Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Politics Forum, Help us decide the fate of this forum

Should we password protect the politics forum?
Yes. [ 9 ]  [30.00%]
No. [ 21 ]  [70.00%]
Total Votes: 30
Guests cannot vote 
CelticRadio 
Posted on 01-Jul-2005, 07:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,451 Gold!

Lately we have been having alot of spirited debate in the politics forum. Some of this has gotten just down right nasty, but I do not hold that against anyone because politics by nature seems to be a very emotional topic to discuss.

We use to password protect this forum and hide it from the general message previews unless the user decides to over ride that.

The question is - should we go back to that format?

Thanks for your help and input!

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
dundee 
Posted on 01-Jul-2005, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

male

macfive this is not a flame i appreciate your hard work just dont agree on some issues

whats the point? you do not password the pub anymore... if you are going to password anything make sure it is a password that works if you are trying to keep the under 18 crowd out. when i first came to this forum i had to verify my age to get a password to the pub.... then all of a sudden it seemed to be eliminated... so anyone can get in. macfive.... in all humbleness may i say if you do not care to cut songs form the playlist that use the "F" word in them (ie. Amadan - Morrison's Jig/ Cadence to a Drunken Sailor) when anyone of any age can hear them. why bother passwording anything? that is why i voted against the password.... if however there was consistancy across the site. then yes as martha stewart would say a password "it's a good thing."

sláinte note.gif beer_mug.gif

--------------------
jim

www.greyaengus.com

"If I say something that can be interpreted in two ways, and one of the ways makes you sad or angry, I meant it the other way."

often in error, never in doubt.

if guns kill people then my pencil mis-spells words
quote: larry the cable guy

sometimes what ya think ya want
isnt what ya thought ya wanted
till ya get what ya thought ya wanted
and then what ya had is gone....
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WhiteSoxFan
  Posted on 01-Jul-2005, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

To tell the truth, I would have no problem whatsoever if you did away with the Politics forum. Many of the threads in there tend to devolve into partisan bickering.

MacEoghainn 
Posted on 01-Jul-2005, 04:43 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rěgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

I don't see a need for a password based on age, but I think the idea of the password is the right way to go so members who aren't political don't wander in and are shocked to find "Politics" being debated (sometimes forcibly {oops, meant to say forcefully, must have been a "Freudian slip"}). It's fairly obvious that the "simulated" sign on the door (Macfive's "Enter at your own risk" post) is not enough of a deterrent. I think this would help Macfive out in that he might get fewer complaints than I suspect he has been getting of late. Of course my suggestion to Macfive as to what to say if he gets complaints from people who are either denizens of that forum, or have voluntarily entered is: If you don't like what's being said then don't go in there, and don't complain to me unless it's to report a riot or murder.

This post has been edited by MacEoghainn on 03-Jul-2005, 05:12 AM

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
Aaediwen 
Posted on 04-Jul-2005, 06:45 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

I've been ignoring this poll partially because, I don't frequent that perticular forum, politics is not a huge interist of mine, so I simply ignore a lot of the entries. I was reading through the replies here and got to figuring that, yeah, a password might not be the right answer for what forums like this need. I'm thinking the best answer is have it not show up by default, except for one link in the forum listings. Have the option for people to have it show up everywhere else (which I think already exists), and perhaps, for those who have that disabled, have one more page that loads with a message so people can be sure what they're getting into. Then, if someone can even see the posts than they have either explicitly turned on the options to see them, and should be responsible for their own risk of offense. Or they have confirmed twice that they want in there, and been made fully aware of the risks, in which case they are again responsible for their own risks. Then, if people complain. . . It's their fault.

Don't put a password on it, but make it a global option with a step of confirmation involved, saying in nice, big, bold letters. "ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK! IF YOU GO IN HERE AND DON'T LIKE WHAT YOU SEE, THAT'S NOT OUR PROBLEM. IF YOU FIND OFFENSE TO THE CONTENT OF THIS FORUM, THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER FORUMS ON THIS SITE FOR YOU TO ENJOY, AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO SEE ANYTHING ABOUT THIS IF YOU FIND OFFENSE BY IT. BE YE WARNED!"

Or something tothat effect, probably in about 4-6x the font I used here. Maybe even on a red background or something dramatic, to get people's attention. Kindof like how Apex redid their homepage saying "THIS IS A SCAM, WE DID NOT SEND THAT MAIL AND HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!" about the bogus E-mails that were sent out promising a free DVD player (for those who remember that, I saw it when I went to flame them. it was definately attention getting.)

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
CelticRadio 
Posted on 06-Jul-2005, 04:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
198,451 Gold!

Let the people speak and we will follow! Looks like the 'Nos' to a password are winning.

I like Aaediwen's post and I think this is a good idea. Sort of a disclaimer when you enter the politics forum for the first time and then with an opt in or opt out that would be tied to the preview post option.

Actually, other than 1 or 2 posts I have actually enjoyed reading the politics forum lately. You were all being so sincere, thoughtful and political - wow!!! I am impressed. I thought I was watch fox news for a bit! biggrin.gif

The only issue that I would like to remind people is to not personally attack someone. Otherwise looks good!

I think having this forum left unmoderatered is the best way to foster discussion. I hope I have not prevented people from posting to this forum, it really is a great place to get your opinion out.
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
stevenpd 
Posted on 06-Jul-2005, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Fountain Valley, Calif.

male

I agree with Aaediwen. A simple splash page with the warning and a gentle reminder of civility would be most appropriate. Although I'm not sure that once would be enough. Each time you enter the forum would be acceptable if the page were simple. Sort of an acknowledgement and acceptance of terms every time you enter.

--------------------

user posted image

Vote in the 2018 Music Awards

Dear Lord, lest I continue in my complacent ways, help me to remember that someone died for me today. And if there be war, help me to remember to ask and to answer "am I worth dying for?" - Eleanor Roosevelt

The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
-- Herbert Spencer, English Philosopher (1820-1903)
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
stoirmeil 
Posted on 06-Jul-2005, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

On another board I'm an admin on, we have a "Fight Club." Anything goes, except personal attacks on each other that the parties involved understand not to be funny (although it gets kind of raunchy and/or hostile in there sometimes, or would be seen that way to the outside observer). It is prominently labeled at every level of entry. We kicked it around about having it passworded for age, since we have a few teens who are among the best members we've got -- but ended up not doing that. Politics is pretty much exclusively discussed under Fight Club.

Things that start out in one place but go "bad" are moved to Fight Club, no debate, no questions asked. We had a deep ideological issue with being over-moderated and frankly censored at one point, so our site has become more liberal than most, as a reaction. But we recognize the need for protecting the unwary from unpleasantness they didn't sign up for -- as a courtesy, and because we like 'em.
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]