Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

We (my two brothers and I) recently made the highest bid for a retired 1976 Dodge Custom 300 pumper fire truck. It only has 7000km on it, and our bid was only $1500. It has a 360, and I assume a 3-spd auto. Perfect for the farm, anyway. Other than a dent in the front chrome bumper, I can't see anything wrong with the body, since it saw so little use. I guess there weren't very many fires in Liscolm (my brother Troy lives there and is a volunteer fire fighter). The siren still works too. thumbs_up.gif It's an air horn, like you'd hear for an air raid, or mine collapse. The only thing is the horn is hooked up to a floor switch, just like the high-beam switch three inches to the left. I could see myself hitting the wrong one at night, and blaring an air horn as I bear down on an oncoming car with my high-beams on. laugh.gif

We're going to use this for the blueberry fields. The three of us are eventually taking over the farm, and this is the start. We'll use the PTO pump and tank for spraying the fields, and with the tank off we can use the flat deck to haul the berries to the shed, about 5km away. As it is now, my Dad has been renting a brand new truck every summer for harvest. That eats up a lot of profits that are already pretty thin, when you hire a sprayer, mower, harvester, etc. Unless you have your own equipment, it's hard to get anywhere with this industry.

So, pictures.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

--------------------
Caw

"I am a Canadian by birth, but I am a Highlander by blood and feel under an obligation to do all I can for the sake of the Highlanders and their literature.... I have never yet spoken a word of English to any of my children. They can speak as much English as they like to others, but when they talk to me they have to talk in Gaelic."

-Alexander Maclean Sinclair of Goshen (protector of Gaelic Culture)

We need more Stan Rogers.

jams
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Harlot 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

With all the trees you have around you,god forbid you should have a fire you'll still be able to fight the fire. Killin' two brids with one stone so to speak. But kiddin' aside Nice looking truck.

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

With red lights and a siren you should be able to cover the 5 Km in "fairly good time." biggrin.gif

That should last many years as I am sure it had good maintainance.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
sisterknight 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: clarks corner, new brunswick

female

oooooo my husband is going to be soooo jealous!!!!he's been looking for an oldie but goodie (he is a fire fighter in montreal, one of town's truck "the Bickle" is at the museum in ottawa) for ever!!!!

--------------------
non nobis domine,non nobis sed nomini tua da gloriam.

OKAY, WHAT DID I DO NOW??
PMEmail Poster               
oldraven 
Posted: 03-Nov-2008, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

The Protector of the Unknown
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Guysborough Co., Nova Scotia

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 03-Nov-2008, 11:57 AM)
With red lights and a siren you should be able to cover the 5 Km in "fairly good time." biggrin.gif

That should last many years as I am sure it had good maintainance.

Slàinte,    

Patch    

That would cause a stir at the Blueberry Shed. laugh.gif

Sisterknight, tell your husband that if he ever needs backup, and has a few days, we're there. thumbs_up.gif wink.gif

Anyone need a pool filled?
PMEmail PosterUsers Website               
Montie, druid at heart 
Posted: 04-Nov-2008, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Sugar Grove, VA

male

That is so cool!
I raise a few blue berry bushes for my consumption, and to give away to family and friends, but we've been in a drought for a while and this truck would be great. What a great price too! I've never thought about bidding on one of those but now I'll keep that in mind.
PMEmail Poster               
Patriot1776 
Posted: 04-Nov-2008, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: North Carolina

male

No doubt its had good maintenance, it being a fire truck. The 360 may not have as much pick-up as the diesel engine in these newer trucks, but for what you're going to be doing with it, a powerhouse under the hood is not necessarily needed. That transmission is most likely the indestructible 727 Torqueflite. I'd still swap in a 4-speed stick if it were me though! biggrin.gif

--------------------
LP Vinyl Enthusiast - It really needs to be in LP vinyl format for me to most certainly get it. ^^

"Your brother brought me silver, and your sister warmed my soul, but now I laugh and pull so hard and see you swinging from the gallows pole!" - from the Led Zeppelin song "Gallows Pole", 'Led Zeppelin III' album.
PMEmail Poster               
Irish Stepper 
Posted: 04-Nov-2008, 06:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

Realm: Maryland

female

Sounds like the perfect solution for the Blueberry farm. I'm sure it'll pay for itself within a couple of years too! thumbs_up.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada. They provide music license coverage through SOCAN.
Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance Tavern, Celt-Rock-Radio, A Celtic Christmas, SaltyDog Radio, Best of Celtic Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With MicroSoft Edge, Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]