Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Burns' Supper
Catriona 
Posted: 02-Jan-2003, 05:31 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Well, that's Hogmanay done and dusted....  the next thing to look forward to is a Burns' Supper at the end of January.

Traditional fare is haggis, neeps n tatties, washed doon wi copious amounts of whisky.

Followed by.............   either cranachan or trifle - which is followed by coffee/drambuie/shortbread/black bun...

Slainte :D

I forgot to say.......  the haggis is piped in and the 'Address to a  Haggis' is said....   Usually preceeded by the Selkirk Blessing.

My speciality is to recite 'Tam O'Shanter' - in its entirety!

Do any of the Americans here attend Burns' Suppers?

PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 02-Jan-2003, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
255,203 Gold!

Well, there just so happens to be a burns supper that Highland Lassie and her younger brother will be performing at in January! I've never been to one, but I will have to wait as their Mom and Dad we will be spending our time at a hotel with our toddler - so maybe next year we will get to go......

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Faileas 
Posted: 03-Jan-2003, 04:40 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Never had the luck to attend one admittingly lol. Maybe I should have a look round and see what is possible ... lol Hopefully its not such a washout as Hogmanay lol . Sląinte Catriona, have one on me will ye?

::rock ::jump ::hello ::smilingcolor  ::beerchug  (m)

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 04-Jan-2003, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

There should be plenty of Burns' Suppers available on Skye, FotW...    Try to get a ticket - it's great fun.  I love the poetry of Robert Burns - but admit it's the banter that I like best at a Supper.

Slainte - an hav wan yersel   :D
PMEmail Poster               
baldpiper 
Posted: 04-Jan-2003, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Maine

male

The St. Andrews Society of Maine is having one and so is our band.  It is wonderful to get together and celebrate Scotland's greatest poet.

We do pipe in the haggis as well as address it along with all of the other traditions that are associated with the occasion.

Slainte

--------------------
MacAonghais a-rithist
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 24-Jan-2003, 05:05 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Well, it's Burns' Night on 25 January....  BUT, I'm attending a Burns' Supper tomorrow night...

My friend is giving the Address to the Haggis....    another friend is reciting the Selkirk Blessing.  First time that both honours have been given to women....   At last, Scotland recognises Equal Opportunites!  :D
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
  Posted: 27-Jan-2003, 05:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
255,203 Gold!

That is awesome Catriona! I have yet to attend a burns supper, but I am happy that they are recognizing the better half of the human species! ;)

Signed Dimplomatically! :)

:;):
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Catriona 
Posted: 27-Jan-2003, 05:43 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Hi, MacFive
I think it is still VERY, VERY rare for women to give the Blessing and the Address!  In fact, this was the first Burns' Supper I have attended where it has happened.... :rolleyes

I suppose the women don't look quite so fine as the men - after all, only the men wear kilts, the women have to make do with evening dresses!

I wore a dark green brocade gown with a 'stole' (shawl) of my family tartan....  Don't like those sash things beloved of so many clan societies!

I've posted a W T McGonagall poem in another fora here. Just to point out that we in Scotland pride ourselves not just on being the best, but arguably, the WORST of poets! ::lol

It has been awfully quiet on these boards for a while now....  No new topics.  I'm in danger of giving up trying to spark interest....  :D
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
Posted: 27-Jan-2003, 06:32 AM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

Quote (Catriona @ Jan. 27 2003,6:43)
It has been awfully quiet on these boards for a while now....  No new topics.  I'm in danger of giving up trying to spark interest....  :D

::viking Oh don't do that.  I know sometimes it is dead around here, but they'll be back.  I couldn't even get on site for a couple of days. Maggie sent me email saying she could not post.
PMEmail Poster               
Joe C 
Posted: 27-Jan-2003, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Brampton, Ontario. Canada

I just attended my first burns supper held by the Lorne Scots Regiment in Brampton Canada.  It was a wonderful night.  It was great to see almost everyone in their mess outfits and hieland regalia.  Some of the women even wore traditional scottish dress which added to the beauty of the evening.  The Lorne Scots Pipe Band were amazing, as was the haggis.  I emigrated from Scotland 14 years ago, and this evening served to remind me of the wonderful traditions we have.  So much so that I've decided that it is time that I proudly displayed my heritage.  I'll be purchasing my kilt et all when I save up my pennies. :D  (d)

--------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.  Gandalf
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 28-Jan-2003, 05:02 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Hullorerr, Joe
Whaur you fae?  :D

Ah'm Edimbra, born and bred. :)

PMEmail Poster               
Joe C 
Posted: 28-Jan-2003, 04:57 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Hullorerr Catriona,

A wis born in Clydebank and staid rer until a wis 18, then mover tae ra ancient capital o Strathclyde ...Dumbarton.  (d)

Do you still live in Edinburgh.

I once dated a girl from Edinburgh, but the long commute soon put an end to that.  Thought she was the one
though. :(  

Are you familiar with Gullane?  I went to the Fire Training School there.  If memory serves it wasn't too far away from Edinburgh.
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 28-Jan-2003, 05:26 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Haw, Joe
Ah've goat pals that ur bidin in Dumbarton!  Puir wee sowells....!!!!

Aye ahm still in Edinburgh, an whaur else wid ah hinky movin?  It's braw!

You hink Dumbarton tae Edimbra is a long commute? Bet ye've chinged yer tune since you've bided in Canada?!!! :D

Gullane?  Ah ken it fine.  Ah huv an auntie livin there...  An wan o the finest restaurants in Scotland is in Gullane, 5 Micheline Stars at wan time! :rolleyes
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 28-Jan-2003, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

I hope that some of the other posters will be interested in my last post to Joe.... I'm a member of a number of Lallans sites (the lowlander language of Scotland) - where we try to keep our language alive.  Now, some will say it is merely a dialect of English, but we beg to differ....

If anyone needs help with the translation, jist gie us a hoy, as we would say!
PMEmail Poster               
Joe C 
Posted: 28-Jan-2003, 08:29 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Noo haud oan there.  Wid ya mean puir wee sowells, jist cus yer castles bigger than oors disnae gae ye the richt ta feel sorry fur us sons o the rock. :D  

(Holy, I've got to brush up on this, I'm more canadianised than I thought.  Please point me to these Lallan sites your talking about please)

So whits the weather like o'er there.  Ah hope its pelting wae rain, cos it's sae cauld o'er here the snawmen are wearing balaclavas, and ah like tae share the misery. :cool:

Whaur in Dumbarton  are yer pals?  Bet ye any money that I hud a few Tetley 70 shillings in that restuarant.  Whit wis its name? (b)
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]