Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Surnames, Does it really reveal your heritage?
Elspeth 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (Catriona @ Feb 20 2004, 06:56 AM)
Northumberland is certainly one of the English counties that lies close to the Border.

Did you know that there is an ancient form of 'castle' called a Peel (or Pele) Tower? They were common throughout the borders area - on both sides!

I seem to recall that the name comes from the word 'Pale'....

A few years ago there was an article on the Peel castle in the Cleveland paper. The article made it sound like it was the ruins of a specific castle. But you're saying it was a type of castle structure? Interesting. Wonder why they have that name.

And if my name comes from the word pale that certianly describes me biggrin.gif if not my grandfather who was nicknamed Brownie because he got so tan. Then again, who would want to be called Moss? That family was nuts. There were 17 kids and every one went by a nickname. I can't keep 4 names straight, 34 would be beyond imagining. tongue.gif

Mailagnas, I didn't know DNA studies were being done for geneological (sp?) purposes. Interesting.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Catriona 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

The word peel is from the latin 'palus'... because the first Peel towers were often constructed of wood.

There IS a specific castle called Peel Castle, but I think it's on the Isle of Man!

The whole borders area is dotted with ruined and renovated Peel Towers. When you travel up to Scotland by train, you start seeing the peel towers (mostly ruins) just south of Durham... but I think there are probably a lot more dotted around the English side of the border than just the area I've mentioned.

The borderers have a very interesting history... in many ways much more interesting than the highlands....

Here's a map showing the main area of interest in historical terms...

http://www.pro.gov.uk/pathways/utk/maps/scotinset.htm

The Border Reiver families (not clans) such as Armstrong, Scott and others have colourful histories - well worth reading about.

The land is and was even in historical times - some of the most productive in Scotland - it was therefore a valuable commodity - stealing cattle, stealing sheep, acting as 'protection' racketeers - hmmmm, yes - those must have been frightening times to live in that area!
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 08:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Thanks Catriona. Now that you mention it, I think the article was on the castle on the Isle of Man.

My Peel ancestors emmigrated from Bedlington in Northumberland, which I understand is near the coast and was at that time(1836) a coal mining region, which seems fitting as they moved into a coal mining area in Pennsylvania and my grandfather was a coal miner. I wonder what it was like earlier.

I have a gut feeling that most of my ancestors might have been from the borders region. When the English crown chose families for the plantation of Ulster, did they mostly come from the borders or was it more widespread throughout the lowland(protestant) areas? We have a branch that came from Ulster in 1803- Anderson. I understand that is a pretty common name. Is there a particular region Andersons are from or are they from about everywhere?

I forgot, which region is Edinburgh part of? Lothian? That's not considered to be a border region is it? Too far north right? I don't have the map with the regions handy.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ Feb 19 2004, 07:13 PM)
Ravenwing,

Was ein ist Tachenrechner? (What is a Tachenrechner?) huh.gif

According to my freshman German class it is a calculator.

(I only took German for 4 weeks, transferred to a school that did not offer German sad.gif)

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 08:49 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ Feb 19 2004, 04:29 PM)
Spanish? Russian? *asking curiously* cool.gif

Yes, I took Spanish when I was in high school, and I majored in Russian Area Studies in college
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

a Taschenrechner is a calculator... *nods*

I'd love to learn Russian, since I plan to travel to there one fine day...

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 20 2004, 09:47 AM)
According to my freshman German class it is a calculator.
(I only took German for 4 weeks, transferred to a school that did not offer German sad.gif)
In that case: Ich habe einen anständigen Taschenrechner an Radio Shack für weniger als $50.00 gekauft.

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 20 2004, 09:47 AM)
Yes, I took Spanish when I was in high school, and I majored in Russian Area Studies in college

I also took Spanish in High School, but I don't speak it or German (I've been cheating on the German, I use this website to translate for me: http://www.freetranslation.com/). I have a hard enough time speaking American English (Midwest dialect, though have been accused by a cousin of sounding like I'm from Texas laugh.gif )

MacEoghainn

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 01:00 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

well, a decent german-english online dictionary is http://dict.leo.org.
They also offer their service for french-german now... but I would guess that isn't much use to you wink.gif
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Feb 20 2004, 07:00 PM)
well, a decent german-english online dictionary is http://dict.leo.org.
They also offer their service for french-german now... but I would guess that isn't much use to you wink.gif

It could translate "Je suis fromage" for me laugh.gif

(basically the only French I know)
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Feb 20 2004, 02:56 PM)
I'd love to learn Russian, since I plan to travel to there one fine day...

It was surprisingly easy for me. If you know the Greek alphabet, you can figure out Russian. Unfortunately, I have forgotten a lot of it in the past couple of years.
PMEmail Poster               
MacEoghainn 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 01:34 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Feb 20 2004, 06:16 AM)
I think things had lightened up by then.  biggrin.gif The scandal I am referring to happened in the late 1600's. But it probably still wouldn't have been the preferred marriage. If my great-great-great-greats knew I married a Catholic and then we both became Presbyterian they'd be rolling over in their graves so quickly it would look like dancing, which of course they were forbidden to do.  rolleyes.gif

You know the name Pixler does look familiar to me. What part of PA are you talking about? This branch of my family came over in 1737, first settling around Philadelphia and moving west to Sommerset Co, and then ending up in Indiana Co.

My great-grandfather didn't end his naughty.gif "sinning" evil.gif with his marriage to my great-grandmother, years latter he ran off with his oldest daughters best friend. Talk about rolling over in your grave! jawdrop.gif

My immigrant Pixler/Bixler/Bichsel ancestor was Christian Bixler b.October 05, 1706 in Sumiswald, Eggiwill, Bern, Switzerland and immigrated to Cocalico Township, Lancaster, Pennsylvania sometime before 1734. His wife's name was Catherine Shearer, also born in Switzerland about 1715.

The Pixler/Bixler/Bichsel's stayed in the Lancaster area until my ancestor, John Pixler b.June 05, 1801, got lost wink.gif and wandered over the border into Virginia (what is now Monongalia County, West Virginia) and married a young Irish lass (about 1825) named Elizabeth Henry (daughter of James and Elizabeth Henry, both born in Ireland).

MacEoghainn
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 02:03 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Feb 20 2004, 09:49 AM)

That's great! I love languages and what one can do with them: to communicate! I had English, French, Latin (urrrgh!) and Spanish at school and learnt a bit Italian...
Not long ago I started to study Scots...will still take some time, I'm afraid. unsure.gif I love to listen to the sound of Scottish voices!

Russian is very interesting, too...perhaps one day... smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 02:11 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

learning languages is alot of fun I think. I started on Italian when I was just 7 but didn't do much until I took it again in school 10 years later. I've also learned English and French in school and I'm currently learning Finnish...

I absolutely love being able to communicate with people from all over the world...
PMEmail Poster               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 02:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Finnish...you have friends over there, havn't you? Must be interesting; a very different language!
I'd agree, learning languages definitely can be fun! And when I'm travelling a country I prefer understanding and speaking its language good enough to be able to communicate with the people there...Then you have a chance to REALLY get to know country and people and to see and visit places remote from the tourist centers.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 20-Feb-2004, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

female

yup, that's what I love about it.

I was going to travel to finland this year but becoming pregnant made that plan void smile.gif We were going to visit a few friends and go and see the midnight sun...
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]