Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Scots Gaelic
Catriona 
Posted: 13-Feb-2003, 03:26 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

An official study in Scotland says that the number of Gaelic speakers in Scotland has fallen below 60,000.  This is a further decline in native speakers.

Apart from a few well-known phrases, my Gaelic is pretty non-existent, although my Dad was a native speaker and it was my paternal Grandparents' first language.

This is why I am a passionate advocate for the preservation of Lallans/Doric/Auld Scots.  I feel it is sad when ANY native language dies out.
PMEmail Poster               
Cabbagehome 
Posted: 13-Feb-2003, 08:16 AM
Quote Post

Viking Queen of the Fair Isles

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Howell, Michigan USA

I agree! It is like a part of their history goes. In a way it does, because the part, that was oral history is gone. The translation, lots of times, leaves out the feel and total meaning of the words.
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 18-Feb-2003, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

it makes me very sad indeed to see the numbers of the survey, considering the fact that this is the number of Scots learning their own language. It s such a wonderful one, and one of the oldest spoken. But what do ye expect of a people who have been told for nearly half a century that its a language of traitors, of myths and tales and one without future? In my eyes (even tho i m "just" an immigrated Scot) its not very surprising. Theres only a small number of young Gaelic learners and speakers here on Skye, tho ye find quite a few Gaelic speakers around and they are happy enough to speak it, even with a mere beginner like me. And I do believe in the potential of this lovely language. There are a lot of jobs for Gaelic speakers up here and a considerable effort is put into keeping the language alive. There are G. playgroups and youth clubs, as well as evening classes. There are services in G. and road signs as well. Loads of songs and quite a few new members at the new members night of Coisir Gaidhlig Sgire Port Righ, the Gaelic choir (who got in second place at last years MOD btw). So there is interest, even tho it might not be as big as desired and desirable. And btw theres also the Cłrsa Inntrigidh which has quite a few young learners from Scotland. Needless to say that I ll do everything for the language, to keep it alive. I am very interested in the BA course of SMO in Sleite in the South of the Island, hoping to do something for the survival of the language. Please believe in your language, believe in your country, its history and people! And most of all , believe in yerself!! Cłm Gaidhlig am beņ!

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Joe C 
Posted: 18-Feb-2003, 05:06 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Brampton, Ontario. Canada

Quote (Catriona @ Feb. 13 2003,4:26)
An official study in Scotland says that the number of Gaelic speakers in Scotland has fallen below 60,000.  This is a further decline in native speakers.

Apart from a few well-known phrases, my Gaelic is pretty non-existent, although my Dad was a native speaker and it was my paternal Grandparents' first language.

This is why I am a passionate advocate for the preservation of Lallans/Doric/Auld Scots.  I feel it is sad when ANY native language dies out.

I agree, it is sad.  Pity we couldn't get someone on line to give us some lessons. Even if we only learn a little, it'll still keep the language alive.

--------------------
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.  Gandalf
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 19-Feb-2003, 07:55 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

feasgar math a h-uile duine air rithist (fesgar ma a h-uele duenje er riisht) - good afternoon altogether again!

For Gaelic lessons have a look at following wbsites:

http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk - sabhal mor ostaig, colaisde Gaidhlug na h-Alba; Scotlands Gaelic college; they have online lessons based on the Speaking our language material

http://www.scotsgaelic.co.uk - they have various webrings and messageboards and info on gaelic songs and lessons

http://www.internetradio.co.uk - the Scottish internet radio station, they have got fairly good and amusing Gaelic lessons ; with nice songs in between

And to get ye started heres a few phrases

feasgar math (fe(german e as Esel)sge(its the schwa sound which sounds a bit yuk)r ma - good afternoon/evening
madainn mhath (ma ding va)- good morning
ciamar a tha thu/ sibh (kjamar a ha oo/ sheiv or shiv) - how are you (towards an older person or a group of people)
tha mi gu math (ha mi goo ma) - i am well
chan eil mi dona (chan jel  mi dona) - i am not bad
meadhan mhath (meeagan va) - middling
tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gaidhlig (ha mi ag joosachoo gahlic) - i am learning Gaelic
chan eil mi a tuigsinn (chan jel mi a tue(similar to german ü sound)gshinn
can(naibh) sin air rithist (kan(ev) shin air riisht)  - say that again
mas e ur/do thoil e (ma se uer/do) hol e  - please
tapadh leibh/ leat (ta pe leiv/laht) - thank you
bruidhinn(aibh) gu slaodach (bruejinn(iv) goo slooodach) - speak slowly
de tha ... ag radh ann an Gaidhlig/ Beurla (dje ha ... ag ra aun an Gahlic/ Bjeoorla) - what does ... mean in Gaelic/ English
tha mi ag iarraidh glainne uisge beatha (ha mi ag jerri glanje ueshge baeha) - i want a glass of whisky
s e an pathadh orm ( she (german e) an pahag orm) - i am thirsty
s e an t-acras orm (she an tacras orm) - i am hungry
seinn oran łr (shein oran uer) - sing a new song !!!!

Have fun learning Gaelic and hope to see ye soon in our Gaelic chatroom http://chat.msn.com/chatrom?msnwrm=Gaidhlig&pps=k We are meeting every night round 10.00 pm MET. Chi mi sibh air rithist an sin (chi mi sheev air riisht an shin - i will see ye there!)

PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 19-Feb-2003, 09:00 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Hello, FotW
I DO believe in my people and my culture!   :) BUT, Gaelic is not my 'native' language.....   as I said, my Dad was a native speaker, but I was born a lowlander....    Gaelic was never widely spoken in the  lowlands/borders area.....  That is why I am passionately attached to Lallans, rather than Gaelic...

More power to those who want to learn, though! :D
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 19-Feb-2003, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Hi Catriona, a Chatriona I should say hehe,

Gaidhlig is My big passion lol as ye might have gathered hehe.
Hope ye still have a go at it ; its well worth it. :)

and for all those who want to have a go, i think another phrase may come in handy:

tha mo cheann na brochan (ha mo cheeaun na brochan) - I am confused (my head is a porridge!) (:D)
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 19-Feb-2003, 05:40 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

FotW
As I've said, I've really got no interest in the Gaelic..... Lallans is MY passion!   :;):
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 24-Feb-2003, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

There might be some other people interested in Learning Gaidhlig (':;):)') And they re most welcome to it. The language is melodious, as anybody of ye will know and it s really not as hard as people say. Hebrew and Greek are much harder lol!
Joe, dont u wanna have a go (':D')
PMEmail Poster               
RavenWing 
Posted: 24-Feb-2003, 11:44 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I would love to learn.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 28-Feb-2003, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Tis me again just to mention on 6th March there will be a second hearing of the language bill in the Scottish Parliament. Its to give Gaelic secure status which means to put it on a similar level as Welsh and English. That of course would mean more funds and more promotion of the language. It would be great if some of ye could write to yer local MSPs and the Ministe for Gaelic, Education and Sport, Mike Watson, who refused the bill in the first hearing (!). Make it clear how important a Gaelic language bill is at this stage and help the language survive! If you dont give your support it wont! And I doubt very much that any of you really wants that. If ye need e-mail adresses of yer MSPs or of Mike Watson i ve got them. Ye ll find me e-mail adress in my profile. Thanks for yer support.
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 07-Mar-2003, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

in danger of nerving people again on this topic but i just cant keep quiet on this. I ve got to shout it out! We have made it through the first stage yeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaah  :D  :D  :D

Yesterday the revised Gaelic language bill of Mike Russel, MSP for Southern Scotland (SNP), was accepted unanimously (!) in  a second reading. Wow they made it - it didnt take them that long actually . seen the end of the debate and decision time on the web. There wasn t even a vote on it lol. Everybody agreed - including Monsieur Minister. I think in the end he had no choice lol. But - aye i am happy and relieved indeed  :D Maybe we gonna make it out of the cellar and a living language again ... Its well worth it  :D
PMEmail Poster               
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 07-Mar-2003, 10:51 AM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

That is great news, FloweroftheWest!  I'm glad that the Gaelic language will not die out.  I wish I knew how to speak it, maybe one day will find time to take lessons.  I believe some people just have a gift for different languages and I'm not one of them!  :D

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
baldpiper 
Posted: 07-Mar-2003, 01:45 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Maine

male

Great news.  I'm glad they'll retain the language.

--------------------
MacAonghais a-rithist
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 07-Mar-2003, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

So few of us are Gaelic speakers that I really wish that the same enthusiasm was given to Lallans, Doric and Auld Scots.  more of us use those 'languages' than use the Gaelic.  Gaelic has not been a general language in Scotland for nearly 400 years.

I think all the Scottish 'languages' should be supported. :)

How many Scots actually have the Gaelic?  I think I read recently that it is less than 4 per cent of the population...

And, just to prove that 'Scots' is taken seriously, here is the URL for Edinburgh University's Scottish courses...!

http://www.arts.ed.ac.uk/englang/scots.html

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]