Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Siúcra; Matt & Shannon Heaton, Featured Artist!
CelticRadio 
Posted: 03-Jun-2003, 09:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,806 Gold!

Siúcra is pronounced 'shoo-kruh', and it means 'sugar' in Irish.

Siúcra is Beth Leachman (lead vocals, bodhran), Shannon Heaton (Irish flute, whistles, vocals), and Matthew Heaton (guitar, vocals).

Formed in 1998, they play a sweet mix of Irish traditional songs and tunes. Danny Carnahan from Acoustic Guitar wrote, "Siucra is full of hot musicianship, confidence, and unstoppable energy. A five-piece band would be hard-pressed to match the amount of music these three musicians produce.."

Siúcra ('sugar' in Irish Gaelic) formed in Colorado, with initial tours taking them through the midwestern and western United States. When Matthew and Shannon moved to Boston in 2001, the trio expanded their touring scope to the East Coast. And in May 2002, the group launched its second cd "Here Among Strangers," a kickin' follow up to their first release, "a place i know." Sing-Out magazine called this "solid album sweet and satisfying... disarmingly infectious!"

Both Shannon and Matthew have music roots in Chicago. Shannon learned to play Irish flute at sessions on the North Side of the city, with yearly trips to Clare, Galway and Boston. Matthew was exposed to a wide range of musical styles early on - his father is noted organist/composer Charles Heaton. From garage band beginnings, through university degrees in classical guitar he has developed a powerfully rhythmic and resonant style of guitar playing. Shannon & Matthew also perform as a duo, with George Keith (fiddle), and with traditional singer Aoife Clancy.

Beth grew up in western Colorado. She learned about sean nos singing and about the Irish language in the West of Ireland. Her clear and tonally inventive bodhran playing have developed over years of sessions and pub gigs; and she has more recently added the harp to her line of talents, which she performs with harpist Margot Krimmel in WesterSnow.

With a very Siúcra spin on old and new traditional tunes -- gorgeous melodies, great backing, strong arrangements and exhuberant performances -- Siúcra's future looks sweet indeed.

Highlander Radio Comments: We love the heart and soul that Siúcra puts into their jigs and reels! A top notch Boston Irish traditional group! Visit their site for photgraphs, sound clips, tour schedule and more!

Siúcra Website.

--------------------
Celtic Radio DJ
http://www.CelticRadio.net
Celtic Radio Music Network
PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
ChuckDenton 
Posted: 04-Apr-2004, 12:34 AM
Quote Post

Clan Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Lee's Summit, Missouri USA

male

I've caught them in Irish fests in Kansas City and can't wait to see when they will come here next. Another great couple of groups found here: The Elders...Utterly fantastic. Also Shenanigans. I love them.

If you like drums...try (to find) Clann An Drumma. They are awesome. A combination of bagpipes and loud deep drumming. Really moves me!

And also a lighter but very effective version is Runrig.

But my absolute favorites for all time are The Corrs.

My contributions - my favorites.

--------------------
[FONT=Geneva][SIZE=7][COLOR=gray]
Slainte'
[color=green]Slainte'/color]
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRadio 
Posted: 17-Apr-2006, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Administrator
ZodiacOak

Realm: Toronto, CAN

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #74
224,806 Gold!

We recently received Matt & Shannon Heaton's latest CD called "Blue Skies Above" which is simply awesome!

A feature is runnin on our mainpage for this CD and we are adding them to our featured artist section. The first artist to be added in over a year!

I'd also like to mention their myspace location, which seems to be a popular thing for musicians nowadays!

http://www.myspace.com/mattandshannonheaton

PMEmail PosterUsers Website My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.View my Linked-In Profile.View my Google plus Profile.View my Twitter Profile.View My Space Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
celticfire 
Posted: 17-Apr-2006, 06:13 PM
Quote Post

Idle Dreamer
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

female

I saw them perform one time a few years ago--their music is great!

--------------------
My heart's in the highlands
My heart is not here
My heart's in the highlands
A-chasing the deer
--Robert Burns

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

Gluais faicilleach le cupan làn.
Go carefully with a full cup.
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]