Gordon 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 07:19 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Texas

male

When not in school or work, I wear my Munro tartan kilt all the time. If given the choice, I'd even wear it to work and school but working in a kitchen is understandably one of the worst areas to wear one. Gotta stick to the chef whites there and school.

Gordon

--------------------
Lay you down in green meadows amongst the heather for it is there the music calls to your soul and beckons you home.
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Tasmania, Australia

male

I understand Gordon, some jobs are difficult. I am a self employed signwriter so I have a great deal of freedom.

I sometime change into shorts for working up ladders (mustn't tempt the lassies too much) but 98% of the time I can be kilted.

This morning i was spray painting, but with an apron and overcoat to protect the kilt.

I have three kilts made of poly viscose, teflon coated, they are cheaper and very practical for workwear. (One was made by Bear kilts, a sponsor here).

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 08:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

QUOTE (Ceciliastar1 @ 14-Sep-2004, 11:02 AM)
haha! Busted! Oh well, you can't blaim me though. Putting a title like that on a forum...haha! Of course we are going to look! Hahaha!!! Shame on me though. *continues to chuckle*

Yes, I'm guilty of tempting my sisters with such a title, it was 'tongue in cheek' of course.
When it comes to clothing, who could blame a lass from being interested?

Actually kilts have converted me from a typical lad who couldn't give a toss about what he wore to someone who now cares about colour matching etc.

My wife thinks it's an improvement anyway smile.gif
scotelass 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacOak

female

ha! I guess I'm a nosy little lassie too!! biggrin.gif I LOVE A MAN IN A KILT! for all you lads out there afraid of the kilt, go ahead and show those sexy knees! tongue.gif Even Prince Charles can turn a few heads with that casual kilt he wears when he's in Wales! king.gif Cheerio!!!

--------------------
scotelass, clan CUNNINGHAM
PMEmail Poster               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Nice to have your encouragement scotelass, I agree about Prince Charles looking great when casually kilted.
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 10:09 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Nice to have your encouragement scotelass, I agree about Prince Charles looking great when casually kilted.
MacAibhistin 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 10:51 PM
Quote Post

Knight of the Round Table

ZodiacOak

Realm: northern Canada - somewhere between the treeline and civilisation

male

I'd wear a kilt if I could afford one. However, on my teacher's salary I have to settle for tartan ties. I wear my Austin/Keith and my MacLeod of Raasay all the time.

Rory
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 06:42 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I don't, but I could be convinced. Once I'm convinced, then there's the spending 6-24 mo to make sure I do everything right. Check my profile pic for proof I don't care what people think of my wearing un-conventional clothing. Actually I do care, but more to the extent of curiosity on that end. I certainly won't let someone stop me from wearing my cloak. I'm sure I'd get to the same way about a kilt if I ever started wearing one. A bigger cloak is first in line though. want to get a full circle for the colder months. Just got to decide on color and save up a little for it.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

Rory Kilts don't have to be expensive. I've bought casual kilts from USA Kilts for as little as $100 USD and 8 yard kilts for $220 USD.

My wife is a teacher, they seem to get paid OK here!

Aaediwen I could get into those cloaks, they look great, reckon they would go well with a kilt too.

I'm into comfortable, masculine clothing, and a kilt fits the bill nicely. I'm one of only two men who wear kilts all the time on our island of 250,000

guess that makes us special ! biggrin.gif
Aaediwen 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 07:56 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

The image I have in my head doesn't seem to work perticularly well, but something could be done that would fix that. After all, I'd say that a cloak may not have been any less common than a cloak at one point in the highlands (I honestly can't say). If so, I'm sure they had a way of wearing the two together that worked well. Of course, even with my fitted cloak, pull both panels around you and it doesn't matter what you have on under it. I've worn a heavy sweater and jeans under it, listening to a CD player. Not that one would have been able to tell any of that. Wasn't too worried about keeping it closed last October when that picture was taken smile.gif

I got mine from www.fashionsintime.com . I don't imagine most of what is sold there gets worn on a regular basis, but I only rarely am seen in a jacket or coat anymore. Generally if I'm planning on doing something where the cloak would be in the way. Not afraid to get it dirty or wet either. If it's warm enough I don't need it outside, but light rain, I'll still wrap my draft book in it to protect the leather. Great for so many things:

Coat/jacket replacement (of course)
blanket
insulator
wrap for goods
concealment (example, if you're carrying something you don't feel comfortable being seen with)
protects the entire body (except for face and feet)
conversation piece
I like to think it works for security too although that thankfully has never been tested. Close it and I could carry no telling what, even in my hand and noone would know it

I've got a few more reasons I like it too.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
celticwoodsman 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 01:06 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacWillow

Realm: NY, USA

male

If I could make a suggestion as well, sometimes at a fabric store you can get a bolt of fabric that may not be a clan tartan, but rather something more common like a black watch. Though it is usually seen across the world as a school girl skirt, it was at one time (perhaps still is) a kilt. When I had lil to no money I bought 6-7 meters (yards) of fabric which was a decent weight of wool blend for a kilt, and laid it on the ground. I then proceeded to wrap myself up in the scottish tortilla with pleats and all. It takes time to fold, but works great if you want to be comfortable and on a budget.

--------------------
You will not go hungry until I starve, you shall not go thirsty as I have drink, you shall have my bed and be warm, you shall sit on my right as we feast in the great halls of our ancestors, and for when we die, and go to the great battle of valhalla....we shall stand together and fight ....at the end we shall look upon each other strewn with the blood of OUR enemies, and then....I shall call you FRIEND
PMEmail Poster                
single speed 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: San Antonio, Tx

male

I would love to wear a kilt, however, I fear that my legs are too white (even with the amount of cycling I do). How white are they? I was snorkeling off Key West a few years back. My girlfriend said that I should be careful about snorkling with bright, shiny objects. Addind that they attract Barracuda. In response, I removed my dog tags ( I was in the Air Force). As I placed them on the beach, she smiled her wicked grin, pointed at my legs, and said, "I was talking about your legs." I was scared for life.

--------------------
If you were accused of being a Christian, would your enemies have enough evidence to convict you?
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him keep pace with the music he hears, however measured or far away.
-Henry David Thoreau

Pray as if everything depended on God, and work as if everything depended upon man.
- Cardinal Francis J. Spellman
PMEmail Poster               
Iago 
Posted: 16-Sep-2004, 12:31 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Carlsbad, California

male

I will probably make the plunge in the next couple months. Always wanted to try one on and see how comfy they were. Just couldn't imagine scratchy wool on my tush, ya know.
If I like it, I will probably start wearing one all the time.

-Iago

--------------------
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Madadh 
Posted: 16-Sep-2004, 05:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fort Worth Texas

male

Single Speed,

Don't worry about the legs, if you wear the correct socks only your knees actually show. Also, if you ride that bike much, you should have strong calf muscles. The girls love to see them biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

P.S. Most of the lasses are more interested in what is underneath the Kilt and I am not talking about yer legs. angel_not.gif

--------------------
-----------------------
Céad Mile Fáilte

May God hold you in the hallows of his hands

American First, Irish Always

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Tassiecelt 
Posted: 16-Sep-2004, 07:09 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

I have yet to see a pair of legs that don't look better in a kilt. I've heard many men say that their legs would look bad in a kilt, this is a fallacy, a kilt makes all men look good.

The best way to fix white legs is to expose them to the sun!

regarding itching...I've not found this to be a problem. It might be if, like my wife, you have a real sensitive skin with wool. If that were that case you could go for a poly viscose kilt. bear Kilts and USA kilts make them and they are very comfy to wear.

A kilt is the most comfortable garment a man can wear. After a short while you may find yourself uncomfortable in anything else. I've thrown away all my trousers, I can't stand having my legs trapped in the wretched things anymore.

Kilts offer real freedom in clothing.

You can see I'm hooked !! smile.gif
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]