Shamalama 
Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Conyers, GA

male

After years of being too scared I finally bought a kilt - and wore it in public.

[editor's note: I -did- have my Marine son with me in case someone wanted to start something in my redneck Georgia town]

First let me say that I settled on a Stillwater Kilt, standard weight, in Stewart black. In order to keep their costs low Stillwater only offers a few selections. But after an online order I had the kilt in my hands in three business days.

I ran to the bedroom and put it on with dress shoes and a tux shirt and jacket. When I presented myself to my bride she was pleasantly surprised that the ensemble looked nice. I think she feared that with me being such a long way from hunky Sean Connery that I'd simply look like a old fool.

The second step was to trade in my tux jacket for a CelticRadio t-shirt that I had won this past spring (and was waiting for this event to showcase). I then grabbed my son and headed to town.

The first stop was Kroger, a grocery store. And as you know it the items we needed were on the opposite side of the store from the entrance. But I sucked it up and walked like I had nothing to worry about. And, surprisingly, it was both fun and casual. Oh, to be sure, I got my share of stares, but I didn't hear any giggles or off-color comments.

Our next stop waws Best Buy, an electronics store. My son was looking for new computer speakers (in the absolute back of the store), so in we went. Everything was find until I noticed some guy, around 20-years-old, was standing a bit too close and staring at me. I turned to him and he asked me "Where are you from"?

I replied, "From here".

He returned with, "Uh, but what's your ancestry?"

I started thinking about me standing here wearing a kilt, and this guy was wondering what my ancestry was. Should I reply "German", or "African", or "Eskimo"? But I said, "Scottish".

He rambled on for a short time about a local Oktoberfest which I guess we thought was started by the Scots.

We returned home and I remained in my kilt the rest of the evening. The only other interesting event was when the pizza guy arrived. As I was trading him my money for his pizza he asked me if I had just returned from some kind of event. I told him no, that I just liked wearing a kilt. I'm not sure how he took it.

All in all I have to admit that I DID like wearing my new kilt. I'm NOWHERE at the point where I will start wearing one everyday to work or to church, but today was fun and won't be the last time I wear one in public.

user posted image

--------------------

Clan Mac Cullaich:
- Brewed in Scotland
- Bottled in Ulster
- Uncorked in America

Common Folk Using Common Sense
PMEmail Poster               
Nancy-Raven 
  Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Quebec

female

thumbs_up.gif Congratulation ,you were scared to wear your kilt in public and finally it seem you had a wonderfull day.Wearing clothing that people don't see very often always provoque different reaction and sometimes it'd just fun to see it.I encourage you to wear it , real men are not afraid to wear kilt .
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 09:47 AM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Congratulations Shamalama! I know how much courage that took, and you should be proud of yourself! Your picture is wonderful, and I'm glad you posted it as well -I was hoping you would.

My hubby and I have had similar experiences with his cloak. I gave him one a few years ago for Christmas - he'd been asking for one for years and I finally bit the bullet. I found a wonderful company in Ireland that makes them to order. He loved it, looked very romantic in it. He did the same thing you've done. Started by wearing it to the grocery store and on evening walks around town. I often went with him, and was (uncomfortably at first, I admit) noticing the strange looks he was getting as we passed people. I think it was surprising at first for most people, but very soon he was actually stopped and given compliments, asked where he got his cloak, and wives were seriously considering getting one for their hubbies! He has since given me a cloak for Christmas, which I love!, and I've also gotten lots of compliments on it whenever I wear it in public. They're very romantic.

Enjoy your kilt, and don't worry about what others will think! People are more supportive than we would expect.

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
LilysApple 
  Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacIvy

female

Hi Shamalama,

You look fabulous! lol I've always enjoyed seeing a man in a kilt. Now all you need is a nice pair of leather boots. You'll have to beat the ladies off with a stick. wink.gif

Lily O

--------------------
"You can explore the universe looking for somebody who is more deserving of your love and affection than you are, and you will not find that person anywhere.
~Buddist expression~
user posted image

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters never point the wrong way.
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Avonlea22 
Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

Nice job, Shamalama! You look great! I'm glad to hear your first outing was very positive. I've been wearing my kilt out since mid-March (about 25% of the time), and have received NO negative comments. Most of the time, it's "are you Irish?" I don't know why everyone seems to think the kilt is Irish, but I just politely say yes, and Scottish. I've also been asked a couple of times if I play the bagpipes. Someday I'll be able to answer yes. smile.gif

btw, you may want to check out www.xmarksthescot.com. It's a kilt forum and has a bunch of great members.

Edited to add that I see you've already posted over there!

This post has been edited by Avonlea22 on 09-Jul-2005, 02:35 PM

--------------------
le gach dea-mhéin
~Brian
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
MDF3530 
  Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

Funny, by the title of this thread, I thought you were going to say you'd changed your political stance rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif .

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Avonlea22 
Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Elizabethtown, PA

male

QUOTE (MDF3530 @ 09-Jul-2005, 04:32 PM)
Funny, by the title of this thread, I thought you were going to say you'd changed your political stance rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif .

I honestly thought it was something political myself! lol
birddog20002001 
Posted: 09-Jul-2005, 11:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Isle of Man
ZodiacRowan

Realm: North Carolina

male

Funny, by the title of this thread, I thought you were going to say you'd changed your political stance

We could only have prayed it so.

Remember Shamalama don't lock those knees back for a long time or you will pass out.

--------------------
"when a person is prepared to die for a cause, and indeed to glory in such a death, it impossible to supress him or the cause it represents." Jawaharlal Nehru

"Only the suppressed word is dangerous." Ludwig Borne

"All of our freedoms are a single bundle, all must be secure if any is to be preserved." Dwight David Eisenhower

"All men's souls are immortal, but the souls of the righteous are both immortal and divine." Socrates
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 10-Jul-2005, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

YAAAAY smile.gif Someone else not afraid to break with the norms. I remember when I got my cloak, I'd already decided it was a replacement for the denim jacket I'd warn for years. So when I got it I began wearing it as such. I get several looks, some jabs (Mostly being called Batman or Dracula), and I often have people ask me where I got it, or make other positive comments. I used to feel bad getting jabs or whatever about my legs, butthis is different. Both are part of who I am, But the cloak is by choice!

Wear the kilt with pride, my friend!

Ohh, and don't believe anyone who tries to tell you you look like a fool in it.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]