Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Room To Roam-The Waterboys (re-release), Listener Album Review
j Padraig moore 
Posted: 15-Jan-2009, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Room to Roam was originally issued in 1990. Yesterday I purchased the 2008 re-release, which is a two-disc collectors set.
Disc one is the original album; disc two is a collection of alternate cuts, live shows and new tracks. The band includes Mike Scott as the driving force behind the Waterboys; Anthony Thistlewaite, Steve Wickham, Trevor Hutchinson, Colin Blakely and Noel Bridgeman. Squeezebox virtuoso Sharon Shannon is featured on many tracks.
My favorites from disc one include In Search of a Rose, Natural Bridge Blues and The Star of the Sea. The best tracks are probably the rousing Raggle Taggle Gypsy and Further up, Further In.
Disc two has really nice cuts and in some ways, is better than disc one. It has more of a trad feel to it. I really like My Morag, Sunny Sailor Boy and again, a live version of Raggle Taggle Gypsy. Sharon Shannon does a solo on A Strathspey in the Rain at Dawn.
If there is one complaint about this 2-CD set is that many of the songs are too short. Each CD has 17 tracks for 34 total. Of the 34, there are 10 that are two minutes in length or less: with a few less than one minute.
Overall, this was a great purchase and I am thrilled to add to my Waterboys collection!

thumbs_up.gif
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]