Bookmark and Share
Ross 
Posted: 19-Oct-2008, 05:05 PM
Quote Post

Servant

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Hello,

Iím a certified Equine Sports Massage Therapist and Reiki Master practicing in Southern New England. I thought Iíd run a post here to see if we have any equestrians and horse-lovers. No biz promo, just a spot to talk and think about those big (or not so big) critters that warm our hearts and give us so much enjoyment.

If you ride, own, do neither or wish you could do both, pull up a hay bale and letís talk horse.
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 19-Oct-2008, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Horses are such characters. If you have never seen laughter on a horse's face, just plow into the dirt and look back.

Think of the broad spectrum that horses participate in. From physical therapy for the handicap to grueling cross country races.

Ross, how did you come to be a Reiki Master? You must have seen the pure heart of many horses overcoming fear or an injury. Care to share some of your "patients" with us?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 19-Oct-2008, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

I don't ride or own a horse, but I've always wished I could someday. I'm very interested in the kinds of therapies that can be done for horses -- especially when they've been stressed by our human uses for them. What's a typical thing you'd see that needs massage therapy?
PMEmail Poster               
Ross 
Posted: 20-Oct-2008, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacReed

Horses are such characters. If you have never seen laughter on a horse's face, just plow into the dirt and look back.

Flora, Iíve had that Ďlooking backí experience more than I care to think about. I have to say though, Iíve seen what looked like sincere apologies from a choice few.

Think of the broad spectrum that horses participate in. From physical therapy for the handicap to grueling cross country races.

Your right, we use horses for a wide range of activities. The down side is that most of them are high-paced and high-pressure. Even the 4-H show pony can suffer from training backlash and be in need of some down-time and a head to hoof massage. Itís the other side of the coin that I find most heart-wrenchingÖ. the horse that suffers neglect, physical and psychological deterioration. A one-hour work up doesnít buy much for those horses, but they love the attention. I have a couple of long-winded stories about some exceptional come-backs.

Ross, how did you come to be a Reiki Master?

Iíve found that Reiki can help me as well as the horse. Horses are very perceptive animals. They have a kind of radar that picks up on the emotional and psychological projections of people and animals around them. Iíve learned that I can better relate my intent to the horse, evaluate its state and reduce its anxiety if Reiki is part of my approach. Iím also better able to manage my own energy level throughout the massage session.

What's a typical thing you'd see that needs massage therapy?

While massage can be a valuable therapy contributing to physical recuperation from an injury, itís used more for relieving the aches, pains and anxiety from exercise fatigue or (the other side of the coin) inactivity.
So, the typical thing that needs massage is the whole horse. There may be areas that reveal more pain or stiffness than others, but muscle groups seldom work in isolation. There are techniques for locating and assessing local pain and thatís important for gauging the intensity of the massage (not wanting to induce more discomfort while working an area), but in the end, the best results come from working all areas thoroughly.

Horses are stoic and tend to hide pain, but once you learn how to ask and interpret the answer, the conversation can become very interesting.
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 20-Oct-2008, 05:52 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Thank you for taking the time to explain your profession. Who uses your profession more? So many activities put pressure on horses' legs. Do you get more calls from jumpers or racehorses? Or do you treat more psychological stress? How long do you ususally treat a patient?

I would love to hear of some of your come back stories, but only if you wanted to share.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the feeling you would rather discuss forgery. Which is perfectly understandable. The stress that comes from your work should not bring you down on your off time. We would love to hear about this also.

Just this last weekend I traveled to a craft fair with the purpose of seeing a particular blacksmith's items. Unfortunately he was not there. Empty space in his usual spot, so I think he intended to be there. Hope all is well.

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 22-Oct-2008, 09:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Ross,

Since you have experience with horses, let me ask you a question. Can a horse be trained to attack in a battle (destriers)? I have often wondered about the specific intelligence that would be needed for this.

I know the Lipizaners were trained manovers at a certain signal, but I have never know a horse to attack in battle. Their first instinct would be to run.

What are your thoughts?

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

Celtic RadioTM broadcasts through Live365.com and StreamLicensing.com which are officially licensed under SoundExchange, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC and SOCAN.
©2014 Celtic Radio Network, Highlander Radio, Celtic Moon, Celtic Dance, Ye O' Celtic Pub and Celt-Rock-Radio.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.
Celtic Graphics ©2014, Cari Buziak

Link to CelticRadio.net!
Link to CelticRadio.net
View Broadcast Status and Statistics!

Best Viewed With IE 8.0 (1680 x 1050 Resolution), Javascript & Cookies Enabled.

[Home] [Top]

Celtic Hearts Gallery | Celtic Mates Dating | My Celtic Friends | Celtic Music Radio | Family Heraldry | Medival Kingdom | Top Celtic Sites | Web Celt Blog | Video Celt