Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Forum Rules Enter at own risk!

The Philosophy, Science & Religion forum has been created as an unmoderated forum. The issues discussed here can and will get very intense. Please show respect and appreciation to alternative views posted here. We appreciate your consideration.

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> A Plan For Our Lives, Does God Have One?
Elspeth 
Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 08:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Wales
ZodiacReed

female

Sounds good so far, though the word plan is one I balk at. But, it depends on how plan is defined.

Now I'm going to throw a curve. This is fine if we were traversing our paths alone, however, we're not. They interconnect at every step and other's choices effect our lives.

For example - Say God created me to be a doctor. Gave the intelligence, skill and desire to achieve that goal and a sincere wish to serve mankind. But I didn't have the finances to fulfill the dream.

My rich Uncle Blank, however, had traveled a path that afforded him riches. Now, what if God had allowed him to amass this fortune in order to help others, including me. But Uncle Blank decided not to help me. I couldn't go to med school and I never became a doctor.

Now if we are to believe in a plan, God wouldn't have set it up this way. If one believes in a plan, then every setback was destined.

But this does not take into effect the free will of others.

I have found in my experiences other?s choices to have adversely effect my life and ultimate path I followed. Choices that these others later confessed to be mistakes.

If we believe in a plan, God planned these choices. But if they were planned, then they weren't choices.

Foreknowledge works better for me. I can find some peace in thinking God intended for my life to follow a certain path, made me best suited for that path but I am not on that path now because of the free will of others.

What I really wonder is, if there IS a plan, am I supposed to find my way back to it?

But if life is more a process, a result of choices, both our own and others as well, then we just go on, knowing wherever we are and whatever we are in, God is with us.

--------------------
Compassion is the sometimes fatal capacity for feeling what it is like inside somebody else's skin. It is the knowledge that there can never really be any peace and joy for me until there is peace and joy finally for you too.
- Frederick Buechner

If society prospers at the expense of the intangibles,
how can it be called progress?

-LLP
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
Raven 
Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Indianapolis, IN

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 17 2003, 09:58 PM)

Now if we are to believe in a plan, God wouldn't have set it up this way. If one believes in a plan, then every setback was destined.

But this does not take into effect the free will of others.

I have found in my experiences other’s choices to have adversely effect my life and ultimate path I followed. Choices that these others later confessed to be mistakes.

If we believe in a plan, God planned these choices. But if they were planned, then they weren't choices.

Foreknowledge works better for me. I can find some peace in thinking God intended for my life to follow a certain path, made me best suited for that path but I am not on that path now because of the free will of others.

What I really wonder is, if there IS a plan, am I supposed to find my way back to it?

But if life is more a process, a result of choices, both our own and others as well, then we just go on, knowing wherever we are and whatever we are in, God is with us.

I would agree that the definition of plan is critical. I think a good example of God's flexability in planning (using who is willing and ultimately knowing who that will be through fore knowledge) God is able to see that his plans are executed through what ever means.

A great example of God's flexibility in his plan is in Esther Chapter 4 starting in verse 12 where Esther and Mordecai have learned of Haman's plot to exterminate the Jews and Mordecai tells Esther not to think that she alone will escape the slaughter just because she is in the Kings house and if she refuses to do the right thing that God will raise up another. (heavilly paraphrased for brevities sake)

I think that this sort of God like flexibility in the plan would fit into the scenario of rich uncle and Docter.

I will go back to my thesis on this note that God does have a plan that he is working. He is just not a micro manager.

Mikel

--------------------
He is no fool who gives up that which he can not keep to gain that which he cannot loose

www.arminta.net
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Elspeth 
Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 09:31 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Here's a question. Is eternal life such an amazing and all encompassing gift that we shouldn't ask for more, or does God care when I can't find my car keys?

If I am reading you right, this is what you mean about micromanager? That he has a plan for the universe, but not individuals other than how they fit into the 'big picture'?

It is silly to get too caught up in this, for God is in control, ultimately. But this isn't heaven and bad things do happen here. And that is when we try and make sense of it.

I just get bugged when people try and tell me it is this big plan, like God is some cruel puppetmaster in the sky who sets us up to fall. And if my life isn't what it should be then it is my own fault for not following ?God's plan?.

And that is when I go back and focus on what I know. God loves me and is with me always. My struggle is in discerning what path I am supposed to follow.

I find it difficult to believe in a plan, because I don't think God planned for me to be here. Then again, maybe He did. I suppose only time will tell.
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 10:43 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Idaho, USA

female

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ Dec 17 2003, 03:23 PM)
Janey Mae,

You should never apologise for White hair, this is an honor.

Gray Hair is a sign of age. wheelchair.gif

White Hair is a sign of Wisdom. rolleyes.gif

Richard,

I likeyour line of thinking!! Makes me feel much younger! smile.gif

--------------------
JaneyMae

Tangle Goblinwitch: She is only seen in the enchanted moment between sleep and waking

"Never miss a chance to shut up." Will Rogers

Leprechauns, castles, good luck and laughter.
Lullabies, dreams and love ever after.
A thousand welcomes when anyone comes...
That's the Irish for You!
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 17-Dec-2003, 10:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 17 2003, 07:22 PM)
JaneyMae won't admit it, but her "cabin" is a fine house on the bank of one of the top ten fly fishing places in the world. The best hole in the river is behind her "cabin" and is where she parks her jet boat in the summer. Awsome place if you like to play catch and release with really BIG trout. You would like it.smile.gif

See, I can be nice when I am not in a place where I am exercising the age old art of the Jester. angel_not.gif

Thanks for giving away the family secrets bro wacko.gif Okay, so the fishing party is at the cabin! The beer and soda is cold and the fridge is full of..............food. angel_not.gif Can't fit more than 3 or 4 in the boat cuz my husband has to row as we float down. The trip back up the river is a blast. band.gif

Oh, if you all come up that means the Maisky's bedroom will be taken. Sorry Maisky boff.gif

Love you, bro
Raven 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 17 2003, 10:31 PM)
Here's a question. Is eternal life such an amazing and all encompassing gift that we shouldn't ask for more, or does God care when I can't find my car keys?

If I am reading you right, this is what you mean about micromanager? That he has a plan for the universe, but not individuals other than how they fit into the 'big picture'?

It is silly to get too caught up in this, for God is in control, ultimately. But this isn't heaven and bad things do happen here. And that is when we try and make sense of it.

I just get bugged when people try and tell me it is this big plan, like God is some cruel puppetmaster in the sky who sets us up to fall. And if my life isn't what it should be then it is my own fault for not following ?God's plan?.

And that is when I go back and focus on what I know. God loves me and is with me always. My struggle is in discerning what path I am supposed to follow.

I find it difficult to believe in a plan, because I don't think God planned for me to be here. Then again, maybe He did. I suppose only time will tell.

I personally think (and this is just my opinion) that yes eternal life in the presence of the creator of everything is such an amazing and all encompassing gift that it should be enough by itself.(especially when you consider the price that was paid so that we would be able to receive this gift) Asking for more....that's just what we do tongue.gif

When I say that God is not a micro manager I certainly don't mean that he is not concerned about the details. When you look at the details of the construction of the universe that is evident. I simply mean that God is so awesome and powerful that the details get worked out (often) in spite of those being used in the plan.

I think He cares about the smallest details of what makes us happy or what is best for us in all of our lives. I think that even when we do something wrong He is powerful enough to work it into his plans. The Bible says that what the enemy means for evil God turns to good.

I don't think however that God is particularly concerned that we do make mistakes though. In fact I think he knows the mistakes we will make and the evil we will do even before we do it. He knew what each and every one of us were going to be before he made the incredible sacrifice to give us the incredible gift.

I look at the life of King David and I marvel at the fact that in spite of everything that David did the Bible says on more than one occasion that David's heart was perfect in God's sight.

Also looking at Jewish history throughout the Old Testament, they quite often did not do as God wanted and yet they all became a part of the plan with the only evidence of Micro management being when the Big Fish swallowed Jonah and spit him out on the beach at nineveh.

Should we ask for more and will God give us more?

The Bible (new testament gospel) says which of us (being evil) would give our sons a stone if they ask for bread or a snake if they ask for fish. How much more will God(being good) give good things to those who ask. (paraphrased by me not exact but I believe the meat of the verse to be there)

One last thing that when I say not a Micro manager I do not mean that he does not have a plan for how individuals will fit into the big picture only that he will not micro manage their lives in most instances (refer to fish story wink.gif ) or interfere with their free will. But will fit us into the plan often in spite of ourselves.

Peace

Mikel

The previous paragraphs represent my personal view and interpretation of God's plan at large(hopefully backed with some substance tongue.gif ) and are no way intended to represent the official view of God or The Bible
RavenWing 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Dorkus Trollus Maximus

ZodiacHazel

Realm: Indiana, USA

female

I gotta throw in my 2 cents here.

When I was still participating in the Christian religion, I had problems with the concept of predestination. It seemed to be a way for someone to not take responsibility for ther actions.

I personally believe that we were given a free will to live how we choose. It is not up to a supreme being to determine our way through life, it is for us to do, and to accept the consequences of our actions.

--------------------
May all your up's and down's be under the sheets!

Religion is for those who are afraid of going to Hell. Spirituality is for those who have already been there.
- Anonymous
PMEmail Poster               
Elspeth 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Dec 18 2003, 12:24 PM)

When I was still participating in the Christian religion, I had problems with the concept of predestination. It seemed to be a way for someone to not take responsibility for ther actions.

I personally believe that we were given a free will to live how we choose. It is not up to a supreme being to determine our way through life, it is for us to do, and to accept the consequences of our actions.

I don't believe in predestination as well. More what Raven is saying that God, being God, knows what we will do before we even consider doing it.

And I have no problem taking responsibility for my actions and the consequences that come from decisions made for the wrong reasons.

What trips me up, are the consequenses I have to endure for other people's decisions. And I stuggle to untangle that mess and wonder if there is any meaning in it.
maisky 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

QUOTE (RavenWing @ Dec 18 2003, 12:24 PM)

I have been watching this topic develop with some interest. This is one of those areas where Christianity and the Buddhism I practice differ, and I do not want to offend my Christian friends. The Buddhist theory is fairly straightforward, on the surface: everything in our life is the result of cause and effect. If it is there it is because WE put it there. NO devine intervention. Cause and effect carries with us from lifetime to lifetime in our karma storage. Past causes are still with us, waiting to manifest.

Question: What were my past causes like?
Answer: Look at what is happening in your life now.

Question: What will happen in my life in the future?
Answer: Look at what causes you are making now.

This is taking 100% responsibility for our own lives. If we don't like what is in our life, WE are the only ones who can change it. i.e. Don't blame any devine being or beg for help. Fix it yourself. How to do that is a different question. I am not out to push my belief system off on my friends in this forum. smile.gif

--------------------
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."
Carl Sagan
PMEmail Poster               
Raven 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

QUOTE (Elspeth @ Dec 18 2003, 01:10 PM)

What trips me up, are the consequenses I have to endure for other people's decisions. And I stuggle to untangle that mess and wonder if there is any meaning in it.

I would group this subject under "all things work together for good to those that love God and are the called according to his purpose" which also involves referring to "Love the Lord your God with all heart leaning not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths"

Not necessarilly something that I understand in a logical rational way but this is where faith/trust comes in.

I have to believe that if something bad happens to me that was caused by someone else or at least not a result of my own actions that God will turn it to good.

I don't necesarily like having it this way but I accept it tongue.gif
Elspeth 
Posted: 18-Dec-2003, 09:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

QUOTE (Raven @ Dec 18 2003, 03:59 PM)
I would group this subject under "all things work together for good to those that love God and are the called according to his purpose" which also involves referring to "Love the Lord your God with all heart leaning not unto your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths"

Not necessarilly something that I understand in a logical rational way but this is where faith/trust comes in.

I have to believe that if something bad happens to me that was caused by someone else or at least not a result of my own actions that God will turn it to good.

I don't necesarily like having it this way but I accept it tongue.gif

I will keep reminding myself of this for a while and see where that takes me. unsure.gif
Raven 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 08:32 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

male

For some reason I woke up today thinking about this Elspeth and here are a couple of additional thoughts that seem to be with me constantly about God and his plan/will.

We (my wife and I) make all sorts of plans, enter contests with our band for example or try to get booked at events or venues that we know that we would do well at and it amazes us as much what we don't get to do as what we do get to do.

For example: We will enter a low level song contest, try to get a show at a low level club and will get no interest and then take a long shot on a big deal song contest or event and get an award or the show.

When we go to do anything like this we deal with the disappointment if we don't get it with this thought. If God really wants us to do this no one can prevent us from doing it. As our hearts are to do what God wants us to do.

Another thing that I always try to keep at the for front of my thinking is that I am a Son of God by adoption and He will only want the best for me and even if I don't understand why something that appears to be bad is happening to me or I don't ave to feel that it is for my own good and growth. I used to have conversations with my Dad about this before he died and it is kind of a difficult concept to accept as a full grown independant adult. But God is so much older and wiser that if we look at it like we are babys in every aspect to God it helps to swallow this pill.

I have always equated it to when I was truly a child I really did not no what was good or harmful to me. IE I felt it was punishment to get up every morning and go to school, have to do jobs arround the house etc... and at some point I had to be protected from doing things that would have proved harmful IE playing with sharp knives, or in the street. Sticking my fingers in moving machinery, eating paint chips etc.... This is what God is doing with us today when it seems that we have to go through hardship or we don't get that winning lottery ticket etc.... tongue.gif

Putting it in this perspective has helped me to accept a lot of things also.

I hope it will help you also.

Mikel
Elspeth 
Posted: 19-Dec-2003, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

Thanks for the time and thought you've put into this question Raven. What you?ve had to say isn?t anything I haven?t heard/read/thought before myself but it is always good to hear it again from a fresh voice.

I think my problem with the ?plan? theory so many prescribe to is this.

At every major juncture of my life I have asked God?s guidance.
Where to go to school
What to study
Where to work
Who to marry
When to have children
How many children to have
When to go back to work
To pursue, or not, writing
Etc., etc. etc.

Each and every time I was given no discernable answer.

I finally came to believe I was given an answer in the form of a non-answer.

I believe I was being told that I had been created with many gifts and abilities, and limitations as well. I had been given life and placed upon the earth. It was now up to me to decide what to do with these gifts. The decisions were and are mine. But, that God would be with me no matter what decisions I made or where I went.

Some decisions would result in a happier or easier life than others ? but there was no plan.

I would have to say this is my belief.

God wants good things for me, but He isn?t going to set me on a path, like a Candyland Game, in order to find them. I must find them for myself. He will be with me to advise, comfort or guide ? like the perfect Father He is, but He doesn?t plan our lives.

What loving parent plans their children?s lives? We try our best to prepare them for life, but the journey is their own, as is the path. I will always be there to help my kids, but I won?t plan their lives. They must do that on their own.

This is what makes sense to me.
JaneyMae 
  Posted: 20-Dec-2003, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

QUOTE (maisky @ Dec 18 2003, 12:20 PM)
I have been watching this topic develop with some interest. This is one of those areas where Christianity and the Buddhism I practice differ, and I do not want to offend my Christian friends. The Buddhist theory is fairly straightforward, on the surface: everything in our life is the result of cause and effect. If it is there it is because WE put it there. NO devine intervention. Cause and effect carries with us from lifetime to lifetime in our karma storage. Past causes are still with us, waiting to manifest.

Question: What were my past causes like?
Answer: Look at what is happening in your life now.

Question: What will happen in my life in the future?
Answer: Look at what causes you are making now.

This is taking 100% responsibility for our own lives. If we don't like what is in our life, WE are the only ones who can change it. i.e. Don't blame any devine being or beg for help. Fix it yourself. How to do that is a different question. I am not out to push my belief system off on my friends in this forum. smile.gif

Maisky,
You are indeed wise! I must agree: This is taking 100% responsibility for our own lives. I'm not Buddhist as you but instead a Christian, but still i agree. Our Supreme Power, Whoever we see in that position, has a plan for us but it has many paths. We must face the consequences for each path we take. Life experience should tell one that.

You did indeed present that well! thumbs_up.gif
maisky 
Posted: 25-Dec-2003, 07:01 AM
Quote Post

King of CelticRadio.net Jesters
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Easton, PA

male

Perhaps the question should be: Do WE have a plan for our lives?
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]