Patch 
Posted: 14-May-2008, 07:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

Coming back this afternoon I followed the old canal for about 15 miles. Mostly it is only about one and a half to two feet deep. There were at least a dozen "Cranes" and "Herons" of various sizes feeding in it and there were probably more I couldn't see.

Slàinte,    

Patch  
PMEmail Poster               
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Took the boys birding up to Lake Erie over the past holidays. For two young strapping men in their '20's, it was suprising to see how much they got into it.
Saw a couple of Bald Eagles, a red tail hawk and not much else.
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 10:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

We seem to have quite a variety around here. I still get excited when I get to go "North" and see the Canadian geese. With the plane crash in New York attributed to birds, the local news has been reporting on the eagles that are effecting the airport near here. I still believe they are protected aren't they? I know they were considering taking them off.

We have wild peacocks within a quarter of a mile from us. They have a unique call. Going through that area when I was taking my daughter to school, she would "caw" out the window and set all of them off. Thank goodness most everyone is respectful to them and slows down to let them cross the road when they deem to do so.

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 07:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Up here if you have peacocks or any other type of bird, you better keep them caged, 'cause if they are out on the road they'll be road pizza by the end of the day period-end of disscusion!!!!

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
flora 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 08:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Why?
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 08:14 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Do the rest of you have to deal with Starlings? They are RATS with feathers and need to be eradicated! HOW do I feed my little friends and keep these f#$%ers out of my feeders? We shoot them all summer, but if I shoot them in the winter it scares my litle friends off and I am back to ground zero! ANY way to keep the rats out of my feeders?????

beer_mug.gif
Dogshirt 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 08:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Why?

Because they DO NOT belong on the road!!!! Period!
We shoot them if they impac t road traffic, they are foreign and are not covered under "Range Law"!

beer_mug.gif
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 08:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
41,531 Gold!

QUOTE (flora @ 16-Jan-2009, 12:00 PM)
We have wild peacocks within a quarter of a mile from us.

You may have peafowl running wild in your area, but they are not native. Like many alien species that have been released in Florida and other areas, they have bred profusely, many times crowding out native species (pheasants). The Indian peafowl is native to India, the green peafowl is native to Burma through to Java. None of them belong in America that are not in captivity.

By the way Dogshirt, starlings are an imported species also. They should be eliminated.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
Dogshirt 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 09:04 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

perhaps so, but they are covered under the "Migratory Biird treaty and as such, fopr some damn reason are protected!!!!!

beer_mug.gif
Rindy 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

I've been reading this thread and I got this in the mail today that I felt I should post it here. I agree Starlings can be as much of a pest as crows.

Infestation

Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 16-Jan-2009, 10:02 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

That's good Rindy. Always look up with mouth closed.

Dogshirt, what is it that Starlings do to aggravate you so? I thought people in Washington State were more respectful of nature. And what does "Range Law" cover? I have a feeling it has something to do with "if your cattle go on my land, it's my meat".

Carolina, since Florida has had so many exotic animal park "breakouts" we have more than our share of nonspecies but I don't feel they should be exterminated. After all human encroachment has displaced more than exotic species have.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 29-Jan-2009, 03:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

I have a large vacant building with any missing windows in my end of town and tens of thousands of starlings nest in it. They head out in search of food and poop on every thing. The city poisons them, I shoot them and some trap and drown them. I know a person who built a "roost" and electrocutes them.

In Colorado, open range law meant livestock had the right of way on roads. If you hit someones steer on the road you had to pay for the animal. Hitting a 1200 to 1500 pound breeding animal causes you even greater problems.

Slàinte,    

Patch     
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 30-Jan-2009, 05:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Thank you Patch for clarifying that for me. I have seen the damage that deer can do to your car. Most cars come apart with fender benders, I can imagine what cattle would do.

Is this on federal park open range that this applies to or privately owned land?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 30-Jan-2009, 10:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

male

Open range means that Public lands that are leased for grazing for SHEEP or CATTLE do not need to be fenced. If you hit a RANGE animal in open range, then that is your bad luck. Not only is it NOT covered by your insurance, but you have to pay for the animal as well! If it was pregnant, you have to pay for the lamb/calf as well!
Starlings shite EVERYWHERE! They eat the food I put out for legitamate birds, they spread disease amongst legitamate birds, they foul fodder for cows and horses (NOT a range animal by the way!) and are VERY destructive to fruit and vegetable crops. RATS with feathers!

beer_mug.gif
Shadows 
Posted: 31-Jan-2009, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Reader of souls, vision seeker, TROLL
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: The frontier of Penn's Woods

male

QUOTE (Dogshirt @ 30-Jan-2009, 11:15 PM)
Open range means that Public lands that are leased for grazing for SHEEP or CATTLE do not need to be fenced. If you hit a RANGE animal in open range, then that is your bad luck. Not only is it NOT covered by your insurance, but you have to pay for the animal as well! If it was pregnant, you have to pay for the lamb/calf as well!
Starlings shite EVERYWHERE! They eat the food I put out for legitamate birds, they spread disease amongst legitamate birds, they foul fodder for cows and horses (NOT a range animal by the way!) and are VERY destructive to fruit and vegetable crops. RATS with feathers!

beer_mug.gif

These feathered Rats also are hard on your home. I have had to replace my wooden soffits 3 times in the last 4 years due to these vermin peking holes in and then tearing down my soffits so they can get inside to nest...here on my property we have a shoot on site order... I use a pellet gun for them, no noise to scare the other birds.

On a better note here a a few of the birds that visited one of our feeders during the ice storm we had here this week.

user posted image

user posted image

--------------------
I support the separation of church and hate!

IMAGINATION - the freest and largest nation in the world!

One can not profess to be of "GOD" and show intolerence and prejudice towards the beliefs of others.

Am fear nach gleidh na h–airm san t–sith, cha bhi iad aige ’n am a’ chogaidh.
He that keeps not his arms in time of peace will have none in time of war.

"We're all in this together , in the parking lot between faith and fear" ... O.C.M.S.

“Beasts feed; man eats; only the man of intellect knows how to eat well.”

"Without food we are nothing, without history we are lost." - SHADOWS

Is iomadh duine laghach a mhill an Creideamh.
Religion has spoiled many a good man.

The clan MacEwen
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]