Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Here is some info I found about Anne of Brittany. It came from:
http://www.brittany-bretagne.com/pg/anne.htm

Anne of Brittany (Anne de Bretagne)

At the death of her father, François II Duke of Brittany, she was only twelve years old, but the pretenders to the throne were already flocking to her. It was the Archduke Maximilien of Hapsburg who became the Emperor by marrying her by proxy.

This union renders Charles VIII unhappy, already married to Marguerite of Austria the daughter of Maximilien, but by paper only. He sends his troops to fight against Brittany and brings to heel most of the Breton towns. He then puts Rennes under siege where he takes refuge with Anne. The people beg the Duchess to break up with Maximilien and to agree to a union with Charles VIII King of France. She meets the King, and from this meeting is born a mutual liking, much to the suprise of everyone. The two of them, still young, get engaged at Rennes. Rome consents to free the two fiancés from their former engagements. The wedding is celebrated at Langeais in the Royal castle on the 6th of December 1491.

King Charles XVIII dies in a stupid accident in 1498. Anne uses the occasion of this mourning to stamp her coins, to reinstate the chancellery and to reunite its states. En 1499, she marries once again a King of France, Louis XII of Orléans, in Nantes. He doesn't impede Anne at all in her aspirations for the Duchy which enjoys peace and prosperity. At her death, on the 9th of January 1514, Anne of Brittany is acknowledged and loved by all of the Breton people.

In 1515 Louis XII dies. Claude, the oldest daughter of the Royal couple, gets married to François I and brings with her as her dowry the Duchy of Brittany. The King rapidly negotiates with the States of Brittany to gain their endorsement. In exchange he grants certain specific rights, one of which being the right to hold parliament. On the 21st of September 1532, Brittany becomes once and for all one of the French provinces.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]