Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

Group: Celtic Princess
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Wherever life takes me.

female

user posted image

Huntz is a Miniature Pinscher. He is extremely energetic. He thinks he is a big dog but just in a little body, rolleyes.gif . He sucks up to you trying to give you a hug when he's been in touble. I usually don't care to get small dogs, but you can't help but love them anyways. He's the family dog.

I did have a dog, Cody, a Huskey/Golden Retriever mix. He was a beautiful dog, but much to protective of my family and not very friendly towards strangers. He died last year. I think if I were to get another I really want a German Shepard like I had when I was young.

--------------------
Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you judge people you have no time to love them. ~Mother Teresa

Help Out

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 02-May-2005, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Swanny just wanted to say thanks for all the information and the urls. I will check them out. Do the dogs eat well you know what I mean. Meat, fat what before and after a run? Camping over would be cold.. Would have to wear my mukluks... They have been hanging on a wall for years now..

Thanks again..
Mary

Oh yes Emerald I love mini pins....cute smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 03-May-2005, 09:51 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

Most sled dogs eat better than the mushers who drive them. For example, Aily snacks her dogs after each run, on salmon steaks. Canine nutrition is quite a science and folks who race their dogs follow the scientific recommendations very carefully. It takes a LOT of fat and protien to make up the 6,000 calories racing dogs burn each day. Mike and Kim Green feed premium kibble supplemented with lots of beef suet, chicken skins and fat, salmon, &c. mushers from the bush villages feed almost exclusively on chum salmon (called dog salmon in Alaska) and rice.

Feed is one of those trade secrets that racing mushers guard closely. Some won't even let their own handlers know what they are feeding. Even guys who are sponsored by major dogfood manufacturers admit that they augment commercial feed with natural products.

Em, Huntz looks like a real cutey.

The "suck up" behavior you describe is normal submissive canine behavior. To understand dog behavior it's helpful to study wolves. Dogs are essentially wolves who's behavior has been arrested in late puppyhood. In other words, adult dogs behave much the same as do young wolves.

As far as Huntz is concerned, you are his Goddess. His whole world revolves around you. Your displeasure spells disaster in his little doggie mind.

When I have to correct one of my dogs I let them sulk for a few minutes. Then when I feel they've gotten the message I give them a command they know how to obey, and lavishly praise them for performing the behavior, thus welcoming them "back into the pack".

Swanny

--------------------
user posted image "You can't run with the big dogs if you still pee like a puppy".

Stardancer Historical Freight Dogs, Two Rivers, Alaska.

"Aut pax, aut bellum" (Clan Gunn)
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-May-2005, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: The desert of Arizona

female

QUOTE (Swanny @ 02-May-2005, 11:32 AM)
Rose, your cards are being sent directly from the publisher. I tried to send a reply Email but it bounced. Twice.

Hey Swanny! Actually I did get your message! wink.gif Thanks so much and I look so forward to getting the cards! smile.gif

--------------------
Fine art & photography by DESERT ROSE IMAGES
http://www.desertrose-images.com
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMy Photo Album               
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 03-May-2005, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

female

Thanks Swanny laugh.gif It makes sence since he doesn't leave you alone until you are either laughing or give him a hug back.
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-May-2005, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Emerald! What a cute little guy! The minature pinchers are really cute. Very interesting what Swanny had to say about his behaviour. I need to try that with my dogs. Hmmm..... But mine don't misbehave too much. The worse they do is bark at strangers and well Irish likes to dig into the trash can........even though I have covers on them...........and dig out the tissues and tear them up all over the place when I have left the house. I guess her way of saying she is not happy that I have left her. Separation anxiety, maybe? unsure.gif

Thanks, Em for sharing the pic of Huntz and you! Nice photo!
emerald-eyedwanderer 
  Posted: 03-May-2005, 04:03 PM
Quote Post

The Gypsy Artist
Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

female

Thanks Rose laugh.gif Yeah, Huntz enjoys his tissues too, lol.
DesertRose 
Posted: 03-May-2005, 04:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

Isn't that funny? I have had more than one Sheltie do that to me when I leave them. They go digging out the tissues out of the trash can and destroy them all over the house! Oh well, they could do worse..........which they don't! laugh.gif
Rindy 
Posted: 04-May-2005, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacBirch

female

Swanny, thanks for all the info on the dogs diet..ssshhh, I won't tell anyone. smile.gif My brother that lived in Alaska used to say his dogs eat better than him. He worked on a Halibut fishing boat and he used to feed them Halibut, I pay a fortune for it..here. He lives in Wyoming now and shows Belgian Sheepdogs. To this day he doesn't give them dog food, goes to the packing plant gets the scraps, trims them up and freezes them, dogs eat it raw. Insides to the best part he says. He never mushed but knows about dogs, owns a health food store and is a Dr. of Naturopathy. So he has done ok for himself. He knows how to train and how to think like the pack. It seems he is mean to the dogs but I must say they are well trainned mainly hand commands. He also does obedience trainning. I love dogs..I love reading what you have to say for recommendations you are really very smart about this..

Take care.. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Swanny 
Posted: 04-May-2005, 10:11 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Two Rivers, Alaska

male

I'm blushing. I'm not all that smart about these things, but have some experience, and also access to some really great trainers who love to share information.

S
PMEmail Poster               
DesertRose 
Posted: 05-May-2005, 07:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

female

I guess it depends on the dog, but I have a hard time with trainers being mean to a dog to train it. I know people who do that, but I have a really hard time with that form of training. Maybe it depends on the breed. I know you can't do that with Shelties. They respond much better with positive reinforcement and despite the tissue tearing, mine are very well behaved and intelligent dogs. I never have to raise my voice (except for when they get on a barking tirade) and I never ever hit them. Don't need to anyway.

My Nikki had to go in yesterday for his annual senior check up before he has his teeth cleaned. Holy cow! It cost me over $300! But got blood work results today and he has a very low thyoid, which explains why he is still so overweight despite the diet I have had him on in the last six months! He has a little blood in his urine too, so since he will be on an antibiotic before the teeth cleaning, we are hoping the antibiotic will also take care of any bladder or kidney infection too. I had to laugh though cause I had to bring a cup home to get the urine from Nikki as he would not go at the vets! rolleyes.gif So every time I would take him out with my cup and tell him to go potty, Irish had to be right there and in the way with her nose to his private parts waiting for him to pee! She was so funny! Now how did Irish know what I wanted from Nikki?! LOL Scary! I swear my dogs know English very well. laugh.gif
BluegrassLady 
Posted: 08-May-2005, 06:17 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: south central Kentucky

female

Another dog lover here. Right now we have three that are ours. One is a chow that wandered into the farm 8 years ago and made us his own. Up until a couple of years ago, my husband said that the chow wasn't ours, he just lived here on the farm. tongue.gif "Pepper" had a relationship wink.gif with our son's black lab and we now have two of their pups (they are two years old now...and weigh 85-95 lbs). Besides our three dogs, our son has 2 labs and our daughter has 1 lab and a mixed (healer and poodle..what a combination biggrin.gif ). All are here on the farm. When the dogs are outside, they are almost always together, at our house, our son's or our daughter's house.They are very good natured and love to be anywhere we are.

--------------------
With God............all things are possible
PMEmail Poster               
Puenktchen 
Posted: 08-May-2005, 01:11 PM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cologne

male

Hello,

I love my Dogs too. The first Dog that i became was an Kromfohrlšnder. One german Dog. But the second Dog, called "Puenktchen" its an scotish Shepdog. In gemany they are called Bearded Collie. An freindly Dog who makes me a lot of Fun. I smile, only if
I am thinking of her.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 07-Jun-2005, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Hello --
Waiting for the time I leave the city and can have a dog again -- that cu dubh that Calum always has with him on the moor in the gaelic textbook. smile.gif

Want him/her to come to your gaelic?

Scottish Gaelic Dog Commands
"Cý Annabarach Tapaidh"!
(An exceedingly clever dog)

Fetch! -- "Faigh sin" (FAH-ee shin); or "Faigh e" (FAH-ee eh)
Down! -- -- "Sios!" (SHEE-uss) or "Gabh sios!" (gahv SHEE-uss)
Quiet! -- -- "Bi samhach!" (bee SAH-vawch)
Attack! -- -- "Gabh air!" (GAHV air)
Heel! -- -- "Thig air mo chýl!" (HEEK air moe CHOOL)
Stay! -- -- "Fuirich!" (FOO-rich)
Lie down! -- -- "Laighe!" (LAH-ee-yeh)
Come here! -- -- "Trobhad!" (TRAW-utt)
Sit! -- -- "Suidh!" (SOO-ee); or "Suidh sios!" (SOO-ee SHEE-uss)
Go home! -- -- "'Dol dhachaigh!" (Dawl YAH-chee); or "Theirig dhachaigh!" (HEH-rik YAH-chee)
Want to go for a walk? -- -- "Coisich?" (KAW-shich)
Stop that! -- - "Sguir dheth!" (SKOOR yeh)

"Saoilidh mi gu bheil gaol aig mo chý air do chý!"
(I think my dog loves your dog!)

(I think that that last is for when you tangle yourself up in the park with someone and their dog that you'd really like to know better wink.gif )
PMEmail Poster               
OBH 
Posted: 12-Jun-2005, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacOak

Realm: Abbeville, LA

male

I'm a dog lover too, my current dog is a Boston terrier. He's a lot like the miniature pincher in that he thinks he's a big dog. This is not a breed I would recommend for a first time dog owner, they have a stubborn streak a mile wide and a knack for pushing your buttons, lol. My best friend has a Siberian Husky about a year younger than Zig and he hasn't gotten use to the idea that the puppy he use to knock around has gotten so big. I doubt he'll ever give up the notion that he's the Alpha male. He attacks him and bites him hard enough to draw blood everytime he comes over then they're the best of buddies for the rest of the visit. I keep waiting for Smoquie to bite Zig's head off but he takes being bitten almost as a greeting, something he would never stand for from any other dog. It's almost as if he still thinks of Zig as the Alpha male, very strange behavior but you can tell they really like each other. I can always tell when Johnny drives by because Smoquie starts howling and Zig starts barking back at him, a really odd couple.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt