Posted: 20-Jun-2007, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

Hi everyone...

Our family lost our much loved Min-Pin last month. My daughter would like to add a Basset Hound to our family. I have been doing my research online but don't know anyone who actually has one in their family.

So, I am looking for anyone who has personal BH experience. I am reading that they are very good family dogs but one thing I read suggests they 'bay' when left alone. That would not be good in our close knit neighborhood. We do have a doggie door so she would be able to go in/out while we are at school/work.

Any thoughts, stories, personal experiences? We also have cats in the home. Not sure if they would become something to eat or what. My cats are very used to dogs so a new member of the family in dog form would not be a big deal to them.

Please feel free to email me if you have a lot of BH experiences...me and my family will appreciate it!! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
[email protected]
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Donajhi 
Posted: 20-Jun-2007, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

I would suggest you go to the "Dog Whisper" website and ask about BH.
They do like to hear themselves bay. My neighbor had one and he became
aggressive with the children, ages 8 and 12. They are very good with animals
so I know he was treated good.
My feelings are, every dog is like a child and no one can say they are all bad.
Buster was taken through a training program and is now just a lovable bundle
of love.
Good luck in your search.
Royal02.gif

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 20-Jun-2007, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #2
2,147,483,647 Gold!

Haven't had any BHs, but have had scent hounds as pets. While most hounds have really sweet personalities, they are very single minded when outside and catch a scent. They will follow it come heck or high water, paying no attention to you what so ever. They need a fenced in yard or lot in which they are free to run. Inside, they are couch potatoes. Our hounds biggest interest in the cats is the "treats" they leave behind in the litter box. Most hounds are very vocal and will "sing". This is part of their breeding to alert the pack.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 21-Jun-2007, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

Thanks for the input Donajhi and Carolina...helpful...I'm not sure this is the pet we will get to replace our little Rocky...but we are a dog family and will keep searching. My daughter has been in touch with our local BH rescue however several of the BH they have right now are older (like 4 years or more) and they have had medical problems like 2 had back problems and three or four have had Valley Fever. SO...I'm not sure about a rescue dog. But still, any input is welcome! tongue.gif
Swanny 
Posted: 22-Jun-2007, 10:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

My sled dog training partner is a Bassett fan. In addition to 30+ sled dogs in her yard right now (most of them rescues), she is involved in Bassett rescue up here.

They are a lot of fun in the dog yard. When I show up to train they all come running out expecting to receive their appropriate tribute. They can smell treats from miles away.

Last night we were doing an inventory of gear and decided it was cool enough to run a couple of thin coated dogs on the Sacco cart. Our choice of team was the Bassett clan. Molly and Rosco, both rescued Bassett hounds. Rosco and Daisy have done this before. Ol' Rosco didn't want much to do with it now, he'd rather follow his nose in his own direction. Daisy was good for a couple hundred yards and then had her fill. Little Molly, less than a year old did the full 1/2 mile course pulling the empty cart, by herself. She was SO proud of herself.

Bassett hounds are not easily trained. Like many sled dogs, they are very independent minded and have to have a darned good reason (from their perspective) to do what you ask. They are easily led astray by tempting scents. "When the nose turns on, the brain turns off." Once something grabs them by the nose their ears magically become useless vestigial appendages.

I haven't noticed them being particularly noisy, certainly no more so than the sled dogs.

They are a lot stronger than they look. An adult Bassett on lead can pull me off balance if I'm not paying close attention, and it's a behavior that Rosco especially enjoys. He watches and when he's sure I'm distracted he hits the lead just to watch me stumble. Then he gets that big doggie grin that says "Gotcha!". I think a child might have a tough time keeping an adult Bassett under control.

Oh, they do seem to be very clever escape artists, too.

So, I'd say that Bassetts are not a good choice for inexperienced trainers, but if you love independent dogs they certainly fit the bill. They are wonderful characters and I LOVE dogs with character.

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
Monarchs Own 
Posted: 22-Jun-2007, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Phenix City, AL - back in the good ole USA

female

Friends of mine had BH. They are prone to run off and chase everything they have their nose set on. Personally it wouldn't be my kind of dog.

My friends' dogs run off serveral times and been gone for days / weeks before they came back. So big fences are a wise idea as well as having them deep in the ground since they dig also plenty.

Their bark is very deep so they sound like an oversized Rottweiler while the look like a dachshund on steroids.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics 2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt