Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Christian Music, Gospel, Contemporary or Celtic?
MDF3530 
  Posted: 22-May-2004, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

QUOTE (Roisin-Teagan @ May 22 2004, 12:20 PM)
I wish our church would play some of the old hyms once in a while. What was old will become new again to a new generation. Especially "How Great Thou Art!" My belief is don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Just because times are changing we shouldn't throw away the old classic standards---but keep them right along with the new.

JMTW (Just my threepence worth),
Roisin angel_not.gif

"How Great Thou Art" is one of my favorites, and I'm fairly young. I'm told that it was one of my grandpa's favorites also, and that the choir at his funeral did a beautiful rendition of it. If you want to hear a good version, download The Mormon Tabernacle Choir's rendition.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 22-May-2004, 07:55 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

Thanks Mike, I'll go check that out. smile.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 08:55 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

There is a new 'praise band' that has formed at our church and for a few weeks now they've been performing one or two songs in the Sunday morning services. There has been such an outpouring of negative reaction from our older congregation members its going to end soon... I know the loudness of the misic bothers some of the people and my own parents don't like the style of songs (dad still believes unless its gospel music or a traditional hymn, its not praising God) but for the sake of young people in the congregation I wish they'd be more tolerant.

I am happy listening to all kinds of music and totally believe that anything from the Gaithers to Skillet to POD is acceptable in God's eyes!

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
Elspeth 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Our church has two services and a few years back one went from a blended service to a Praise service, loud music and all. It was a very rocky period, but the storm has been weathered. I wish your church could turn down the amps a bit and give it a chance. Unfortunately, the hardest thing for most churches is change. And what is funny, iafter it gets established, the congregation isn't divided old vs young, but by those who perfer one type of more casual service vs. the more traditional. Picnic feel vs. dining out. Many older people come regularily to our New Creation Service and many younger people prefer to attend the traditional.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well, when you figure that the most of the congregation of any church is mostly older, it is very hard for them to accept "our" music and it just plain hurts their ears. However, I love the contemporary sound too. My church has been slowly be surely getting it that way and it has been real blessing and made all the difference in worship...............to me!
Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

I think to get around the older/traditional folks having strokes over the decimal of the amps and the hip styles of the New Praise music is to hold two different services. Maybe a more traditional Sunday morining service and Contemporay/Rock'n Praise worship service on Sunday nights. Those who perfere one over the other will naturally drift toward the desinated worship time.

My church worships only to the lastest praise music (the early 90's to the present). I love the sound of the lead electric guitar and the drums. Our church's vision is to be cutting edge both in appoach and sound. I love it there!!!!! But as I posted earlier it would be nice to hear some of my old favorites.

Cheers,
Roisin angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 26-May-2004, 05:29 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I think you are very right about that Roisin. That is what our church did in Atlanta. Had two services, one traditional and one contemporary and that took care of the problem!
reddrake79 
Posted: 03-Jun-2004, 01:22 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacRowan

Realm: oregon

male

I've been into christian music since highschool. A friend of mine tunre dme onto the Electrics, a celtic Christian band. Has anybody else heard of them?

--------------------
Friendship, Love, and Loyalty
PMEmail Poster               
reddrake79 
Posted: 03-Jun-2004, 01:41 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacRowan

male

I know one of the churches out here has a special praise night set aside every now an then, once a month I think, specifically for the younger people. My church has about an even mix of older people and younger. Our paster, who also leads music, mixes it up between hymns and newer choruses and gospel songs. Everyone seems to like worship and appreciates it. I've visited churches where all the sing is choruses and I found that I missed the hymns. I also visited churches that only sang hymns and I missed the energy of the newer songs.
PMEmail Poster               
reddrake79 
Posted: 03-Jun-2004, 03:56 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacRowan

male

I forgot to mention that my favorite bands are:
3rd Day
Jeff Moore and the distance
DC Talk
Newsboys
Mercy Me
Big Tent Revival (2 sets of Joneses is a great song)
and others I cant think of right now smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 03-Jun-2004, 05:45 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

QUOTE (reddrake79 @ 03-Jun-2004, 02:22 PM)
I've been into christian music since highschool. A friend of mine tunre dme onto the Electrics, a celtic Christian band. Has anybody else heard of them?

Hi Reddrake! I have heard of The Electrics. I am embarrassed to say that I have none of their music as I love Celtic music. I hear they are really good though. Do you have any of their music? Which CD would you recommend?
reddrake79 
Posted: 04-Jun-2004, 08:39 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacRowan

male

celticrose,

As far as I know they have 3 cd's out. "Livin' it up when I die" is the newest one that I have. It is great. The other one is self titled. It is also good. As well as doing new songs they also perform some traditional ones such as "raggle taggle gypsy" "Irish Rover" and some jig sets. One of my favorites is a bonus track on the first cd, I think it is called "Well Dunn" or something close to that. They also have a live album, but I have not listened to that one. They have a new album out called "Reel, Folk N' Rock N' Roll" I havn't heard anuthing on it yet though. Their website is www.theelectrics.com So far though I highly recommend both their self titled and "Livin it up when I die"
PMEmail Poster               
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 04-Jun-2004, 12:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

rolleyes.gif
I tried to own some of their music and ordered what I thought was their cd on Amazon or something awhile back... but what I received was by 'The New Electrics' and it was AWful!

Oh well, must try again...

SB
PM               
Raven 
Posted: 04-Jun-2004, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

Does anyone know who Steve Agrisano is?

My band is opening for him and Ceili Rain on July 10th and I hear he is a major deal.

Just curious. unsure.gif

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
gtrplr 
Posted: 04-Jun-2004, 01:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Nashville, TN

male

Does anyone know who Steve Agrisano is?

My band is opening for him and Ceili Rain on July 10th and I hear he is a major deal.

Don't know who SA is, but you're gonna LOVE Ceili Rain.

--------------------
Randal Smith alias Smitty the Kid
Wielder of the Six-String Claymore!

"We have enough Youth, how about a Fountain of Smart?"
"When the going gets tough, the smart go fishing!"

PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]