Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sample Highland Gig, Put on your own Highland Dance Show!
CelticRadio 
Posted: 20-Oct-2005, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,281 Gold!

Here is a script for a popular show we put on for local nursing homes and Scottish events. I have this tailored for my 3 kids, but you can easily change this for a group or your own kids! thumbs_up.gif

(Dancers walk in to the tune of Scotland the Brave ? track 1 - and line up)

Background - Hi my names is James MacArthur. Scottish Highland dancing is one of the oldest forms of dancing. It dates back to the 11th or 12th century. According to tradition, the old kings and chiefs of Scotland used the Highland Games and Highland Dancing as a way of choosing the best warriors. Our ancestors came from Scotland and we have decided to continue the tradition of Highland Dancing. We take Highland Dance lessons in Boston once a week and compete at modern day Highland Games across New England.

(James hands mic and paper to Victoria)

Paddy Baws - Hi, my name is Victoria MacArthur. When you first begin to highland dance, you learn 2 dances called paddy baws and paddy baws with highcuts. Michaela is going to perform a set of 16 Baddy Paws and then a set of 16 Baddy Paws with High Cuts.
(Michaela will dance to Paddy Baws ? Track 2, Paddy Baws with Highcuts ? Track 3)

(Hand James the Mic and Paper)

Highland Fling - The oldest of the traditional dances of Scotland is the Highland Fling.

According to tradition, the old kings and chiefs of Scotland used the Highland Dances as a way of choosing the best men for their armies. These dances tested a warrior's strength, stamina and accuracy. The ancient warriors and clansmen performed this dance on a small round shield, which they carried into battle. Most shields had a sharp spike of steel of some 5 to 6 inches in length projecting from the center, so dancers learned early to move with great care - a false or careless step could be more than a little painful. I will now perform the Highland Fling.

(James will dance the Highland Fling ? Track 4)

The Sword Dance - There is no Highland Dance older or better known than the Sword Dance. The Sword Dance is the ancient dance of war of the Scottish Gael and is said to date back to King Malcolm Canmore which is in Shakespear?s MacBeth.

Tradition says that a King Canmore is said to have crossed his own sword with that of his defeated enemy?s sword and danced over them both in victory.

This dance became a tradition among the highland warriors. Clansmen would cross their swords and dance around them in the same way as King Canmore. It was believed that if they could complete the dance without touching the swords, it was a good omen that they would be victorious in the coming battle. However if they touched the sword during the dance it was considered a bad omen of loss or even defeat. Victoria and I will now perform the Sword Dance.

(James and Victoria will dance the Sword Dance ? Track 5)

The Seann Triubhas - The next dance we will perform is called the "shawn trews". This Gaelic phrase means "old trousers". The Seann Triubhas dates back to the Scotland rebellion of 1745 when Bonnie Prince Charlie (of Scotland) challenged the might of England at Culloden. He lost and as a penalty, the Highlanders were forbidden to wear the kilts. The Seann Triubhas is a dance of celebration after the Scots regained the right to wear their kilts and play the bagpipes once more. The movements of this dance clearly depict the legs defiantly shaking and shedding the hated trousers and returning to the freedom of the kilt. I will now perform the Seann Tribhas.
(James will dance the The Seann Tribhas ? Track 6)

(Hand Victoria the Mic and Paper)

The Flora McDonald's Fancy - The Flora MacDonald is said to be the last dance Flora McDonald danced for Bonnie Prince Charlie of Scotland before he fled overseas. Flora McDonald helped the prince escape from the Isle of Skye disguised as her maid. She emigrated to North Carolina, then to Novia Scotia and then returned home to the Isle of Skye later in life. I will now perform the Flora MacDonald.
(Victoria will dance the The Flora MacDonald ? Track 7)

Highland Finale ? We will now all perform a special version of the Highland Fling to the music of ?Maria?s Wedding?. This will conclude our demonstration of Highland Dancing. We hope you have enjoyed the show. Thank you.
(Michaela, James and Victoria will dance the Highland Finale ? Track 8)

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]