Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bubba In The Holey Lands ! ?!, Play away friends!
oldraven 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

((Slotglas))

Slotglas rested one musket against the larboard bow rail, motioning Pick to do the same. He took aim, and fired a ball into the mob. It hit one man on the leading edge of the crowd square in the throat, and passed through to catch another in the abdomen. He handed the gun to the boy, let the sack of amunition drop to the deck, and set the powder horn down beside it. Stay down below the rail, and keep those coming.

He bellered over the starboard bow, Get those ropes loose, or you'll be linin' a crows cage by mornin. The two young men struggled with the last tie, and let it drop in the water. No time to worry about wet ropes at this time. Now get up here and pull the gang plank before the ship drifts off without you. The moment they reached the deck, the boat leaned over. The men grabbed at the gang board, but the end dropped off the dock into the water. They struggled with it for a moment, while the captain sent steel volley's into the crowd.

Are these your friends, Phartripper? By now, the remaining crew was back above, and those who weren't aiding Slotglas in his efforts were quick to the gang, pulling it up and out of the way.

Within a few minutes, they had cast off, and the last of the offending bullets were making harmless impacts with the thick hull. Good work, lad. No need to waste any more now. Help Alwan with any injuries to the crew. Bogrit, what's the dammage? The Captain walked to the rear of the Swallow and took the helm. He often did this, even if only for a moment, to give him a bearing on the current situation. A forced moment of clarity, so to speak.

I dare say it's time for that meeting, Phartripper. Bogrit, the ship's yours. After handing the wheel over to the mate, Captain Slotglas walked through the open door to his cabin and waited for his hire to bring the maps.

((OOC))
I'll post a link to a ship I think we'll be basing our Ocean Swallow on, in the description thread.

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Phartripper entered the Captains cabin and dropped the load of maps from his hands to the navigation table...

Captain, these are one of a kind maps, they lead to great knowledge and must be gaurded from anyone's eyes but yours and mine!

... I hope I can trust this man... he was referenced highly...

You will see once we get out of the harbor, we must sail absolute north for about 40 degrees longitude... from there... well you will see when you examine the maps...

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail PosterRead My Blog View My Photographs               
oldraven 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 02:42 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

It took only a moment for Slotglas to see what the man was getting at. I certainly hope you know what you're getting us into. The Nausea was the least of their worries. I wouldn't get too accustomed to any of your crew. There's not much chance we'll be coming back with more than half of them.

There was a call from outside his door which prompted the Captain to look out a window at the rear of the cabin. There, just freeing itself from port, was a ship, more than matching the Swallow in size, and closing fast. Sloglas had seen it when they passed by on the dock, and had counted eight cannon's a side. A new flag was flying, however. A large black, dominant 'O' whipped in the wind. I'd like you to see this, Phartripper. You were no doubt expecting them.

The Captain opened the cabin door and hollered, Full sail! And lean hard on it. We'll show these boys where the horizon sets. There were only a handful of vessels on the seas that could match the Ocean Swallow in speed.

Bogrit began barking orders as soon as the door was once again shut.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

We will return with all hands as long as they do not do something stupid on thier own...

... I made this trip once with a smaller crew and brought all hands back alive... does this man doubt my objectives and skill?...

Phartripper looks at the pursueing vessel and just shrugs his shoulders...

... if you are the seaman you are reported to be captain, we will soon out distance that heavy ship...
oldraven 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 03:20 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

We'll be away from them before they can curse us. I just wanted to point out that you have an aweful lot of firepower after you. Know that any damage my ship takes will be paid by you, in funds and sweat. Slotglas stepped around his desk and pulled open a drawer. He produced a gleaming black bottle, with foreign lettering, and two sparkling glas tumblers, used only in such a time. He half filled both and bid Phartripper to take one. After corking the bottle, and replacing it in the drawer, he raised his glass to the man and said, To the journey.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Phartripper repied:

It will be the journey of your life time captain...

TO THE JOURNEY

Phartripper downed the liquid and turned and returned to the deck... he glanced back at Slotglas and said:

you coming above to see we make it... or are ye going to stay below and get drunk?

oldraven 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 03:47 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

((Jesdone))

Did someone mention drink? Those two are getting aweful cosy. You fullows all done yer little private party? What a day. Hey, at least my feet are still dry.

((Slotglas))

He stepped out of the cabin and relieved Bogrit from the helm. Good work, men. The enemy is falling behind us, and we'll be out of scope sight by morning. It was getting on dusk now. The gulls were letting out their last cries, as they drifted farther out to sea, and the ocean gleamed in the falling sunlight; black against the fiery evening sky.

Pick walked by, in front of the wheel, and the Captain said to him, Again, you did well, boy. He recalled that first shot, that took down two men. Seems you're going to be my spot of good luck on this journey.
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 11-Apr-2005, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

(OOC sorry I wasn't in on this guys, I had to work today and it appears I missed out on all of the fun! sad.gif )

Gilidorfus thought he was over his bought with sea-sickness, but another wave of nausea proved him wrong. He had been useless during the recent fight as he had clung tightly to the ship's rail, returning his lunch to the sea from which it had come.

Augggg! he thought, if I have to look at anymore fish....

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
Swanny 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 12:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Damd Dawg trotted laps around the deck twice before settling again before the binacle, where he could view the entire deck. He was HUNGRY, but he was accustomed to that sensation. He was THIRSTY too, but with no fresh water in sight was resigned to a dry evening. He tail thumped on the wooden deck twice before he again tucked it and his huge paws beneath his body.

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Phartripper saw the dog settle in and knew he must be hungery and thirsty...

...Captain... what rations and water do we have on board?

I suggest we take substanence while we can...and I think our furry mascot could use some too...
oldraven 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHazel

male

((Slotglas))

Alwan went down to the galley a half hour ago. There should be food for the crew any time now. We have full stores, for twenty men. I was expecting a larger company than you brought, and any time I dock the ship, I gather resources before seeking out the hire. Makes for fewer surprises. He was standing, feet spread, and one hand behind his back, at the wheel. The place he felt most at home. If you ask Bogrit, he'll show you to the stores. You can fetch a drink for the dog, but be reasonable. Out here, we have no way to get our water back when it's gone.

After a moment or two, a small bell hung low from the main mast rang. The twine that rang the bell ran through a series of loops before disapearing in a hole in the deck floor. Bogrit. Pick half the crew to go down below and eat. The rest of us will eat when you return. He never got sick of the smell of a well grilled haddock.
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 12-Apr-2005, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ 11-Apr-2005, 05:12 PM)
((Slotglas))

Slotglas rested one musket against the larboard bow rail, motioning Pick to do the same. He took aim, and fired a ball into the mob. It hit one man on the leading edge of the crowd square in the throat, and passed through to catch another in the abdomen. He handed the gun to the boy, let the sack of amunition drop to the deck, and set the powder horn down beside it. Stay down below the rail, and keep those coming.

Within a few minutes, they had cast off, and the last of the offending bullets were making harmless impacts with the thick hull. Good work, lad. No need to waste any more now. Help Alwan with any injuries to the crew. Bogrit, what's the dammage?

Pick was very excited and self-concious about the success that they had and felt a bit angry about being sent away now. But finally he nodded and trotted of, head held high and feeling years older.

He went down to the kitchen and called:

"Hei Alwan - is there anyone injured or anything you need a hand with?"

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 14-Apr-2005, 03:35 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Alwar looked with a sullen face to the scrawny boy. However, he shook his head:

"Noone injured, lad ... these landrats can't shoot, hehehe. As to other help ... , how good are ye peeling potatoes, gutting cod and cleaning vegetables? I could do with help there ... " He looked at Picks sullen face as the boy heard the suggestions. "If ye don't want to or feel incapable of doing this, be gone and this instant!" , he bellowed.

Pick felt very tempted to do just that, but then word would spread that he could not do simple tasks like these and else that he was scared away ... So he grabbed a knife and looked at the cook. "Where's them spuds?", he asked cockily.

Alwar pointed to two baskets and three large buckets under the table - in one was full to the brim with potates, one with carrots and the pails were filled with the fish.

Pick sighed and started to peel the potatoes as fast as he could. "That's better, " snarled Alwar.

Soon a delicious smell began to rise from the kitchen unto the topdeck.
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 15-Apr-2005, 03:07 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Once Gili's had emptied his stomach of its contents, he started to feel a little better. He decided to go below deck to find out what quarters would be his. He had brought no personal belongings with him other than a spare change of clothes, so he only needed to put those up. He was doing just that when the aroma of cooking fish reached his nostrils. He quickly headed back above deck to get reacquainted with the railing...
PMEmail PosterView My Photographs               
Faileas 
Posted: 15-Apr-2005, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

QUOTE (oldraven @ 11-Apr-2005, 10:47 PM)
((

When the fish and potatoes and vegetables were all cooked, Alwar (ooc: sorry for that slip hehe, it's an old weakness with names, alas wink.gif biggrin.gif ) ordered Pick to tell the captain that dinner was ready. Pick vanished as quickly as he could out of the kitchen and returned onto the topdeck and looked for the Captain. Finally he saw him on the bridge and walked over to him.

Pick walked by, in front of the wheel, and the Captain said to him, Again, you did well, boy. He recalled that first shot, that took down two men. Seems you're going to be my spot of good luck on this journey.

The boy grinned and said: "Hope ye gonna say that after dinner, Sir. Alwar sends me to let ye know that it's readt if ye' re hungry."

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Fast ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]