Raven 
Posted: 26-Apr-2004, 07:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

I know how you feel, but I don't know what my excuse is with the LB novels. tongue.gif

I've always read a lot and mostly fiction. When I became a Christian I left a lot of that behind for a long time and I still selective about what I read but I definitely needed a time away from my old habits. I primarily read the Bible at that time and books having to do with my new faith. I found that I paritcularly enjoyed books having to do with Aplolgetics. But I was also interested in books that explained others beliefs also. I have always been one who likes to try to relate to why people think what they do regardless of what that may be.

I don't remember my first Christian fiction novel, but I am pretty sure it was "This Present Darkness" which I still think is outstanding on every level (you are free to disagree wink.gif ) As a Christian I have always felt that I should not except less than the best in anything that I do, but I sometimes get the idea that many Christians are ok about putting substandard work forward as God will or must bless it because it is intended to glorify him. (this is no comment on anyone here just a generality that I have observed) at first I just thought that some of the substandard ....products, (i.e. music, television, ...) for lack of a better term were because all the really talented people must be on the dark side. Then I realized that there are a couple of other factors that come in to play. Politics and laziness.

It has historically been almost as if certain people in the organized church have appointed themselves the handicapper general and think that it is the sin of pride to strive for excellance. (not true in all cases and something that seems to be slowly changing) I know the Church has not always been this way but at one point was a major proponent of the arts.

I just think that God gives us the best so we should not except anything less than the best to give back. Probably makes me a little more critical in this case.

I'm glad that you have enjoyed the series, we all need that escape and I am not trying to dampen your spirits about the books I just wish a little more effort had been put into the writing especially since I am sure that the rewards have been tremendous.

I am not at all critical of the LaHaye's ministry as I know that God works through different people for different things and I can make no pretense to understand the hows or whys unsure.gif

But I am very glad if this series has helped in any way with your faith and walk.

Pardon my hypercritical spirit tongue.gif

Peace and God Bless

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Annabelle 
Posted: 26-Apr-2004, 08:30 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

I know some folks don't care for the LB books but I have to give the series credit for helping me to open my mind and think about how I could relate to it if the rapture was happening now in our time. All of the books I can not put down.
In many ways the series forced me to look at my own life.

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

Annabelle, I agree! The Rapture always seemed some far-off event. Now I think, What if it happened today? Have I done all for Him that I could have done today? And so many times the answer is a shameful NO.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 10:01 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Raven, a few days ago I promised you a list of books which discuss the LB series from other, alternate view points. Well, I'm sorry that I forgot! Here it is, though a few days late...

End Times Fiction: A Biblical Consideration of the Left Behind Theology
Gary DeMar

Will Catholics Be Left behind? A Catholic Critique of the Rapture and Today's Prophecy Preachers
Carl E. Olson

The Rapture Trap: A Catholic Response to Endtimes Fever
Paul Thigpen

The Left Behind Deception: Revealing Dangerous Errors About the Rapture and the AntiChrist
Steve Wohlberg

IRAQ: Babylon of the End-Times?
C. Marvin Pate and J. Daniel Hayes

I Want To Be Left Behind
Ted Noel

I Want to be Left Behind: An Examination of the Ideas Behind the Popular Series and the End Times
Tim Kirk

Please keep in mind that I have not read these books. I am only coying their titles here from another source, so I have no idea what they have to say. I DO know that each is said to espouse a differing view from that expressed in the Left Behind series, whose eschathology (sp?) I fully support and with which I am in full agreement.

Hope you find something here of interst to you, and I hope it helps!
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 11-May-2004, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

For those of you who may be reading this topic thread for the first time, my last post may be a little confusing. That's becasue part of our conversation did not take place here, but over in the What Are You Reading Now? thread in the Special Interest forum called The Book Stop. For you convenience I have gathered all of the relevant portions form that conversation and posted them here.

wizardofowls May 6, 2004
I am reading "The Truth Behind Left Behind" by Mark Hitchcock and Thomas Ice. It's a discussion of the escathological viewpoints used in the making of the Left Behind series. Im just starting it today, so I can't tell you if its good or not just yet!

Raven May 6, 2004
Believe it or not WO I am reading the last book in the Left Behind series but it's to easy to put down I'm interested in hearing about the book you are currently reading as I told you before I have a major disagreement with the eschatology of the LB series.

wizardofowls May 6, 2004
Glad to hear that your reading it. Let me know how it is! I don't think you'll like the one I'm reading, though, because it appears to take a definite pro-LB stance. It does give a listing of some other books which take different stances if you'd like me to post them for you!

Raven May 6, 2004
Sorry to say that this last book is blah also, however it is giving me a little more insight into how they interpret the end time prophesies (although I can't for the life of me see how they got there) It does give me insight as to how people are comfortable with the interpretation that they are using in LB. I am always interested in seeing other viewpoints, particularly since it seems that anything different than the LB view is generally ridiculed and dismissed out of hand in spite of their validity.

wizardofowls May 6, 2004
Raven - I will try to post those books for you over on my LB thread in the K&C. It probably won't be today though. I've got to get off of here shortly and go mow (blech) and then I have a prayer meeting to go to tonight. Hopefully tomorrow!

Roisin-Teagan 
Posted: 13-May-2004, 11:20 PM
Quote Post

a ragamuffin of Eireann
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacElder

Realm: South Louisiana

female

I'm late joining this thread, well I have little to offer except an opinion.

The L.B. series books never appealed to me. I saw part of the movie, and it drove me crazy. I kept thinking with all the money the Christian Church has as a whole is this the best picture they can come up with? Same with the Omega Code. The Passion of the Christ was the first "Christian" made movie that I truly enjoyed. As to when the rapture takes place, I would like to think it would happen just before tribulation. I've studied it at length, and I have my theories, but I have to honestly say I don't know. But what I do know is it doesn't matter---really what does matter is that Christian believers will be going up in the rapture.

I did read "Pearcing the Darkness" years ago and found it to be a great read, but I mainly lean toward apologetics and the Bible (of course).

Peace,
Roisin angel_not.gif

--------------------
Roisin-Teagan

"There, in that hand, on that shoulder under that chin---all of its lightness delicately balanced and its strings skillfully bowed---it becomes a voice."---Rich Mullins

"At 18, if you have oversized aspirations, the whole world sees you as a dreamer. At 40, you get the reputation for being a visionary." ---Rich Mullins

"God gives the gifts where He finds the vessel empty enough to receive them."---C.S. Lewis

Éire go Brách!
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 14-May-2004, 07:57 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

I with you Roisen on all counts thumbs_up.gif

Mikel
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 30-May-2004, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hello all!

I just bought a new book at Wal-Mart last night. It is Apocalypse Crucible, which is the second book in the military spin-off from Left Behind by Mel Odom. I really enjoyed the first book and would recommend it for anyone who liked the the original LB series and would like to read it again from a military perspective. I typically don't like military books. Being somewhat of a pacifist (by choice, not religion), I usually get bogged down in all of the technical jargon (weapon descriptions, troop movements and such). Though these were present in Apocalypse Dawn, they were not over-powering. You should give these books a try! I think you might be surprised! And if you did not like the original series, these are by a different author!

Also found a time line of future releases for any one who might be interested:

Books 35 & 36 in the Left Behind: The Kids series now available (apparently the series will end with book 40, entitled Triumphant Return. I thought there were supposed to a total of 48 books in the series, 4 for each of the books in the original LB series. Oh well... I'm still waiting for books 25-34 to come to my local Christian discount store! Life on a budget is tough!)

Aug 2004 - Impeachable Offense, the second book in Nessa Hart's political LB spin-off to be released.

Oct 2004 - Apocalypse Burning, the third book in Mel Odom's Military spin-off to be released

Nov 16 2004 - glorious Appearing out in paper back (I CAN'T WAIT! smile.gif)

Jan 2005 - The third book in Nessa Hart's political spin-off series to be released.

That's all for now!

Have a wonderful day,
God bless you,
And keep looking up, for we know not the day nor the hour!
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 07-Jun-2004, 03:37 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hello all!

I found out today at leftbehind.com that both a prequel and a sequel are in the works for the LBS! Should be interesting!

Your Brother In Christ
Raven 
Posted: 07-Jun-2004, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

I might like the one with the military jargon Allen just because I am a gearhead biggrin.gif
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 08-Jun-2004, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

I really think you would like it, then! As I said before, it follows the same basic events as the original series, but with a whole new set of characters! The basic ones stay the same though, Carpathia is still there! But it is all set in the military. I don't know if these characters will ever have any interaction with the ones from the oiriginal group, but it would be cool to see a little crossover happen!

To repeat, the first two books are called Apocalypse Dawn and Apocalypse Crucible and the author is Mel Odom.

You might like the political series by Nessa Hart too! Its set in Washington DC and the characters are all political figures! End of State is the only book currently out in that series.
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 25-Jun-2004, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

It looks as though Cloud Ten Pictures, the people who produced the two Left Behind movies, are now in the process of working on two new projects - a Left Behind animated series and a Left Behind television series!

Here is a link for more info:
http://www.cloudtenpictures.com/

Sounds interesting, to say the least!

As I was doing more looking around for this, I found alot of confusing info!

Here are some other sites which talk about the TV series:

http://www.namesakeentertainment.com/lbtv.html
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?p...7¬Found=true
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/print.cgi?2...-10/25/09.00.tv
http://www.cloudtenpictures.com/tv_leftbeh...nd/tv_press.htm

The information givne is kinda confusing, to say the least! I'll keep you informed if I find out anything else.
Siobhan Blues 
Posted: 03-Jul-2004, 12:49 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Raven @ 22-Apr-2004, 11:16 PM)
Escatology differences are in the timing of the Rapture/Catching away. I'm not saying it absolutely couldn't happen just before the Great Tribulation, but the more I study the more I become convinced that as much as I would prefer it to be that way the less likely it looks to me. I have a multitude of reasons and if you would like to talk about that I would be happy to start a new thread...

The Rapture is a fascinating thing; I've tried to figure out when it will be by reading Revelations but I get a headache every time I get too far into that book! All that symbolism... trying to figure out if the predictions & visions mean things that have already happened or things in the future - lookaround.gif
Its quite a puzzle. I've gotten the impression that the rapture would happen during the early part of the tribulation myself but I know its open to interpretation.
It bothered me that in the Left Behind movie, they show people disappearing off the airplane & off the planet in general, when I thought before that happened there would be the sound of trumpets & stuff. Oh well!

I've studied it a good bit about end times and definately do see things happening now that I think are indications, but honestly nowadays I study more of what Christ said when he was here & try to make sure I put to good use the time I have left. He discouraged fretting about what's going to happen because as believers we have a secure future...

SB

--------------------
"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king..."
user posted image

SGGardner Art

www.SouthernShireFarm.com
PM               
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 11:13 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hi!

Just wanted to let you know that I saw Impeachable Offense, the second book in the political spin-off by Nessa Hart , in a book store tonight! I didn't have any extra money with me or it would be in my grubby paws right now! biggrin.gif Have no doubts, though, as soon as I have the money I WILL be buying it!
WizardofOwls 
Posted: 18-Sep-2004, 11:14 PM
Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

ZodiacVine

male

Hi!

Just wanted to let you know that I saw Impeachable Offense, the second book in the political spin-off by Nessa Hart , in a book store tonight! I didn't have any extra money with me or it would be in my grubby paws right now! biggrin.gif Have no doubts, though, as soon as I have the money I WILL be buying it!
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]