Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Where Are The Dancers?, I have lots of questions!
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hi there!

I am not a Highlnad dancer, but I am very intereseted in learning more about it! How does it differ from Irish dancing? Is it difficult to learn? Are there any classes in Virginia? Come on, now! Don't be shy! Tell the Wizrd all about it! smile.gif

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
greenldydragon 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

I was wondering the difference between the two dancing types myself Wizard! I would assume they were not that different, except the fact that I am probably wrong...lol. Please, if anyone knows the answer speak up!

--------------------
DRAGON BLESSING

May dragons bring you wealth
and guard your treasures
May they banish darkness and enlighten you
May female dragons grant you inner power
May the Dragon Queen
neutralize your enemies
May Dragon Spirits
give you power over Elementals
May weather dragons
bring rain at your request
May Ti'amat effect the changes you command
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
May Ishtar grant you Dragon Power
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRadio 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
221,866 Gold!

We will have a real live Highlander Dancer moderating this forum. She will actually be an intermediate Highlander Dancer very soon. It will be a few weeks before we get started!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 04-Jan-2005, 08:02 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hmmm! A mystery! I love a mystery! Is she a member already? Or is she someone new to the forum? Enquiring minds want to know! wink.gif
talleyrand 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

As I understand it, there are 3 styles of dance: Irish, Scottish Highland and Scottish Country. Country is low impact, feet never far off the floor and looks more like modern square dancing. Irish has both the set or figure dancing (right term eludes me) which is the Riverdance stuff and the ceilidh or party dancing which is square dancing with some flair (which is what I mostly do). Highland dancing is the very formal, controlled style of dancing (not to say it's not energetic because those leaps kill me).

The easy way to tell Irish from Scottish is to look at the knees---Irish the knees point in, Scottish are out. Shoes are another way to tell. I could be wrong, but I don't believe the Scottish have hard shoe dances. Hard shoes are what you see and more importantly hear in things like Riverdance. Soft shoes, ghillies, are light, flexible shoes that help accentuate the lines you make when dancing.

I'm not a competitor, just ouf for fun and good exerceise, and still fairly new to all of this even after 3 years so if there are errors in the above it's because I'm ignorant and no way reflects on my teacher (she rocks). I look forward to having a knowlegable moderator correct any of my misconceptions. wink.gif

--------------------
I don't think of myself as a lion. You might as well, though - I have a mighty roar.
Jubel Early
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

I think I know who she's gonna be!!! Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah! tongue.gif laugh.gif
Actually, I'm surprised Mac's gonna let her...being such a rowdy group that we are and all. wink.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

TOTALLY UNFAIR!

See there, Irish? The refs threw flags on that play, because they knew it was FOUL! biggrin.gif The only way to be fair about it is to spill your guts! Who is she? Come on now, I thought you wuz my bud? Are you holding out on me? Hmmm?

BTW thanks for the info, Talleyrand! Lucky dog! I'd like to take lessons someday when we have the money...
Rindy 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

Hi there talleyrand that is totally awesome that you dance. How long have you been dancing? Three years? I agree with Wizard you lucky dog!!! smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 07-Jan-2005, 09:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

I've been a Scottish Country Dancer for about a year and I am by no means an expert. But I have a few things to to add about SCD. A lot of people do compare the dance to square dancing but very few of our dances are done in a square we are grouped in sets, two lines of people facing each other. I find that you have to have a lot of energy. The tempo of the dances can be jig, reel, or strathspey. Most of us know that a jig or reel is quick tempo, but the slower strathspey takes strength and balance. Some of the steps are skip change, slip step and pas de basque. These steps are used in jigs and reels. I know there is a lot more to SCD, and for those who haven't tried it--TRY IT. You don't have to have a partner and no experience is necessary. If you go to highland games usually there is a demo of SCD. The group I'm with have done demos at the games in GA and AL and we have audience participation. Oh yeah we do wear a soft sole shoe. I've said enough about SCD. I'm so glad that we have this forum and thank you.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 08-Jan-2005, 12:13 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hi there gwenlee!

Thanks for the info! I'm not a dancer, so the technical terms went right over my head, but it sure sounds like fun!
talleyrand 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 12:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Kansas City, Missouri USA

male

I don't know if things are special here but our group is a non-profit so the lessons cost $20 for an 8 or 10 week course and that just goes to cover the room fee. Then again, there is another group in town, one that focuses on competion/performance and that is some expensive stuff, at least for the children but I'm not sure on the adult pricing.
And yes, thank you gwenlee for the info on SCD. Color me educated!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
greenldydragon 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of Dragons
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHazel

female

Wow!!! Thank you so much for the information!! I never knew the difference between the three and any info is more than what I knew before. I think I know who Mac is talking about, but will keep my idea to myself..
PMEmail Poster               
gwenlee 
Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

You're welcome talleyrand. Like I said I've only been dancing about a year, but it is so much fun. I like the fact that so many of the dances have a story or a meaning to it. When I tell people that my daughter and I SCD people are so interested, of course a lot of people think of highland dancing or Irish step dancing. Then we have to explain what type of dancing we do, then their reaction is oh that is so neat, or oh its like American square dancing. We gently correct them and say actually American square dancing is very much like SCD, then we laugh. But I guess what I like about it most of all is I'm able to do something with my 14 year old daughter. Now if I only can get my husband and son involved that would really be great.
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 11-Jan-2005, 09:00 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

I love many different types of dancing. Some of my favorites are ball room dancing, the tango, belly dancing and scd. I have had some classes before but I really want to get back into it. I will enjoy this new forum. We should have a section just for the history of the dances. It's always an interesting read.

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
highlandgirl26 
Posted: 21-Jan-2005, 07:07 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

female

Hi all,

Its been awhile since I was on the forum and posted but I just say this topic and I had to say hi. I am also a Highland dancer. I have been dancing for 16 yrs and love it. I didn't compete was always way to nervious to do it. I do take my exams every year.

Hope to talk to you all more about the hobby that i love

Jenn
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]