Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
199,186 Gold!

A Medieval Castle in France

could be Notre Dame's salvation

user posted image

In a forest clearing in central France, history is being made. Or more precisely, remade.

This is the Guédelon medieval construction site, a back-to-the-future project that involves recreating a 13th century castle from scratch.

How hard can that be in an age of electricity, power tools and hydraulics? Extremely, if you decide to do it using the methods and materials in use in the Middle Ages, as workers at Guédelon have been doing for the last 20 years.

Now the traditional skills being rediscovered here are in demand for the reconstruction of Notre Dame Cathedral, ravaged by fire in April.

The inferno reduced the cathedral’s roof, partly made with oak from the 12th century, to dust. Flames also consumed the 19th century spire, which collapsed and crashed through the Gothic stone vaulting. At the heart of the blaze, firefighters estimated, the temperature rose to up to 1,500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Read more from the LA Times

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
WallaceGal 
Posted: 01-Jul-2019, 06:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Highland MI

female

What a tragedy that was, watching that burn. The history disappearing before us...so sad. I hope they can restore it, but it will never be the same.

--------------------
Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Slàinte!
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRadio 
Posted: 07-Jul-2019, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
199,186 Gold!

To think that the beams in Notre Dame were 1,200 years old is just mine boggling. They really should have taken better precautions when renovating such a treasure.

But at least Europeans honor the past and try to keep their monuments in good shape. Whereas in the U.S. they tear down works of art that are deemed no longer politically correct. If Rome was in the U.S. it probably would have been flattened for a dog park!

biggrin.gif
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
WallaceGal 
Posted: 08-Jul-2019, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Highland MI

female

They think they can obliterate history that way. Good or bad, our history is what made us what we are today. Unfortunately, too many people think that by obliterating it, things will change. One has to change from within first... *rolls eyes*
PMEmail Poster                
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]