Maddie 
Posted: 31-Jul-2005, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

dè saoghal a th?agaibh?

tha mi duilich, bha mi ro trang agus bha a?faireachdainn gu math bochd ... ach tha mi an dochas gum bi nas fheàrr an ceartair beag. Na gabh dragh, chan eil mi tinn...

I'm sorry, I was so busy and was feeling pretty poor, but I hope I will be better very soon. Don't worry I'm not ill...
PMEmail Poster               
Sonee 
Posted: 01-Aug-2005, 11:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Nebraska

female

Halo all!!

I, like Ròs, have been neglecting my Gàidhlig studies!! My college advisor (for those of you who don't know I've decided to go back to college!) teaches a linguistics course in which the students get to chose the language they wish to study as long as it's different than any they have studied to date. I don't qualify for the class yet, however, so I'll have to wait untill the spring of 2007! But he did say that Gàidhlig was a popular choice! He is also taking a research trip to Scotland from the 3rd of August to the 17th. So perhaps there is hope for me yet!!!

I hope you are all having a great summer, what is left of it anyway! And I hope to be able to pick up my Gàidhlig studies along with everything else and be able to converse here better! We shall see!

Be well everyone!

--------------------
Sonee

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke

"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 01-Aug-2005, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Hallo a Mhaddie!
Hello Maddie!

Fàilte air ais!
Welcome back!

Tha mi duilich gun robh thu a? faireachdainn gu math bochd!
I'm sorry that you were feeling poorly!

Tha mi'n dochas gum bith thu a' faireachdainn nas fheàrr a dh'aithghearr!
I hope that you will be feeling better soon!

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Maddie 
Posted: 01-Aug-2005, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacBirch

female

tapadh leat, a bhuidsach nan comhachagan! wink.gif thank you, wizard of the owls!

Tha mi ag ionnasachadh Gaedhlig airson aon bliadhna a thìde, an tèid mi air an t-aimn agam "intermediate" a-nis?

I am learning Gaidhlig for one year, can I name myself intermediate now?

PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 03-Aug-2005, 07:34 AM
Quote Post

Guardian of Scotland :-)
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Isle of Skye

female

Feasgar math, a chairdean smile.gif. Cha robh mi ann airson greis ....

I haven't been here for a long time ....

Ach tha mi toilichte ur faicinn an seo fhathast ...

But I am happy to see that you are still here smile.gif.

Bha mi trang air aiteachean eile ... errr

I was busy in other places angel_not.gif

Bidh fios aig Maddie, hehe

Maddie knows it wink.gif.

Uill , bidh mi air ais co-dhiu ...

I will be back however...

air sgath gu bheil ...

because ...

tillidh mi smile.gif (8)

--------------------
Scottish in Heart :-))

In the darkest heart the pride of man will walk allone

's ged tha mi fada bhuat cha dhealaich sinn a chaoidh

Darkover RPG
PMEmail Poster               
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 05:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Alba

male

Nach math cluinntinn bhuat a ghraidh biggrin.gif
Good to hear from you

Dè tha dol air an Eilean a' Cheò ?
What's the news from the misty isle?

Halò Sonee, a' Mhaddie, Wizard agus a h-uile duine eile.

Ciamar a tha sibh?

Tha mi gu math ach tha mi trang an-dràsda.
I'm fine but busy at the moment. rolleyes.gif

tillidh mi smile.gif (8)

Uill, gus an till thu a-rithist...

...Beannachd leat a Fhaileas agus mar sin leibh uile. beer_mug.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
  Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 06:54 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

Chan eil dad is ur an seo, a charaid - Nothing new here, my friend.

Tha an t-uisge ann, agus a' ghaoth, na meanbh -cuileagan is na luchd -turais -

There is rain, and the wind the midges and the tourists.

Tha Port Righ trang sna laithean seo - Portree is busy these days.

Bha na geamaichean an-de - The games were yesterday.

Ach cha robh mi ann air sgath gun robh an t-side ro dhona -
But I was not there , because the weather was too bad.

Agus bha Brus beagan tinn - bha a' ghuth aige faisg air falbh agus bha fuachd air.

- And Bruce was a bit ill: his voice was almost gone and he had (still has in fact) a cold.

Ach tha e fada nas fhearr an - diugh - but he is a lot better today :-).

Oh rudeigin ur ... - chaidh an taigh aige ann am Bicester (far an robh e a' fuireach)a reic mu dheireadh thall agus bidh a h-uile rud deiseil dihaoine biggrin.gif.

Oh, something new -Bruce's house in Bicester (where he had been living until last November) and everything will be finished (i.e. completion) will be Friday.

Mar sin ...., tide airson a' coimhead air taighean .. -

therefore, tiome to look for houses smile.gif biggrin.gif cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Cù Dubh 
Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Alba

male

Uill bha an t-uisge ann fad an latha cuideachd far a bheil mi-fhèin
Well it was raining all day where i am too

Ach b' fheàrr leam a bhith air an Eilean Sgitheanach nuair a tha an t-uisge ann na a bhith air an tir mòr.
But i'd prefer to be on Skye when it's raining than to be on the mainland.

agus a' bruidhinn mu'n Eilean Sgitheanach, mothaich mi gun rinn mi mearachd anns a' phost mu dheireadh
and talking about Skye, i noticed i made a mistake in the last post.... rolleyes.gif

air Eilean a' cheò
Tha mi'n dòchas gu bheil sin ceart a-nis.

Oh aye -
Oh rudeigin ur ... - chaidh an taigh aige ann am Bicester (far an robh e a' fuireach)a reic mu dheireadh thall agus bidh a h-uile rud deiseil dihaoine

Tha mi toilichte sin a chluinntinn a ghraidh
Pleased to hear that

Tha sin deagh naidheachd gu dearbh
That's good news

co-dhiù...

Gur math a thèid leis agus...

...Feasgar math cool.gif
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 04-Aug-2005, 08:06 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hallo a chairdean!
Hello my friends!

Failte air ais!
Welcome back!

Bha mi gur ionndrainn!
I was missing you!

Tha ro theth ann an Virginia!
It is too hot in VA!

Uill, tioraidh an dràsda!
Sonee 
Posted: 08-Aug-2005, 09:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

female

It is my understanding that this thread is for beginners to learn from advanced speakers yet I, as a beginner, feel totally intimidated by what I'm reading. It has been asked that you translate everything you type yet I find my sentances without translation. I understand that many of you have been friends for awhile and say things just to each other, but isn't that what PM's are for? Or the Gàidhlig only thread? It has gotten to the point that I only read the english translations, when there are any, because the Gàidhlig is too advanced for me to read. How is that helping me learn? I'm feeling very frusterated because this is supposed to be for beginners, like me, yet you intermediate and advanced speakers have taken off and left us in the dust. We haven't heard from Ròs in a while and have had no new learners. Perhaps they are feeling as intimidated as I?

Having said all that, I in no way mean for you all to leave this thread permanently. You are all really great teachers, when you remember the rest of us are only beginners, and can't possibly keep up with you in normal conversation. I also like to count you all as my friends, and I miss my friends. I understand, as well, that people get busy and don't post often all the time, but I don't believe I am the only one feeling left out here.

I don't mean this to be as 'bitchy' as it's coming acress, but I don't like having to avoid this thread, and my friends, because I haven't learned the words you all are using yet. Please, try and use very simple phrasing and sentance structure, and if at all possible stick as close to the taic lessons as you can, for that is what most of us here are using. Thanks for letting me vent! (I hope I haven't offended anyone, and if I have I sincerely apologize!)
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 08-Aug-2005, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hi Sonee!

I am terribly sorry if you are feeling left out. That was never anyone's intentions. We love for our beginners to join in with us as often as you can. However, the point of "Conversational" Gaelic is to use what you know in everyday conversation, which is what we are trying to do. Most of us are learners just like you and want to practice what we have learned.

If you will look back through this thread, for the most part, almost every post has been accompanied by an English translation. I always try to do so, and I have only just noticed that in my last post I forgot one - tioraidh an dràsda - which is a very common phrase meaning "Cheerio for now." It is a very common way of saying good-bye.

We more advanced speakers tend to be the more talkative ones here, and when we don't hear from the beginners for a while it is easy to forget to put in the translation. That's not intended as an excuse, just an attempt to explain why it happens. We do not intentionally try to leave anyone out.

The best way to learn Gaelic is to use what you have. Even if you only have one or two words or phrases, use them at every opportuinty. Even if you mix up sentences and have a half-English half-Gaelic sentence, use it anyway! An old Gaelic proverb says "Better broken Gaelic than perfect English." So please try to use as much Gaelic as you can! That's what "Conversational" Gaelic is all about - using what you know.

We will try to do better with the Gaelic translations. I'm really sorry that we upset you. It was not intentional.

Hang in there with us! You're a friend and we don't want to lose you! smile.gif

Tioraidh an-dràsda,
Cheerio just now,

Allen
Sonee 
Posted: 10-Aug-2005, 07:02 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

female

Let me first apologize again for my behavior. I've been having some problems lately and I'm sorry for taking it out on all of you.

I know that this is a "conversational" thread, but my conversational abilities are no match for the rest of you. To be blunt I really can't "converse" at all yet. I know a limited amout of words and very few actual sentences. Gàidhlig sentence structure is not easy for me to learn and some of the sentances I read I can not understand. For example, when you say something like.....'I really enjoyed that', I don't know which word in your Gàidhlig sentence corresponds to which word in the English translation. That really isn't anyone's fault, just my inability to learn! But it does make it frustrating for me. Here's another example (not trying to single you out Cù!! Yours was just the first post I came to with an example in it!!!)

Ach b' fheàrr leam a bhith air an Eilean Sgitheanach nuair a tha an t-uisge ann na a bhith air an tir mòr.
But i'd prefer to be on Skye when it's raining than to be on the mainland.

agus a' bruidhinn mu'n Eilean Sgitheanach, mothaich mi gun rinn mi mearachd anns a' phost mu dheireadh
and talking about Skye, i noticed i made a mistake in the last post.... 

air Eilean a' cheò
Tha mi'n dòchas gu bheil sin ceart a-nis.

Short of the words 'but', 'raining', and 'and' in the first two sentences, I don't know what the Gàidhlig words are. The last sentence is in total Gàidhlig and I have no idea what it means! I know that it's nobody's fault but my own that I haven't learned it yet, but it is terribly frustrating not being able to respond to what you all are talking about because I don't know the correct way to say it. Makes me feel foolish and stupid when I don't use the right sentence structure repeatedly so I just don't say anything for fear of being wrong....again!!

I guess I also forgot that many of you are also learning and want a place to practice. You are all such good speakers that I think of you as 'fluent' speakers! So, again I must apologize for my behavior! I let my frustration get the better of me!

Don't worry Wizard, it'd take more than not understanding to make me leave you all!! I have entirely too much fun here to go anywhere! Thank you very much for understanding and achknowledging my feelings! In the future I'll try and keep up a little better and post more often! Eventually this has to sink into my thick skull!!!

A-rithist, tha mi duilich!!
Again, I am sorry!!

Tapadh leat airson do chuideachaidh Allen!!
Thanks for your help, Allen!

Cha bhi mi fàg!!
I will not quit!

What I really wanted to say was 'I won't give up!' How would I say that? (De tha Gàidhlig airson....'I won't give up!')

Mar sin let!

PMEmail Poster               
Sonee 
Posted: 10-Aug-2005, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

female

Got a question for anyone with the answer!!!

If I wanted to say: I am tired today.

Would this be correct: Tha mi glè sgith an-duigh.

The reason I ask is the whole sentence structure thing. I don't know where to put words like 'today' or 'again'. These words, as in the above example, are not necessary to the sentence. The meaning would not be lost by deleting 'an-duigh' from the above sentence so would I be better off just not using it?

Also, are things like this covered in the taic lessons? Perhaps I'm trying to jump ahead of myself here and should just wait until I come to that part of the lesson?

Mòran taing!!
Many thanks!

Sonee
PMEmail Poster               
Faileas 
Posted: 10-Aug-2005, 08:57 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

female

QUOTE (Sonee @ 10-Aug-2005, 01:02 PM)

What I really wanted to say was 'I won't give up!' How would I say that? (De tha Gàidhlig airson....'I won't give up!')

I think I would use ....

Cumaidh mi ort ri sin.

(lit. I will keep this up)

And you asked:

Would this be correct: Tha mi glè sgith an-duigh.

Yes it is absolutely correct smile.gif.(apart from the u and i the other way round wink.gif but I guess thats more typing wink.gif ). To answer your question about the sentence structure:

Generally: Verb - subject -object - place indications- time indications

so for an example:

I am going to Portree today.

Tha mi a' dol gu Port Righ an-diugh.

or

I will do it tomorrow in Aberdeen.

Ni mi e ann an Obar Dheidhinn a- maireach.

Verb - Subject - object - time indication - Place indication

so Attention: the word order in Gaidhlig is here the other way round than in English wink.gif

Is that helpful for you?

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]