Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Serious Business: Fishing, What is YOUR approach?
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

1 or 2 little ones don't bother me, but these were huge. I saw them and my feet went up!

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

That is still way too frightening for me. I live to fish but that would end it right there!! I'm terrified of our water snakes here and they aren't even poisonous. They're just snakes unsure.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:23 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 23 2003, 02:15 PM)
Okay, I'll 'bite' laugh.gif Tell me tell me tell me oh please. tongue.gif

This stems from a story when I was at work talking to one of the young guys during our lunch period.

One day we were talking about fishing and this young kid piped up and said that he had a cooler full of night crawlers at home. Since he had told me that he had taken Ranger training for the Army how he could eat anything, I thought that this was my chance.

I asked him what he did with the night crawlers and he told me that he used them for fishing. I asked him why he was using food for catching fish. He asked me what I did with them and I told him that I ate them and how they were good for you. I could see the cringe in his face and I knew I had him.

He asked how I ate them and I told him that one good way was to deep fry them. I told him to first prepare them by taking a fillet knife and slit them long ways and then place them under running water and rinse out the dirt and entrals. Then roll them in a Beer Batter and drop them into a deep frier and wait until they were a golden brown. I could see him even more. But then I told him that the best way for you was to eat them while they were still fresh out of the ground. At this point I could see him shudder.

That night after work I went to the store here in town and picked out the reddist gummy worm I could find. (This was when gummy worms just came out on the market). I went home a put it in my lunch box for the next day.

When I came to break time the next day, he was already outside eating and I palmed the gummy worm in my hand and walked outside in the grass and said out loud that I found a worm. He turned to look at me and I dropped it im my mouth and started chewing. He then jumped up and ran to the parking lot and lost what he had in his stomache.

From that point on, he never said a word about how he could eat anything again.

Was that Ornery of me or what. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Raven 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 22 2003, 01:24 PM)
I've never gotten to go ice fishing. Would love to try sometime. I do like fishing in the summer, tho. The sun is warm and the beer_mug.gif is cold and the fish feed so nicely. ahhhh

The nice thing about winter fishing is no bugs tongue.gif

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 23 2003, 02:23 PM)
This stems from a story when I was at work talking to one of the young guys during our lunch period.

One day we were talking about fishing and this young kid piped up and said that he had a cooler full of night crawlers at home. Since he had told me that he had taken Ranger training for the Army how he could eat anything, I thought that this was my chance.

I asked him what he did with the night crawlers and he told me that he used them for fishing. I asked him why he was using food for catching fish. He asked me what I did with them and I told him that I ate them and how they were good for you. I could see the cringe in his face and I knew I had him.

He asked how I ate them and I told him that one good way was to deep fry them. I told him to first prepare them by taking a fillet knife and slit them long ways and then place them under running water and rinse out the dirt and entrals. Then roll them in a Beer Batter and drop them into a deep frier and wait until they were a golden brown. I could see him even more. But then I told him that the best way for you was to eat them while they were still fresh out of the ground. At this point I could see him shudder.

That night after work I went to the store here in town and picked out the reddist gummy worm I could find. (This was when gummy worms just came out on the market). I went home a put it in my lunch box for the next day.

When I came to break time the next day, he was already outside eating and I palmed the gummy worm in my hand and walked outside in the grass and said out loud that I found a worm. He turned to look at me and I dropped it im my mouth and started chewing. He then jumped up and ran to the parking lot and lost what he had in his stomache.

From that point on, he never said a word about how he could eat anything again.

Was that Ornery of me or what. rolleyes.gif

That is simply wonderful!!! laugh.gif
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:32 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 23 2003, 03:25 PM)
The nice thing about winter fishing is no bugs tongue.gif

Another nice thing about winter fishing is that most of the Anglers are home all nice warm and cozy thinking about fishing while I am out there catching them.

I asked myself one day while watching a fishing show, why sit here and watch while I could be out there catching them. I fell in love with it and don't want to go back to just watching it.

The best time is right after a heavy snow when all is quiet. And knowing you are there all by yourself. The whole River to yourself. biggrin.gif It puts a smile on my face every time.
PMEmail Poster                
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

not being such a girl about it? *laughs* I actually quite like being a girl, thank you wink.gif

Naa, I couldn't give a poor wee fish that sort of panic.. I rather go walking happy.gif

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Now you have me interested. What do I need to ice fish..........besides ice biggrin.gif
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

QUOTE (JaneyMae @ Dec 23 2003, 08:44 PM)
Now you have me interested. What do I need to ice fish..........besides ice biggrin.gif

long underwear!
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 02:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (Aon_Daonna @ Dec 23 2003, 02:43 PM)
not being such a girl about it? *laughs* I actually quite like being a girl, thank you wink.gif

Naa, I couldn't give a poor wee fish that sort of panic.. I rather go walking happy.gif

You sound just like my daughter. She was raised with a pole in her hands but now chases her kidlets and walks. I can respect that biggrin.gif I usually don't scare too many fish too badly. I'll flip a dry fly even when the fish aren't biting. I love being on the river in my boat floating. The scenery is incredible and so is the wild life. biggrin.gif
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Dec 23 2003, 03:47 PM)
long underwear!

And more long underwear. biggrin.gif

The first thing you need to know, is to tell if the Ice is any good or not.

If the Ice looks white DO NOT GO OUT ON IT. This is a soft Ice and you can easily fall through.

If the Ice looks black you are safe as long as the Ice is thick enough.

The rule on Ice goes as follows.
2" is safe for a man walking
3" is safe for a man on a horse
4" is safe for an automobile
6" is safe for a train.

I never go out until it is at least 4" I know I will be safe then.

A good snow mobile suit with a hood helps with a GOOD pair of Pack boots.

These are the items that I take with me.

1. You need something to cut the Ice such as an Ice Auger.
2. Ice scoop for the broken ice in the hole
3. A bucket to sit on and carry my tackle and bait and to put the fish in when I go home.
4. Usually a short rod with light line but it depends on what you are fishing for.

As for being a beginner. Do not go out by yourself. Always be smart and keep aware of what is going on around you. Stay away from any place that has running water near or below and stay away from any springs.

First of all BE SAFE!
PMEmail Poster                
RavenWing 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

female

Richard, I forgot where you are. unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster               
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Okay, So I need to buy more long underwear..........

We don't have ice on the reservoir until January or February that is that thick. i'll aim for the 4" as suggested. Now I know what I can ask for Christmas.

Like you said, no bugs and better yet, no snakes biggrin.gif

Can hardly wait to give this a try! What kind of bait do you use?
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 03:30 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

male

Raven Wing,

I live in Western Ohio.

Janey Mae,

I really depend on what kind of fish you plan to fish for.

For Sunfish such as Bluegills, Red Ears, Green Sunfish. I would suggest such thing as Wax Worms, Meal Worm, Mousies and Spikes. All of there are maggot type baits.

For Crappies, Walleyes, Saugers, Saugeyes, Pikes. I would suggest minnow type baits.
PMEmail Poster                
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 23-Dec-2003, 03:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

We have Lake Trout (Mackinaw) and rainbows. Never fished for the ones you mentioned. My son did bucket catch some blue gill once and put them in his bath tub. He named them and told me it was his aquarium. But that's a different story. laugh.gif I've seen meal worms before so maybe that's what we use here. I'll find out.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]