Quote Post

Wanderer and Vagabond

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacVine

Realm: Wytheville, Virginia

male

HARRY SET TO WORK HIS MAGIC ON GAELIC

Mike Merritt

GAELIC campaigners are hoping Harry Potter can work a little magic on their language.

Publishers of the boy wizard books have announced the first in the series is to be translated into Gaelic.

Campaigners believe it will boost the language's popularity among children.

Donald Martin, head of Gaelic development agency Comunn na Gidhlig said: 'We see Harry Potter as an important part of popularising Gaelic.

'It will take the language into the realms of topicality. Most of the Gaelic books are about history and culture.'Boost

Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone will go on sale next year as Harry Potter Agus Clach An Fheallsanaich.

Campaigners - including pupils of Glasgow Gaelic School - had lobbied publishers Bloomsbury for some time for a translation of JK Rowling's book, which was made into a film starring Daniel Radcliffe as Harry.

Donald Martin added: 'We supplied a list of translators to Bloomsbury and it is good to hear that at last the first book is coming out. We are delighted.'

'I think one of the problems is that it is a big job and that some of the words will not translate into Gaelic.'

Author JK Rowling's agents told campaigners of the decision just days before she announced the sixth in the series - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - would be published on July 16. The books have already been translated into nearly 50 languages, including Irish Gaelic.

--------------------
Slàn agus beannachd,
Allen R. Alderman

'S i Alba tìr mo chridhe. 'S i Gàidhlig cànan m' anama.
Scotland is the land of my heart. Gaelic is the language of my soul.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]