Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Religious Vs. Spirituality, what is the difference?
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 11:27 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

I have heard a number of times someone state that they are not "religious, but are spiritual".
What does this mean?

My initial thought is that when a person states that they are spiritual, as opposed to being religious, they are merely excusing themslves from the fellowship of believers. Meaning, it is an excuse for not going to church.

I realized this may not be true at all. It is just an initial theory of mine on the subject. Our salvation is not based upon church attendance, but it is something our Lord asks us to do (Hebrews 10:25). book.gif

Any thoughts?
PMEmail Poster               
maisky 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (jpmoore @ 11-Jan-2005, 11:27 AM)
I have heard a number of times someone state that they are not "religious, but are spiritual".
What does this mean?

My initial thought is that when a person states that they are spiritual, as opposed to being religious, they are merely excusing themslves from the fellowship of believers. Meaning, it is an excuse for not going to church.

I realized this may not be true at all. It is just an initial theory of mine on the subject. Our salvation is not based upon church attendance, but it is something our Lord asks us to do (Hebrews 10:25).  book.gif

Any thoughts?

There are many different religeous doctrins in the world. Some people believe in one doctrine and get their "spirituality" from that. Some chose to study more than one tradition and develop their spiritual nature in THAT fashion. We should never make the mistake of thinking that OUR way is the ONLY way. smile.gif The fact that you are asking this question is a very good indication that you have a strong seeking spirit. thumbs_up.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 12:51 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Religion is the following of a man induced system of belief...

Spirituality is a connection with the energy that is all around in the universe for all to share.

Yes it is that simple.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
maisky 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ 11-Jan-2005, 12:51 PM)
Religion is the following of a man induced system of belief...

Spirituality is a connection with the energy that is all around in the universe for all to share.

Yes it is that simple.

Good answer, Sir Shadows! Sometimes a simple answer cuts to the truth. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 05:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

When I looked up Hebrews 10:25, here is the NIV version:

"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another?and all the more as you see the Day approaching."

Could it be an excuse not to go to church? Quite possibly. Many people think they are doing okay and following the Christian way, when sometimes they are not. And they don't want others telling them that. Also, Jesus said at the Last Supper "Do this in remembrance of me." That communion is commanded by Jesus for us to do.
Religion I see more as something studied, a classification for us to use. Spirituality as your relationship with God. external versus internal.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Moon Child 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Saskatchewan, Canada

female

I myself find that I am both religious and spiritual but I do not go to church. I practice the wiccan religion and I have found that there are wiccan churches for people who practice in a coven but I choose to practice solitary. So just because someone may be religious doesn't mean that they have to go to church.
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 17-Jan-2005, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

In Christianity, we are taught that religion is man/woman trying to seek and please God through their works. Spirituality, on the other hand, is God seeking relationship with His creation and, thus, us having fellowship with the Creator. God is not seeking our works, He is seeking our heart and we are saved by His grace.

Once again, this is the Christian point of view so as to not offend others. smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 17-Jan-2005, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Not offended!

One can be Spiritual without being Religious....
As I stated before religion(s) is/are the creation of mankind...

Spiritualism is the recognition of the forces ( the Creator ) all around us.

One can be religious without having one ounce of spirituality in their body or soul... the folks that followed Jim Jones were religious, but had no idea about Spirituality... that is why they are gone....

Yes Jim Jones called himself christian, as well as many others that have been called cults... def: cults : the following of beliefs not common to the norm... christians were once called a cult.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 17-Jan-2005, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

yes! I would agree with you, Shadows, on everything you said! smile.gif
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Shadows 
Posted: 17-Jan-2005, 06:08 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

I do not try to admonish one belief or another... I just want all to look with eyes wide open and see what is truely there...and follow their hearts and spirit to what is right for them and all mankind...

Believe with your heart, praise that which made you and do not fall victim to the teachings of man... look to the creator and all around you for the answers...

What ever you believe is not wrong!
maisky 
Posted: 18-Jan-2005, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (Shadows @ 17-Jan-2005, 04:13 PM)
Not offended!

One can be Spiritual without being Religious....
As I stated before religion(s) is/are the creation of mankind...

Spiritualism is the recognition of the forces ( the Creator ) all around us.

One can be religious without having one ounce of spirituality in their body or soul... the folks that followed Jim Jones were religious, but had no idea about Spirituality... that is why they are gone....

Yes Jim Jones called himself christian, as well as many others that have been called cults... def: cults : the following of beliefs not common to the norm... christians were once called a cult.

Sir Shadows, thanks for pointing out the "limited" nature of that definition of cult. Too many folks consider that to be it's true definition and use it to justify religious biggotry. Your message of tolerance is RIGHT ON THE MARK. There is room for many belief systems in the world. Tolerance is a VERY good idea. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 18-Jan-2005, 05:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

"Once again, this is the Christian point of view so as to not offend others. "

Why must we apologize for having a Christain view in a Christian forum (Kirk and Chapel)??!

I find this very disturbing. (I am not blaming you CelticRose at all. I think it has more to do with the audience.)
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 18-Jan-2005, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

QUOTE (maryellen @ 18-Jan-2005, 06:34 PM)
"Once again, this is the Christian point of view so as to not offend others. "

Why must we apologize for having a Christain view in a Christian forum (Kirk and Chapel)??!

I find this very disturbing. (I am not blaming you CelticRose at all. I think it has more to do with the audience.)

Agreed smile.gif One should never have to appologise for their beliefs, even if they *DO* offend IMHO.

Everyone has a right to their opinion. Voice it proudly!

I just double checked, and Maryellen is in error on what forum she is in, but what she says still applies here. We are all of varying faiths here, Christian, Wiccan, Shaman, Druid, I don't doubt Buddhist, Muslum, etc... And in the end we are all human. One of the nice things about this world in which we live, and a nice thing about the Internet is that people of all different races, nationalities, religons and creed can come together and share without shame.

No need for appologies smile.gif I know I certainly am not offended. Keep telling us what you think everyone biggrin.gif

/me gives CelticRose a nice comfy seat to stay in the conversation smile.gif

There are warnings of entering this forum at your own risk on this perticular forum for those who might be asilly offended. I'd say don't worry about offending those here smile.gif

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

Shadows 
Posted: 18-Jan-2005, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

male

Thanks Aae I was going to point that out to maryellen, but I decided to leave it be and let someone else say something or for her to realize her mistake.

Tolerance is needed world wide for all beliefs and practices!!!!!

Persicusion and intolerance have no place in this world today.
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 19-Jan-2005, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (CelticRose @ 17-Jan-2005, 04:52 PM)
In Christianity, we are taught that religion is man/woman trying to seek and please God through their works. Spirituality, on the other hand, is God seeking relationship with His creation and, thus, us having fellowship with the Creator. God is not seeking our works, He is seeking our heart and we are saved by His grace.

Once again, this is the Christian point of view so as to not offend others. smile.gif

I like your answer CelticRose!
So many times we try to be religious and completely forget the spiritual side.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]