Camac
Posted: 09-Jul-2008, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

QUOTE (Patch @ 09-Jul-2008, 07:13 PM)
QUOTE (WallaceGal @ 09-Jul-2008, 12:37 PM)
QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 05-Jul-2008, 02:29 PM)
Noooo, thanks but I'll pass on that offer.  If I'd known the house would be this peaceful once the kids were gone, I would have booted them out 5 years ago.
rolleyes.gif  I mean honestly, the stress level plummeted!  Our daughter and I had butted heads for two or three years   argue.gif  and the tension was taking its toll on me.  I'm a people-pleaser by nature and wanted my home to be happy, but about the time daughter got to be, uh, a pain in the hoo-hoo I happened to turn 49 and suddenly I was standing up for myself & refusing to be a doormat any more. 

My poor husband was astonished to see me barking back at her, and the arguments - some of them were pretty heated.  She wanted to be independant & on her own, and she was ready for it, so now she's married & happy and I've just turned 51 & am quite happy (until the next mood swing.)

biggrin.gif  Let me give you hope for the future: the Empty Nest is the best thing since sliced bread!!

You are giving me hope!!

I too had a daughter with whom I butted heads...to the point where she came home and her stuff (what little there was that SHE paid for) was on the front porch. She was not quite 17.

Now, at 19, she reminds me constantly that she's an adult and why does she have to have any rules about what time she needs to be in the house by, etc., etc., etc.

I finally told her, Fine, you want to be an adult? You can. But you accept all the responsibility that goes with it so you give me the money it costs me to run the house for a month, pay the bills, buy the groceries, buy the GAS! *shudders*...when I gave her the dollar amount, she paled, her eyes bugged and she sat there stunned.

I just told her. You want to be an adult, that's the downside of it. But you go do all the adult things you want, so long as you give me that money first.

I'm still paying the bills and she's still coming home on our house rules time...

go figure!

laugh.gif

When mine moved away, it was a shock. We shared a LOT over the years and I directed most of my energies to see that they were properly brought up (in a single parent household) and I had just retired. It took a couple of months and suddenly I had time for all the things I had put off for 20 years. As with all teens, I knew very little but now that they are in their 30's I have become much more intelligent. Maybe they are just humoring me but the grand kids now even seem to think I know a few things.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

Patch;

Isn't it amazing that when the kids grow up the finally realize how smart the old Folks were all along.

Camac. laugh.gif laugh.gif

CelticRoz 
Posted: 10-Jul-2008, 12:24 AM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Hello all! I was without internet for nearly four days only because of Microsoft's updates were not compatible with my internet provider! LOL How silly is that?! Got that worked out as a result, but I am very behind!

I am very sorry to say to those of you who have children and having a hard time. I cannot relate, as I do not have any children myself, but I feel for what all you are going through. Does that help?

I have three dogs and am dealing with their minute issues at this time, especially with a pup who needs tons of attention and has separation anxiety issues when mom is away, if only for a short period of time. I doubt if any of this warrants empathy, but stupidly thought I would share anyway because right now me and the pup are butting heads. How hilarious is that? laugh.gif

Leenie, you lived in AZ? So you know all too well how our heat can be...then when monsoon season comes...along comes the humidity...eck!

You all take care of yourselves and yours. I am here if any of you need to vent.

hugs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Howie 
Posted: 10-Jul-2008, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Bellingham, Washington

male

Desert Rose, I was in Sun City West in May for my parents 80th and 87th birthdays and their 60th anniversary. It was in the mid to upper 90s and felt fine to them, it just about killed me! It's absolutely perfect here now, for the last week it's been mostly sunny, temps in the low-mid 50s at night and 70s during the day.

I spent the 4th sitting in a recliner with my legs up, drugged to the max so I didn't see or hear much in the way of fireworks. I had knee surgery on the 3rd so I've been laying around a lot. Been watching movies, playing music, surfing the internet and the last few days doing range of motion exercises. I missed my usual 4th of July ski trip to Mt. Hood in Oregon though, now I'll have to wait until fall to ski again! I'm having serious ski withdrawal since I haven't been up since Cinco de Mayo.

I had my son drive me down south of here to buy an electric violin yesterday, my first big adventure out of the house since surgery. I got tired of my electric pick-up falling apart on stage in the middle of things. I get to use it this weekend at the Skagit Valley Highland Games. I get to be chauffeured to and from, have other band members carry my gear and sit while playing. I'm The Old Gimp now! but hopefully for no more than another 5 weeks.

PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 11-Jul-2008, 06:30 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

QUOTE (wowie @ 10-Jul-2008, 08:41 PM)
Desert Rose, I was in Sun City West in May for my parents 80th and 87th birthdays and their 60th anniversary. It was in the mid to upper 90s and felt fine to them, it just about killed me! It's absolutely perfect here now, for the last week it's been mostly sunny, temps in the low-mid 50s at night and 70s during the day.

I spent the 4th sitting in a recliner with my legs up, drugged to the max so I didn't see or hear much in the way of fireworks. I had knee surgery on the 3rd so I've been laying around a lot. Been watching movies, playing music, surfing the internet and the last few days doing range of motion exercises. I missed my usual 4th of July ski trip to Mt. Hood in Oregon though, now I'll have to wait until fall to ski again! I'm having serious ski withdrawal since I haven't been up since Cinco de Mayo.

I had my son drive me down south of here to buy an electric violin yesterday, my first big adventure out of the house since surgery. I got tired of my electric pick-up falling apart on stage in the middle of things. I get to use it this weekend at the Skagit Valley Highland Games. I get to be chauffeured to and from, have other band members carry my gear and sit while playing. I'm The Old Gimp now! but hopefully for no more than another 5 weeks.

wowie, Sorry for the old knee, hopefully the new knee will be alot better.
So since you are in this predicament I say milk it for all its worth and play fiddle to your hearts content!! beer_mug.gif note.gif thumbs_up.gif

UlsterScotNutt angel_not.gif king.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 14-Jul-2008, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Hello everybody

I hen't been on here in quite a while. I hope and pray everyone is well. I have been busy,busy, busy. I have been "moving" things into my new room at school - it is only across the hall into a bigger room, but it sure feels like it is way across the other side of the school. I am also moving to another house - very, very slowly. It is not far from where I live at the present and is even closer to where I teach and go to church. With the price of gas that is a good thing - I might get a bike or maybe a scooter - who knows.

We just got back from visiting my husband's family in North Carolina. My stepson, who my husband has always had custody and I helped raise from the time he was 10, made an announcement up there to everyone - he and his wife (my daughter-in-law) are going to have a baby. He just turned 35 and they have been married a couple of years. So, it looks like we are going to be grandparents.
Life is getting more interesting every day, but it is very good.

--------------------
"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.""
Psalm 91:1-2

"Be what you would seem to be--or, if you'd like it put more simply--Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise." from "Alice in Wonderland"
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 15-Jul-2008, 12:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Rose, you are a doll! Thank you for being so supportive of all us parental types. We may indeed need to vent sometimes.

Patch and Camac, the older our kids get the smarter we are! Indeed.

Bless your heart, Gwyn, moving is tough enough but to have two moving projects going on - that's a LOT! Hope it all goes well. And much congrats to you and your husband on the happy announcement from the stepson!!

Wowie, is your electric violin one of those wild space-age looking ones, or traditional? I saw somebody once with a white electric that looked like something Prince would play.

Man its nice to be here. This place is fun!

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 15-Jul-2008, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacIvy

female

Gwyn, hope everything will go smooth with your moving.And congratulations to you and yours on the good and happy news.

I had a phone call at work today of one of my sisters telling me that my mom had to rushed to the hospital.It seems that her tongue was all swallen and the rest of her body and her face was the color of wine.
Not a good news. Now they have her under observation and it is a severe allergic reaction to something and since she cannot talk or write they don't know to what exactly. All I know for now is that they put her under sedation and the last I heard of she was sleeping.
They'll perform some more tests especially for her heart because in case it would be her pacemaker. There is nothing we can do except to wait.

LOA

--------------------
"Few men are brave:many become so through training and discipline."
Flavius Vegetius Renatus

"I think a hero is an ordinary individual who finds strenght to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles."
Christopher Reeve
PM My Photo Album               
Howie 
Posted: 15-Jul-2008, 09:10 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Bellingham, Washington

male

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 15-Jul-2008, 11:42 AM)

Wowie, is your electric violin one of those wild space-age looking ones, or traditional?  I saw somebody once with a white electric that looked like something Prince would play.

Man its nice to be here.  This place is fun!

SB

Siobhan, it is white but it's a Zeta acoustic violin. The pickups are built into the bridge and a quarter inch jack is in the side of the lower left bout. Just plug it in and play away! I think it sounds really good, much better than my previous setup. Now I can take the old pickup off the other fiddle and use that for acoustic playing, jamming or into a mic when I play for square or contra dances. I'm pretty happy now that I have the fiddle and amp I need to make gigs much easier. Good old Craigslist!
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 15-Jul-2008, 09:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Lady of Avalon @ 15-Jul-2008, 03:53 PM)
Now they have her under observation and it is a severe allergic reaction to something and since she cannot talk or write they don't know to what exactly. All I know for now is that they put her under sedation and the last I heard of she was sleeping.

My God, that's terrifying. Well -- she is in the right place, and I know they will watch her very closely wth the heart issue added to it. Poor Lady -- how hard it is to wait until you can find out what happened. We're thinking of you and praying for a good outcome. hug.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 15-Jul-2008, 11:50 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Saying hey to all!

Gywn, great to see you back. Good luck with your move! many congrats on the new step-son

LOA, so sorry to hear about your mom. I sure hope they find out what happened and why very soon! That must be really scary for you all. Will keep you and your family in my prayers. keep us posted!

leenie 
Posted: 16-Jul-2008, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Queen of the Devil Riders
Group Icon

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Illinois

female

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #35
37,839 Gold!

Gwyn--- What wonderful news about the grandbaby---you will have sooo much fun spoiling it! TWO moves!!?? Yikes! I don't envy you having to do all that packing and unpacking... I hope both go smoothly.

Lady of Avalon--so sorry to hear about your Mom's problem..I hope that they have figured out what has caused the reaction and have been able to give her something to relieve the problem.. waiting is terrible when you are sick...

Very hot and humid here in Southern Illinois, air conditioner is running overtime. Too hot to do much outside. Hubby's tomatoes are starting to turn but he has been having to water every day to keep them from burning up..
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 16-Jul-2008, 04:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Stormeil,Desert Rose,leenie dear ladies I just want to thank you for the kind and encouraging words towards my family situation.

I have to tell you that when I saw her at the hospital last night it was a shock. She was indeed the color of wine all over her skin and her hands and fingers all swollen but what was the shock for me was to see her tongue protruding from her mouth so much it swollen.
It was like looking at someone who's being strangled. I can't shake out the pciture from my mind.
They still don't know what it is that could have provoke such a severe reaction, she'll have to go through allergic tests.
She is back home since 1:30 last night and I called her this morning andher voice was back, I went home at lunch time and I have to say that she is fine now though still have redness on her cheeks.
At least she can eat normaly and drink water. It could've been fatal if not brought to the hospital by the neighbor.
The doctor thinks that it could be an insect bite or the solar cream.
They just don't know.
The human body is quite a wonder....

Thank you again ladies for your support.
LOA
PM My Photo Album               
MDF3530 
Posted: 19-Jul-2008, 06:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (Siobhan Blues @ 05-Jul-2008, 12:29 PM)
Noooo, thanks but I'll pass on that offer. If I'd known the house would be this peaceful once the kids were gone, I would have booted them out 5 years ago.
rolleyes.gif I mean honestly, the stress level plummeted! Our daughter and I had butted heads for two or three years argue.gif and the tension was taking its toll on me. I'm a people-pleaser by nature and wanted my home to be happy, but about the time daughter got to be, uh, a pain in the hoo-hoo I happened to turn 49 and suddenly I was standing up for myself & refusing to be a doormat any more.

My poor husband was astonished to see me barking back at her, and the arguments - some of them were pretty heated. She wanted to be independant & on her own, and she was ready for it, so now she's married & happy and I've just turned 51 & am quite happy (until the next mood swing.)

biggrin.gif Let me give you hope for the future: the Empty Nest is the best thing since sliced bread!!

Hello everyone!

Been awhile since I've posted here. Hope you are all doing okay.

SB, just think that someday soon there will be the pitter patter of grandchildrens' feet around your house. Then after they've tuckered out, you get to send them home with their parents biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
Gwynhwyvar 
Posted: 21-Jul-2008, 07:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Smyrna, Georgia

female

Hello everyone - I am checking in to see how everyone is doing.

LOA - I am dreadfully sorry to hear about your mom. I saw a reference to her on the Fun and Games, but didn't realize to what extent the seriousness of her condition was. I pray that she is on the mend. Have they determined yet "exactly" what happened. If it is an allergy, I can definitely relate - I have some very strange allergies - the strangest is to scallions - not onions, leeks, garlic or plain green onions - just scallions. My eyes turn solid red (my son said I look like a vampire), my face and upper body turn red and I have difficulty breathing. I had a reaction a year ago at a Chinese restaurant. What I had eaten said it was fixed with green onions. So, I felt that it would be ok. Within about 10 minutes of eating my food I had a reaction. It was a good thing I had my medicine with me. I took a dose of it, told my son (who was 15 at the time and didn't have his learners permit with him) that he might have to drive me home. I left the money for my bill with one of my friends and excused myself. I drove myself home, and by this time the medicine was working, I laid down and slept for 3 hours. When I woke up I was feeling better. My friend called me later to ask what had happened. I told her. Well, she got on the phone to the restaurant (which was one of those more swanky type restaurants) and told the manager what had hapened. She told me that she knew him and that is why she did it. He apologized and apologized. I told him that it was ok, but I alaso told him that he needs to make sure that the ingredients on the menu are what they are. I think he realized there could have been a possible law suit if it had been worse. My friend did tell me that they "revamped" their menu. I daresay that I only eat at places that I know and eat those things that I know won't bother me. I also have allergic reactions to most food additives - that's why I eat organic when I can. WEll, I have rattled on long enough.
PMEmail Poster               
LadyOfAvalon 
Posted: 22-Jul-2008, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacIvy

female

Allo Gwyn, you're a sweetheart.
My mom is doing quite better though a little shaken by all this.And now everywhere she goes she must bring her epipen with her at all times.
Tomorrow she has to go see her family doctor because at the hospital they took away one of her high blood pressure pills and she just don't know why. All she knows is that they took it away.
So we'll know more when she's back from her appointment.

Thanks LOA
PM My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]