> Traditional Christmas Recipes, Meals. cookies and other specialities
stoirmeil 
Posted: 15-Dec-2005, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Absolutely splendid, Shadows! One of my favorite flavor combinations, orange and chocolate -- and the addition of the red pepper is inspired! It really does suggest a recipe for Yule, at the juncture of the year where fire meets earth. biggrin.gif

I do an "adult" cookie that this reminds me of: to an ordinary oatmeal cookie recipe (all my cookie variations are oatmeal cookies) minus the sweet spices like cinnamon, etc., add 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 Tbsp finely ground coffee (adjust the flour amount to make room for the cocoa powder as a dry ingredient), and a drift of ground coriander. Add in some coarsely chopped hazelnuts. If you put a "thumbprint" in it before baking to make a little depression, you can fill that with a dollop of fresh whipped cream before serving. It's like the dessert and the coffee together!
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 19-Dec-2007, 04:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I'm making two pies this year: the above egg nog pie (it's been a hit the past two years) and a banana cream pie.

Directions for banana cream pie:

Get in car. Drive to grocery store. Get a cart or basket. Go to baking aisle. Pick up two packages of Jell-O instant banana cream pudding and a graham cracker pie crust. Put items in cart or basket. Pay cashier. Get back in car. Drive home. Prepare as instructed on box.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 19-Dec-2007, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

lol..Mike..I bet that will be yummy. Don't forget the nanners or do you use those in it? Some people don't

I am going to try making a cheese cake with a rum sauce... now where is that rum?? lol

All of these look so good..thanks for posting these.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
Posted: 23-Dec-2007, 03:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 19-Dec-2007, 06:11 PM)
lol..Mike..I bet that will be yummy. Don't forget the nanners or do you use those in it? Some people don't

No, no fresh bananas. I don't often have them on hand.

I used a bit of a different recipe this time because I wanted the pie to have more body. I bought some Dream Whip and followed the directions on the box.

Also, when it comes to cream pies, I prefer a graham cracker crust instead of a traditional pie crust.
Rindy 
Posted: 25-Dec-2007, 09:14 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 23-Dec-2007, 03:36 PM)

I used a bit of a different recipe this time because I wanted the pie to have more body. I bought some Dream Whip and followed the directions on the box.

Also, when it comes to cream pies, I prefer a graham cracker crust instead of a traditional pie crust.

Thats sounds really good Mike. I agree with you when it comes to cream pies and the crust...no matter how tender..I like graham crackers or cookie crust.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 26-Dec-2007, 06:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Rindy @ 25-Dec-2007, 09:14 PM)

Thats sounds really good Mike. I agree with you when it comes to cream pies and the crust...no matter how tender..I like graham crackers or cookie crust.

Slainte

I just think it tastes better.
stoirmeil 
Posted: 26-Dec-2007, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 26-Dec-2007, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (Rindy @ 25-Dec-2007, 09:14 PM)

Slainte

I just think it tastes better.

Yes, it does! My dad always made his banana pies that way. Here's an idea -- crush up a few ginger snaps, if you like ginger, or coconut cookies (like a very dry macaroon), or fine-crushed walnuts and scatter them around over the graham crust before you pour in the pudding. Adds a subtle flavor boost, and you still have that nice crumb crust.
PMEmail Poster               
Shadows 
Posted: 12-Nov-2008, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

Bumping to the top.

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Leelee 
Posted: 15-Nov-2008, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Alberta, Canada

female

Christmas Morning Wife Saver

This is a dish that my Sister-in-Law & I prepare on Christmas Eve. It is ready for the Oven on Christmas Morning, when all of the Family rushes in. It serves 8, so we double the recipe and make two pans.

16 Slices White Bread with Crusts removed
16 Slices of Canadian Back Bacon or Ham
16 Slices of Sharp Cheddar Cheese
6 Eggs
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/2 to 1 tsp. Dry Mustard
1/4 Cup Minced Onion
1/4 Green Pepper, finely chopped
1 to 2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
3 Cups Whole Milk
Dash of Tobasco Sauce
1/4 lb. Butter
Special K or crushed Corn Flakes

In a 9” x 13” buttered, glass baking dish, put eight (8) pieces of bread. Add pieces to cover dish entirely. Cover bread with slices of back bacon, sliced thin. Lay slices of cheddar cheese on top of the bacon and then cover with slices of bread to make it like a sandwich. In a bowl beat eggs, salt and pepper. To the egg mixure add dry mustard, onion, green pepper, worcestershire sauce, milk and tobasco sauce. Pour over the sandwiches. Cover and let stand in the fridge overnight.

In the morning, melt ¼ lb butter, pour over the top of pan ingredients. Cover with Special K or crushed Corn Flakes. Bake, uncovered, 1 hour at 350 degrees. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with fresh, cut up fruit and hot cinnamon rolls (on the side, of course).
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 16-Nov-2008, 10:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Tia Maria Cake

1 Large Angel Food Cake
1/2 Cup Tia Maria Liqueur
2 Tbsp Whipping Cream
2 Cups Whipping Cream
2 Tbsp Tia Maria Liqueur
2 Tbsp Icing Sugar
6 Almond Roca Chocolate Bars

Cut cake into two layers. Place each on a plate. Combine 1/2 cup Tia Maria and 2 Tbsp cream. Prick cake all over with skewer, both layers. Drizzle Tia Maria mixture over all parts of each layer, bottom and top. Cover with saran wrap and chill several hours. Two hours before serving, whip two cups of cream and fold in 2 Tbsp of Tia Maria and the icing sugar. Ice cake, including layers. Crush Almond Roca and toss over top and side of cake. Chill until serving time.

10 - 12 Servings
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 16-Nov-2008, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

English Trifle

1 Sponge Cake, stale
20 oz Pkg. Frozen Raspberries or Strawberries
1/2 Cup medium Sherry
1 Cup Whipped Cream
Toasted Almonds
Maraschino Cherries
Sherry Custard

Cut sponge cake into slices and arange in a layer in the bottom of a large glass serving bowl. Spoon a layer of semi-thawed fruit over cake. Spoon a layer of sherry custard over fruit and repeat layers finishing with a layer of custard. Pour 1/4 cup sherry over all and refrigerate for 2 hours. Pour remaining sherry over all inserting a silver knife to the bottom in several places so the sherry will soak through. Allow to mellow in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Just before serving, whip cream and spread over the top. Decorate with almonds and cherries.

Sherry Custard

4 Egg Yolks
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
Pinch of Salt
1 Tbsp Flour
1/2 to 1 Cup Medium Sherry
4 Egg Whites, beaten stiff

In top part of double boiler, combine egg yolks, sugar, salt, flour and sherry. Cook over hot water and stir constantly until mixture thickens, about 7 minutes. Remove from heat immediately and fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. This is now ready to be added to the English Trifle.
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 27-Nov-2008, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

Kutia (Wheat Delicacy)

A Traditional Dish for Ukrainian Christmas Eve from Baba's Cookbook

2 Cups Wheat
1/2 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Chopped Nuts
1/2 Cup Poppyseed

Pick out foreign grains from wheat. Rinse well and put wheat in a pan and dry in the oven for 1 hour at 225 degrees. Stir occasionally. Sprinkle with hot water, put in a sturdy sack or bag and pound it with a rolling pin to loosen the outer layer of bran.

Wash the wheat thoroughly by allowing the bran to rise to the top and remove it. Keep rinsing untilthe wheat is free from bran. Soak wheat overnight in 7 cups of water. Cook the wheat in the same water in which it was soaked. Stir frequently and add more water. Cook about 6 to 7 hours. About the last 2 hours, it will thicken so stir often and cook on very low heat.

Wash poppyseed, pouring boiling water over it, rinsing off until it looks clean. Put it on the stove on simmer for about 10 minute and keep the lid on. Grind the poppyseed in the blender or use the finest blade on the food chopper; also nice to leave it whole.

Mix together cooked wheat, poppyseed, nuts, sugar and honey. Serve chilled or warm from the pot.
PM               
Leelee 
Posted: 30-Nov-2008, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

female

3 Layer Poppyseed Cake

Mom always gave us a choice of Birthday Cake to choose for our Celebration. This one was one of my favourites. It's also delicious with Chocolate-Mocha Icing. smile.gif

3/4 Cup Poppyseed
3/4 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Milk
1 1/2 Cups Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
4 Egg Whites
3 tsp. Baking Powder
2 Cups Flour

Soak poppyseed in milk for 5 - 6 hours or overnight. Cream butter & sugar then add vanilla, poppyseed and the milk in which the poppyseed was soaking in. Add flour which has been sifted with baking powder. Mix well. Last, beat egg whites and mix slightly into the batter. Pour in three layer pans, which have been greased and lined with paper. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 25 minutes.

Filling:

1 Cup Sugar
Pinch of Salt
2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
1 tsp. Vanilla
4 Egg Yolks
1 Cup Chopped Walnuts
2 Cups Milk, scalded

Mix sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add beaten egg yolks, then add scalded milk. Boil this until mixture begins to bubble. Remove from stove, add nuts and cool. Spread between layers of cake. Frost with Marshmellow Frosting.

Marshmallow Frosting:

2 Cups Sugar
2/3 Cup Water
1/4 tsp. Cream of Tartar
2 Eggs (Whites only)
1 Cup Marshmallows (cut into small pieces)
1 tsp Vanilla

Combine sugar, water and cream of tartar; stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and cook without stirring until syrup spins in a thread. Remove from heat.

Beat 2 egg whites beaten into soft peaks. As soon as the syrup stops bubbling, pour it slowly in a thin stream into the beaten egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer while adding the syrup. Add 1 cup marshmallows cut small and continue beating until the frosting is of spreading consistency. Then fold in 1 tsp vanilla. This is enough frosting to cover this cake.
PM               
Shadows 
Posted: 17-Dec-2008, 05:10 PM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

The holidays are here and this topic is dead! Christmas or what ever you celebrate at this time of year...

What do you cook?????
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Rindy 
Posted: 22-Dec-2008, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Date Fingers

1 Cup Butter
1 Cup Sugar
1 1/2 Cup Chopped Dates
1 Egg- beaten
7oz Coconut shredded
2 Cups Rice Krispies cereal
1 Teaspon Vanilla
! 1/2 Cups Chopped nuts.

Cook butter sugar and dates on stove top for about a minute til butter is melted. Add 1 beaten egg. Cook a few minutes longer. Add 1 teaspoon

vanilla. Add Rice Krispies and nuts.
Roll in shredded coconut until about the size of your finger.

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]