was rooting for Magna to win the bid to buy Chrysler as well, but now I'm glad they didn't. Chrysler (Cerberus) is a lame duck. I really don't think this loan will get them farther than six months down the road. The best option now is for Magna to be there to buy the manufacturing and design infrastructure after Chrysler is dismantled. It would be much better to have Magna as its own auto manufacturer with their home offices in Canada, than have the fall of an auto giant on the hands of a Canadian buisiness. I don't know about you, but I'd be ecstatic to own an honest Canadian car, marketed as by green car company.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 29-Nov-2008, 12:27 PM
Quote Post

Zodiac

oldraven;;
Didn't there use to be a Canadian car that was designed and made in Nova Scotia. I believe it was a luxury sports car made from stainless steel. It would be great if Magna did produce its own car.

Camac.

oldraven 
Posted: 29-Nov-2008, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

QUOTE (Camac @ 29-Nov-2008, 11:27 AM)
oldraven;;
Didn't there use to be a Canadian car that was designed and made in Nova Scotia. I believe it was a luxury sports car made from stainless steel. It would be great if Magna did produce its own car.

Camac.

The Briklin SV1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bricklin_SV-1 It was produced in New Brunswick, but wasn't any more a Canadian car company than GM, as they both had foreign ownership. Malcolm Bricklin was the brainchild behind the car, and he set up the factories in NB just as VW sets up factories in Brazil and Mexico. Back in the 70's, Canada was actually a cheap place to build a car, whereas a year ago we were technically the most expensive place on earth to build one. That explains the plight of Oshawa.

Now, there is a company in Quebec who's developed a mid-engined supercar, and has shown two prototypes at auto shows in the past. The Locus Plethore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locus_plethore

There are also a number of small outfits that build EV's and such, though the biggest, Zenn (Zero Emissions No Noise), is only available for sale in Quebec, thanks to Transport Canada ruling against them in a regulation for low speed vehicles, though in the US it's available in most States. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZENN
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 30-Nov-2008, 08:26 AM
Quote Post

Zodiac

oldraven;

If you have been watching the news things are going to bein turmoil over the next week. Harper has already backed down over the election subsidies and by delaying the vote gives them time to come up with something on the economy. We live in interesting times.

Camac

PS: "Only in Canada".

Patch 
Posted: 30-Nov-2008, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I was by the local GM dealer this AM and the big SUV's and 4wd pickups are now over 90% if their inventory. There were also 5 full size Cadillac's No Pontiacs or Buicks and 3 Chevrolets. There was a Corvette in the show room.

They have no room for more Vehicles.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 01-Dec-2008, 06:59 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

Thank goodness Truck and SUV sales have picked back up. I don't think GM or Ford will continue on with their previous emphasis on these vehicles, but it will help them immensely to get rid of the inventory so they can get the new models in.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]