Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Surnames, Does it really reveal your heritage?
MacEoghainn 
  Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 04:31 PM
Quote Post

Fear-leanmhainn an Rìgh
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Cape Coral, Florida, USA, Planet Earth

male

Please pardon my bad german: nerd.gif

Was geht hier weiter? Habe ich gedacht, daß wir schottische namen diskutierten? offtopic.gif oops.gif (just kidding!)

Which is to say: What is going on here? I thought we were discussing Scottish names? rolleyes.gif

Seriously, my maternal grandmother was half Pennsylvania Dutch with the last name of Pixler (which I discovered is actually the total butchering of the German name Bichsel). Her Bichsel immigrant ancestor came from Switzerland but she also had German/French ancestors from the Otterberg area in Germany (which I believe was known as the principality of Palentine before the unified Germany existed)

MacEoghainn

--------------------
MacE
AKA
Steve Ewing

I know that my Redeemer lives, and that in the end he will stand upon the earth. Job 19:25

"Non sibi sed patriae!"

Reviresco (I grow strong again)
Clan MacEwen motto

Audaciter (Audacity)
My Ewing Family Motto
(descendants of Baron William Ewing of Glasgow, born about 1630)

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." from "Epitoma Rei Militaris," by Vegetius

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View my Facebook Profile.
CelticRoz 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 10:39 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Well these are names in my family search that I am told are of Scottish origin, Steve! wink.gif

Walker, Taylor, McArthur, Suit, Blackstock, Allison.

I worked hard on the Allison one cause in some places on the internet she was coming across as Ellerson. Well I came across some cemetary records that a cousin had sent me and it is confirmed Allison.

PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Elspeth 
Posted: 18-Feb-2004, 10:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ Feb 18 2004, 05:31 PM)
Seriously, my maternal grandmother was half Pennsylvania Dutch with the last name of Pixler (which I discovered is actually the total butchering of the German name Bichsel). Her Bichsel immigrant ancestor came from Switzerland but she also had German/French ancestors from the Otterberg area in Germany (which I believe was known as the principality of Palentine before the unified Germany existed)

MacEoghainn

And Pennsylvania Dutch is a mutiliation of Deutch. So people think PA dutch means they are from Holland, when in actuality they are actually of German descent.

Isn't Palentine the area I was asking about where Scwartzenau(sp?) is?

Hey MacEoghainn, if you are PA Dutch, if we go back far enough we could be related. smile.gif And if you are from the clan McLaughlin were they from PA too? I keep trying to find a fit for my Amanda McGlaughlin.

Thanks gaberlunzie and Aon for the info. I like the idea of the Berkey name coming from a village. Makes as much sense as any. Found Hamel on my map, no Berkel though. Must be too small.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 02:20 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

[QUOTE=Elspeth,Feb 18 2004, 11:51 PM][QUOTE=MacEoghainn,Feb 18 2004, 05:31 PM] Seriously, my maternal grandmother was half Pennsylvania Dutch with the last name of Pixler (which I discovered is actually the total butchering of the German name Bichsel). Her Bichsel immigrant ancestor came from Switzerland but she also had German/French ancestors from the Otterberg area in Germany (which I believe was known as the principality of Palentine before the unified Germany existed)

MacEoghainn [/QUOTE]
And Pennsylvania Dutch is a mutiliation of Deutch. So people think PA dutch means they are from Holland, when in actuality they are actually of German descent.

This is exactly right, Elspeth. What finally ended as "Dutch" in American comes from a dialect pronounciation of the word "Deutsch" and has nothing to do with Holland!

Isn't Palentine the area I was asking about where Scwartzenau(sp?) is?

No, Schwarzenau isn't situated in Palentine ("Pfalz"). Otterberg, yes, it is in the area of Kaiserslautern and this is Palentine.

Hey MacEoghainn, if you are PA Dutch, if we go back far enough we could be related. smile.gif And if you are from the clan McLaughlin were they from PA too? I keep trying to find a fit for my Amanda McGlaughlin.

Thanks gaberlunzie and Aon for the info. I like the idea of the Berkey name coming from a village. Makes as much sense as any. Found Hamel on my map, no Berkel though. Must be too small.

Elspeth, I will try to get you more information about Schwarzenau and/or adresses you can contact to find out more...it would be useful to have some names then: I'll see...just need some days...let me know if you want me to do a bit research for you. [/QUOTE]
smile.gif

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 02:25 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (MacEoghainn @ Feb 18 2004, 05:31 PM)
Please pardon my bad german: nerd.gif

Was geht hier weiter? Habe ich gedacht, daß wir schottische namen diskutierten? offtopic.gif oops.gif (just kidding!)

Which is to say: What is going on here? I thought we were discussing Scottish names? rolleyes.gif

MacEoghainn

Hey, I love your German... smile.gif aah, it's balsam for my soul to read some German words on an American site wink.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 02:34 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Gabby, You are such a sweet, wonderful person. I love reading your posts! smile.gif
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 02:43 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

Hi, Rose; aaah, this is my favourite nightowl again tongue.gif wink.gif ;

hey, now, don't make me BLUSH...but thank you anyway smile.gif ! It's just because I'm enjoying my "family" here so much, I think!
CelticRoz 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 03:04 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Gabby! Yes! It is your favorite night owl again! I go in spurts. rolleyes.gif

So happy to see you are enjoying it here so much! I always appreciate what you have to say. thumbs_up.gif
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 03:19 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

And I do always appreciate your posts as well, Rose! And the variety of opinions, experiences and gifts of all the people here.

Oh yes, I know that - especially at the weekends - to go in spurts all of a sudden in the middle of the night! Unfortunately I have to get up early (5.45 am) in the morning during the week and I have to try to get some hours of sleep then. I do love the night, the silence, the peaceful atmosphere, the feeling that this is really MY time now. No phone, noone disturbing and all is wrapped in dark velvet...*sigh*
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 07:04 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (gaberlunzie @ Feb 19 2004, 03:20 AM)
Elspeth, I will try to get you more information about Schwarzenau and/or adresses you can contact to find out more...it would be useful to have some names then: I'll see...just need some days...let me know if you want me to do a bit research for you. [/QUOTE]
smile.gif

Thanks so much!

As to names, the thing is, those ancestors left Germany by 1737. Being part of an elite religious sect, they are relatively easy to trace because there was no intermarrying outside of the sect. A memeber of the Church of the Brethren(COB) marrying a Mennonite was scandalous enough to rock the church. Even though both churchs came directly from the same Anabaptist movement.
The names I have are Speicher and Rairigh mostly. There is also Brillhard which got changed to Brillhart. They came from Holland, but many of the COB people in the 1500 (or was it 1600? I forgot) moved to Holland to escape the religious persecution they faced in what is now Germany. So, I am assuming this branch originated in Germany, but they could have been a convert from Holland. There are also Wamplers, Deardorfs, Kaufmans and Braughlers intermarried in there.

Since I have such amazing resources here I should ask about the other branches of the family. These ones I have no idea where they came from.

There is Moss (which probably started out as Maus) and Mumau. We know from census records that the Moss family came from Germany in the early to mid 1800's. Mumau was rumoured to be German and that is all I know.
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

And back to Scotland.... if anyone can tell me anything about these names. I think they could be Scottish, but we don't know anything about them.

Dodds
Dodson

And I know the Ferriers and Clawsons came from Scotland but I have no idea where. There is speculation for both, but no facts. These names don't appear under any clan names that I have been able to find. A ferrier is a person who shoes horses. So, it could have been an occupational name. Another thought was that it came from a family who ran a ferry in one particular area of Scotland. (have to look up where that was from)

So, if any of you Scots have heard of any of these names I'd love to hear about it.
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

alot of the names you won't be able to find under clan names... you have to think about the history of highland and lowland scotland before you go searching for them in clansepts.

Alot of names actually come from the towns where they didn't really have much to do with the clansystem, or the lowlands.
Ferrier/Ferry in connection with a ferrybusiness could be Fife or Lothian for example because alot of the important ferry points were here, for example Inverkeithing and Queensferry. Next time I go to Kirkcaldy Library I'll have a look into the name ressources for you, I have the names scribbled down already and put near my library books.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Catriona 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 07:52 AM
Quote Post

Banned Member

ZodiacBirch

Elspeth
Dodds is, as far as I recall, a Borders name - I seem to recall seeing lots of shops with the name 'Dodds' in Hawick and Berwick..... Perhaps you could try that as a starting point.... I have no idea whether or not it was ever a sept of any clan, but if it IS a borders name, that wouldn't be surprising.

'Dodd' or 'Doddie' is also a 'by name' (sort of nickname) for those Scots with the forename of George.... Doddie Weir is the name of a famous Scottish rugby player.
PMEmail Poster               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

arrrgh.. just had a look into my bf's fathers surname... I mean bloody hell, what they aren't trying to sell you you can count up on one hand...
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Feb-2004, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Thanks guys!

Many of these names are from the women married into the tree (at least in hindsight biggrin.gif ) and they usually end up a dead end. I'd be happy if I could just learn from where they came. I'm pretty darn sure there's no royalty in my family tree. rolleyes.gif We were more likely the scullery maids. unsure.gif

The Clawsons were rumored to have left Scotland due to 'the clearances' though the timing is more like after Culloden. It was also rumoured they may have changed their name. If so, I wonder why they picked Clawson? Some think they came from Orkney, but who knows.

I did read that there were Ferriers in Fife and the name came from the ferrying business they ran. In America a ferrier is one who shoes horses. Is that the same in Britain?
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]