Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Introduce Yourself!, New to the Wales Forum? Welcome!
susieq76 
Posted: 20-Apr-2005, 08:35 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

Hey everyone,

My name is Susanna, and I am the moderator for Wales. I thought it would be good to get a central welcoming thread for us to post on and introduce ourselves to one another. Sorry it has taken so long to get to this! Many welcomes to our humble Forum and to Celtic Radio! We are glad to have you here, and look forward to loads of conversations!

--------------------
"Alas for those who never sing and die with all their music left in them" - Oliver Wendell Holmes
PMMy Photo Album               
susieq76 
Posted: 20-Apr-2005, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Stars
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacVine

Realm: Middle o' North Carolina

female

I will start with myself!

I am Susanna, a 28 year old who lives in North Carolina, in the U.S. I love all things Celtic, and have an uncle whose family is from Wales and that originally got me interested. When the position for a new moderator here opened up, I bugged Macfive until he graciously allowed me to jump in! And so, since then I have been reading lots of books, learning (trying to anyway) Welsh and expanding my knowledge of Wales.

I am so excited that there is a place here for those of us who love Wales, and it is great to see so many people who are also interested in it! Any conversations/lessons in Welsh will be in the language section of this website, which is listed under Celtic Languages.

Just a note - feel free to post new threads about Wales in this forum, but check first to make sure that there isn't already a thread about the same subject. That way we can avoid duplicates! Thanks so much!!
PMMy Photo Album               
Siarls 
Posted: 22-Apr-2005, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Student of Modern Celtic Languages
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: The Lliw Valley, South Wales

male

Helo! Fy enw ydy Siarls. Fi'n byw yn Ne Cymru. Cymro Cymraeg fi, ond hefyd fi'n astudio'r Gymraeg ym Mhrifysgol Cymru Abertawe. Fi'n siarad yn wahanol o Gymraeg Safonol, so os well (gy)da chi, ond fi'n treial "mix and match" fy Nghymraeg a fi'n gallu cadw fy nhafodiaith ond hefyd chi gyd yn gallu deall.

Hi. My name's Siarls. I live in South Wales. I am Welsh, but I also study Welsh at the University of Wales Swansea. I speak differently from Standard Welsh, but if you prefer, I will try to mix and match my Welsh and then I can keep my dialect and you can still understand me!

--------------------
Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i´m gwlad
Tra môr yn fur
I'r bur hoff bau
O bydded i´r heniaith barhau
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 29-Apr-2005, 11:53 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

female

I finally found this thread. Diolch, Susanna for the direction. I didn't even notice there were several pages of Welsh thread.

I'm Gwenynen. I got the name from Gwenynen Gwent, the bardic name of Lady Llanover. She was English but was born in Wales and married a Welsh man. She used her wealth to contribute greatly to the Welsh culture and language. There is even a society:
http://www.ladyllanover.org.uk/

I have no Welsh ancestry that I know of unless I go back to Noah but I consier myself Cymraes at heart. When I came across Wales and the language, though from across the Atlantic, I thought I had unearthed my true identity at last. For some time before that, I felt as if I were waiting for something, not for a letter in the mail, not for a person but something I couldn't figure out myself. Now I know what that 'something' is - discovering of my identity.

I live in USA and have a family. They know I like to study Welsh more than cook dinner for them!

I hope more people interested in Wales will join us.

Hwyl am y tro. smile.gif

--------------------
Weithiau, mae'r ateb i'n problemau o dan ein trwynau, dim ond bod angen i ni gymryd cam yn ôl ac edrych eto. - Stuart Kerner
PMEmail Poster                
Eiric 
Posted: 11-May-2005, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Son of the Seven Seas and Keeper of the Holy Key
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

Shw Mae! My name's Johan Eiric and I'm an 18 years old lad frae Sweden. Thanks to Siarls I found this site, and I have also started to learn Welsh thanks to him!

Diolch!

See ya!

--------------------
Anam Ceilteach

About Indigenous Peoples
If you ever needed a Gàidhlig dictionary

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever

Tha gach uile dhuine air a bhreth saor agus co-ionnan ann an urram 's ann an còirichean. Tha iad air am breth le reusan is le cogais agus mar sin bu chòir dhaibh a bhith beò nam measg fhein ann an spiorad bràthaireil

If you think you can hold me down
I beg to differ
If you think you can twist my words
I'll sing forever
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 11-May-2005, 09:37 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

Hey Ioan! Shwmae! Anything you need, I'm at your service. I thought I saw you were active in the Gaelic threads. I don't have the confidence to venture in there!
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 11-May-2005, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

Helo Johan. Croeso! Good for you to have started learning Welsh. Siarls is a great teacher.

You're from Sweden? One of my favorite Christian singers is Lena Maria. Have you heard her? She is popular in Japan among non-Christians too.

I hear Swedish and Danish are relatively similar. Do you think so? I used to work for a Danish company in Japan. I tried to learn Danish but failed. The only thing I remember is "Mange tak" - Thank you very much. I'm not even sure if I spelled it right.

Anyway, welcome to the Welsh thread. Hope you'll enjoy.
PMEmail Poster                
Eiric 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 12:45 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Sweden, but me heart's in Scotland - An t-Suain, ach tha mo chridhe às ann Alba

male

Well, they're related but if swedish is RP, then Danish is drunken frenchmen trying to speak american english...
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 03:59 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

QUOTE (Siarls @ 11-May-2005, 11:37 AM)
Hey Ioan! Shwmae! Anything you need, I'm at your service. I thought I saw you were active in the Gaelic threads. I don't have the confidence to venture in there!

Hi Siarls! Don't be afraid of the Gaelic threads! We don't bite! I promise! smile.gif I am far from fluent and make mistakes quite often. I would consider myself somewhere between the advanced beginner and intermediate levels in Gaelic. Cù Dubh and Faileas are wonderful teachers.

Have I mentioned how wonderful it is to see the Welsh threads being used? I am so glad you guys are here! Now if we could just get the other Celtic Language threads moving! sad.gif I'm really surprised that the Irish threads aren't being used, since we have such a large group of Irish learners here! We need to get some Breton, Cornish, and Manx Gaelic speakers involved here! Anybody know any?

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 04:03 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Please forgive me for the off-topic post above! I am not a learner of Welsh, but of Scottish Gaelic. SOmeday I would love to learn the Welsh also, but for nwo I have my hands full with the Gaelic. As Moderator, I will pop in from time to time jsut to make sure that there aren't any problems. I speak no Welsh, so I will be depending on you guys to help me keep an eye on the Welsh only thread to make sure nothing inappropriate gets posted there. Please notify me as soon as possible if you see something I need to remove!

Well, I've got to get to work. Happy learning, everyone!
Eiric 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 05:13 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacAlder

male

I just showed me french teacher this home page (the one from Breizh) and he will hopefully join this forum!
PMEmail Poster               
Siarls 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

My Gaelic extends mainly to "I am tired". It was Faileas that introduced me to this site. We talk now and again on Yahoo Messenger.
I know someone who teaches Breton, I will email her this website. Hopefully that will get Breton moving.
I'm surprised about Ireland as well - I thought Ireland would be the most famous/popular Celtic nation.
I'll keep an eye on the Welsh threads!!!

My friend speaks Norwegian and she had a friend who was Danish and they used to communicate quite well. She'd say something in Norwegian and he'd reply in Danish. It worked quite well.
PMEmail Poster               
gwenynen 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacReed

female

My memory must be failing. I must have heard Danish and Norwegian were similar, not Swedish.
PMEmail Poster                
Siarls 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Group Icon

ZodiacHawthorn

male

No, I mean all the Scanindavian languages are similar. According to my Norwegian friend anyway, she can understand both Swedish and Danish. She can't understand Icelandic, though.
Finnish and the native languages of Northern Scandinavia however are not of the same family of languages, so when I say Scandinavian - I mean Danish, Norwegian and Swedish.
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 12-May-2005, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (WizardofOwls @ 12-May-2005, 06:03 AM)
As Moderator, I will pop in from time to time !

Hello everyone! When I wrote this this morning, i thought I was reading something in the Celtic Languages forum which I moderate. Obviously this is the Wales forum which I don't moderate! (Wiz blushes) Sorry for the confusion!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]