Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I'm Back, Kinda, Couldn't resist the Heather Dale album..
silverdragon 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Tarzana, CA

female

I won't be posting often, but I couldn't resist being eligible for the Heather Dale giveaway...

Wish me luck -- my student movie shoots tomorrow! starwars.gif

--------------------
Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead wood burning
Or behold the flowing years from the Sea returning?

~ J.R.R. Tolkien

My blog: Almost, but not quite, entirely unrelated to filmmaking
PMEmail Poster                
VetteGal 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Des Plaines, Illinois

female

Silver,
Don't stay away too long!! Goodluck with the movie! Can you tell us what it is about?

--------------------
Blessed Be.

Merry meet, merry part, merry meet again.

Do as ye will, but harm ye none.

Nikki
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
silverdragon 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

All student films for this particular introductory course have to be in the form of a one-minute "commercial" for a fictional product or service (unless, of course, you actually have a client lined up...) Mine is based loosely on a story I read here on the celticradio.net board... yes, y'all bear part of the blame for this. :-) The story:

A medieval re-enactor is accosted by a mugger on his way to a tournament. He routs his assailant by drawing his sword and otherwise acting unfriendly. Of course, his cloak, armor and sword have all been purchased with... CrusaderCard, accepted wherever warriors journey. Thus, honor, individuality and personal debt triumph over evil and banality. :-)

PMEmail Poster                
VetteGal 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Des Plaines, Illinois

female

Silver,
That sounds funny! Is there anyway to get a screening of this? Or will it be posted on the web for all to see? I think that since we were the inspiration for this it would be fun to see. thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
silverdragon 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

There will be free public screenings of this (and all other student films made in the college this year) in June and September in Van Nuys, CA. Assuming I'm actually willing for folks to see it wink.gif I'll post details as the date gets closer. As for Web, I must examine closely the various releases to see if I CAN post it; no time to investigate this now.
PMEmail Poster                
Annabelle 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Realm: Outer Space

Hey when do we get to see this? It sounds like one of those Capitol Visa commercials.

--------------------
My heart will always be in the Highlands!

www.highlanderhouse.com
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 08:10 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Break a leg, Silverdragon!! cool.gif I'd love to see it, too! It sounds wonderful! Please keep us posted, and hopefully you'll be able to put it on the Web. So cool!!

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 08:29 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

Break a leg Silver Dragon, It will be hard to believe how much film will be required just of a 60 second spot.

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
Annabelle 
Posted: 29-Apr-2004, 08:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

I want to see! angel_not.gif
PMEmail Poster               
silverdragon 
Posted: 30-Apr-2004, 01:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

Please say prayers or burn incense, dear friends, because I just checked out the camera 1.5 hours ago, and already it's broken... sad.gif and my crew arrives on location in 7 hours....
PMEmail Poster                
Annabelle 
Posted: 30-Apr-2004, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacElder

Oh silver I'm sorry you are having problems on the set!
It's not good hua?
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 30-Apr-2004, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

How does that bit go from "Shakespeare in Love"? " We need a miracle.--It'll work out, it always does.--How?--I don't know. It's a mystery". (Something like that unsure.gif ) Don't worry Silverdragon! A lot can happen in 7 hours. It'll be fine!

Dreamer1 (off to pick up the kids....)
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
silverdragon 
Posted: 30-Apr-2004, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

First, I want to thank ALL y'all on CelticRadio.net for your good wishes and thoughts. Second, I want to say that my cast and crew on this were first-rate -- my friends and family who helped with this for fun and for free did a FINE job for me, each one.

Having said that,

AAAAAUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I wil not describe my day on the set. Will not. Will not. Maybe tomorrow when I don't have the screaming mimis... wacko.gif

Suffice it to say that I was on my knees praying in the ladies' room on my lunch break.

My video production was not like this. I will to some extent reserve judgement in the hopes that the Russian POS camera that Valley College forces beginning filmmakers to use is an exception, and that film cameras that REAL filmmakers use do not induce the desire to pound the things against the nearest tree.

But in general, I want to NOT MESS WITH FILM. Again. Ever. If I ever write/produce/direct my own movie (yes, I still want to) I will either a| do it on video, or b| let SOMEONE ELSE handle film. Yes, that's right, one of these bright young classmates of mine who cut their teeth on Daddy's Arriflex can be my cinematographer, no problem.

Nevertheless, for good or for ill, the film is in the can. I will not know whether it resembles a commercial, or a bad acid trip, until next Thursday.

Next up: a hot bath with Highlander Radio playing in the background for me, then bedtime. G'night, Annabelle.
PMEmail Poster                
CelticRoz 
Posted: 01-May-2004, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Silverdragon! I missed this thread! Oh boo hoo! I am sorry for what all you had to go through with your project. I am fascinated by the project you are doing! Wish I could be your grip! biggrin.gif I was watching a documentary last night on the making of The Alamo and thought of you in what all you must go through. I hope the project turned out well. Do you ever watch the show "Inside the Actor's Studio?" I LOVE that show.

Good to have you back and keep in touch!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
silverdragon 
Posted: 01-May-2004, 08:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacHolly

female

CelticRose, it's good to be back. And I'd have loved to have you as my grip! Working with people is the GOOD part. There was fun. There was sillyness with costumes and props. There were spontaneous group hugs. There was the challenge of getting everyone to work together to contribute to what was, after all, MY concept! and being a teacher is GREAT training for the management side of being a director. I STILL want to be a director when I grow up! I'll post a link to some production stills later when I get my network connection back up to my Macintosh.

Now for the Dark Side of the Force.... starwars.gif

{begin rant ranting.gif }

In the beginning there is Moving Picture Film, and it is unexposed and unprocessed and it is called Raw Stock. It liveth not in a Canister like decent respectable still Film, but dwelleth on a Spool with wide Flanges, which keeps out neither dirt nor all the light from the Raw Stock. And behold, if one droppeth the Spool of the Raw Stock, the hours of effort of director, cast and crew have gone for naught.

There is also the Camera, which is named the Krasnogorsk-3. The Instructor calleth it the K-3, but the Student calleth it the Krap-3. And the Krap-3 came to the student and had not a Hood for its Lens, nor a Filter for the rays of UV, nor even a Battery for its Light Meter. And the Student was distressed.

And behold, the Instructor said, "Thou needest not the Filter, but thou must purchase a Battery." and the Student said, "I shall purchase a Battery in the early morning, and shall make a Lens Hood of construction paper." And it was so, and the Student was 30 minutes behind on her Schedule, and behold her Cast and Crew waited on her arrival.

Then the Student trembling took the Raw Stock and fed it to the Krap-3 through a Film Path as complex as the Thread Path of a Sewing Machine (which the Moving Picture Cameras doth strongly resemble). And it was Good, and several Shots were Filmed, both the first Take and the second Take of the Shots were filmed.

The Student then noticed that the Frame Rate Dial of the Krap-3 was not on the Frame Rate that she intended, for the Frame Rate Dial of this particular Krap-3 was loose and stayeth not where placed. And after shooting the third Take and the fourth Take, she heard a faint but dire clunking sound within the Krap-3.

"Alas! I have lost my Loops!" said the Student. (These being the words of the Filmmaking craft for the Raw Stock slipping off the Cogs of the Motion Picture Camera.) And she knew not how long the Loops had been lost, nor how much of her precious Raw Stock had been ruined.

Again trembling, the Student removed her first Spool of Raw Stock, and replaced it with her second Spool. And looking through the Krap-3 Viewfinder, she saw that there was much dirt, for the slipped Cogs of the Krap-3 had ripped bits of Emulsion from her Raw Stock.

The Student opened the Krap-3, and removed the Raw Stock, placing its Spool carefully in the shade. And she cleaned the Krap-3 of the bits of ripped Emulsion. Then she looked up and was greatly afraid, for the Sun had moved while she cleaned the Krap-3, and the Spool of Raw Stock was in a small spot of sunlight!

And with this last Evil, the Malice of the Krap-3 and the Raw Stock were spent, and the Student finished the Shots, and re-took some of the Shots that she had done earlier and thought were perhaps ruined by the lost Loops or the Frame Rate Dial. But still, the student knoweth not how badly her second Spool of Raw Stock was damaged by the Sun, nor how much of her first Spool was ruined by the Frame Rate Dial and the lost Loops. Nor will she know this until the Screening of the Dailies, which happeneth Thursday next.

{end rant ranting.gif }

The film purists can have this hassle. Just give me back my video camera, and nobody gets hurt.

PMEmail Poster                
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]