Posted: 13-Nov-2004, 09:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

I had a question about something in Harry Potter. I hope no one has started a topic like this before. I didn't see any. Well, I thought we could put our heads together and answer questions, uncover the mysteries, etc.

My question: Concerning the game of Quidditch, why do they bother with the Quaffle and putting it through the hoops when whoever gets the snitch will win the game?

Insight: I think Harry Potter will take Dumbledore's job at the very end.

--------------------
Seize the time,. . .live now, make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again- Star Trek TNG

"The report of my death was an exaggeration."
-Mark Twain, After reading his own obituary, June 2, 1897

If you ever have a world, plan ahead, don't eat it! - Star Trek TNG
PMEmail Poster               
Meryat 
Posted: 14-Nov-2004, 12:05 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Somewhere near a computer

If I remember correctly, each time a goal is scored with the quaffle, the team gains 10 points. The team which catches the snitch gets 150 points, so it usually wins. However, if the other team has made a lot of goals with the quaffle, they could win. I may be slightly off on exact point values, but I think that's the general idea. It's an interesting concept -- the seeker has to make sure not to go after the snitch when it would cause their team to lose.

~Meryat
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Tessa 
Posted: 14-Nov-2004, 05:22 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Kuusamo, North-East Finland

female

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=green]I'm not sure about this, it's been a while since I last read Potters, so I might be wrong! But this is what I remember happened, and if I'm correct, then it answers your question too:D :

In book four, the Goblet of Fire there were Quiddich world cup, right? And didn't the final game (Hungary-Ireland) end when Victor Krum, Hungarian seeker, catched the snitch but still Ireland won because they had scored more points. And weasley twins bet exactly that but they were fooled because Ludo Bagman paid them with fake gold.

--------------------
~ Tessa ~

"That is a good book which is opened with expectation, and closed with delight and profit."

Amos Bronson Alcott

"The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page."

Saint Augustine

"When I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then I come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me."

William Somerset Maugham

"A real book is not one that we read, but one that reads us."

W. H. Auden
PMEmail Poster               
Wolf-Eyes 
Posted: 14-Nov-2004, 05:45 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHawthorn

female

I read it a while ago, but I'm pretty sure you are right. Meryat, I know you are right thugh. It's funny but I just decided to watch the first movie again today. Hi my name is Wren by the way. It is nice to meet all three of you, I'm new on this site and I don't think I've gotten to talk to you. beer_mug.gif

--------------------
The gaze of the wolf reaches into our soul.

How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf.
PMEmail Poster               
susieq76 
Posted: 15-Nov-2004, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I think in book 5 there is an excellent illustration of this. When Gryffindor plays Slitherin, I believe. And Harry is told that they have to score x number of goals before he catches the snitch so that they can win, because Slitherin is ahead at that time.

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
HeatherMarie 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Grand Rapids, MI

female

Insight: I think Harry Potter will take Dumbledore's job at the very end.

I don't think Harry is going to make it in the end. With every book, Harry and Voldemort become closer because of the scar, so I think in the end they will be so close that if Voldemort dies, Harry dies too. If this is the case, I'm sure Voldemort will realize it and try to convert Harry to The Dark Side. I imagine Harry will commit some sort of dramatic suicide at the end.

Also, I think there's more to Peter than meets the eye. I don't think he did what he did entirely of his own free will.

--------------------
"Please your Majesty," said the Knave, "I didn't write it, and they can't prove I did: there's no name signed at the end."

"If you didn't sign it," said the King, "that only makes the matter worse. You must have meant some mischief, or else you'd have signed your name like an honest man."

-Alice in Wonderland
PMEmail PosterUsers Website                
susieq76 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

QUOTE (HeatherMarie @ 03-Dec-2004, 03:56 PM)
I don't think Harry is going to make it in the end. With every book, Harry and Voldemort become closer because of the scar, so I think in the end they will be so close that if Voldemort dies, Harry dies too. If this is the case, I'm sure Voldemort will realize it and try to convert Harry to The Dark Side. I imagine Harry will commit some sort of dramatic suicide at the end.

Also, I think there's more to Peter than meets the eye. I don't think he did what he did entirely of his own free will.

Boy, I hope not. That sure would be depressing. Talk about a let-down....
catlynelizabeth 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Boston

female

There's this great site mugglenet.com that has both facts and rumors about the last two books. It has snippets of interviews with J.K. Rowlings, although I don't believe that she has said definately that Harry will or will not live till the end of the series although there are two more books so at least he lives into his seventh year at Hogwarts. I can't wait till Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince comes out.

--------------------
To watch us irish dance is to hear our hearts speak!
Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
Douglas Adams
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt
PMEmail Poster               
maryellen 
Posted: 03-Dec-2004, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: England
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

female

But in Star Wars, Luke and his dad become closer and closer together. In the end, the dad died (bad guy) and the Luke lived on (the good guy).
PMEmail Poster               
bigjimhainey 
Posted: 11-Dec-2004, 12:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: South Mississippi

male

Yes it was the goblet of fire that the hungarian team lost even though krum got the snitch( i got the series for my son and ended up reading and reareading all five books, anxiously waiting for the sixth tongue.gif ) and from the rumors ive heard one of the characters dies in the next one. rollings wouldnt say which one and she has said that there wont be any books after the seventh harry potter book. so she may kill harry off in the last one. speculation of course but thats what it sounds like.

--------------------
ERIN GO BRAGH

Beware the Celtic Storm

Big Jim Hainey
erickbloodax 
Posted: 19-Jan-2005, 10:04 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Arizona

male

O.K. My wild guess for the Half Blood Prince.
Victor Krum is the HBP. With the headmaster of Drumstrang on the lam for being a deatheater, Victor transfers to Hogwarts. The sorting hat puts Victor either in Slythren, where he becomes the Slythern seeker, giving Harry real competition, or he gets put into Gryfindor, where he may knock Harry out of his spot as seeker. Don't forget the Ron, Hermione, Victor angle. Last, remember Lady MacBeth, when you get too strong a person in the story, you might have to kill them off.

--------------------
If you don't come back muddy and bloody, you didn't have a good time.
PMEmail Poster               
Haldur 
Posted: 26-Jan-2005, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

I've heard rumors that the Half Blood Prince is supposedly Nevelle...a lady I worth said one of her daughters had the whole thing theorized and worked out. When you think about it, it fits, if you know much about the Harry Potter series. See, Nevelle was intended to be the 'chosen one' or whatever instead of Harry because his parents were apparently very high up in the Ministry of Magic and Voldemort had them on his hit-list or whatever...I don't know much else of the theory but it does make sense because he and Harry are like night and day (Nevelle's a clumsy fellow while Harry's pretty skilled)

How eveything will play out in the end, I don't know. I wouldn't doubt that by the last book we get hints that Harry may die...but you know how stories go, the good guy always wins!

--------------------
Haldr, Traveller of the Great Forest

"After all is said and done, a lot more will be said than done."

- Unknown

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
Haldur 
Posted: 22-Feb-2005, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Grayson, KY

male

Some more insight in Half-Blood Prince and perhaps Book Seven!

This lady I work (and her children) have done some research online about the possibilities of the story. Apparently, all of these "theories" live out their in the great big BLOG universe, but hear me out:

If you go to this link http://knight2king.net/ you will find some very indepth insights into the plot make-up of the Harry Potter series. I must say, though I have not read all of it, I'm convinced... wink.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               
Sonee 
Posted: 07-Apr-2005, 12:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Nebraska

female

Actually it was a prophecy that Voldemort was told where a boy was born a particular year and some other particulars that I can't recall at the present time, and this boy would be able to defeat him, and both Harry and Neville fit the prophecy. He just went after Harry first and wasn't able to go after Neville owing to what Harry did to him. Nevilles parents were also attacked and currently reside in the hospital ward of the Ministry of Magic, tragically out of their minds. At least his mother is, his father might actually be dead. As for the conclusion of the series I'm afraid to even venture a guess!!! There are just too many possiblities and theories that all sound plausible and good!! Besides, with my luck the one I chose would be wrong anyway!! LOL

That's just my 2 cents anyway!!!

--------------------
Sonee

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke

"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt