Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> The Holiday Season Upon Us, Can we celebrate as we want?
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 06-Nov-2006, 11:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

I think this about sums it up for me...

"Nephew!'' returned the uncle, sternly, "keep Christmas in your own way, and let me keep it in mine.''

"Keep it!'' repeated Scrooge's nephew. "But you don't keep it.''

"Let me leave it alone, then,'' said Scrooge. ``Much good may it do you! Much good it has ever done you!''

"There are many things from which I might have derived good, by which I have not profited, I dare say,'' returned the nephew: "Christmas among the rest. But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round -- apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging to it can be apart from that -- as a good time: a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time: the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures bound on other journeys. And therefore, uncle, though it has never put a scrap of gold or silver in my pocket, I believe that it has done me good, and will do me good; and I say, God bless it!''

A Christmas Carol- C. Dickens

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Nov-2006, 12:21 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

I would whole heartedly agree that people are not tolerant to anyone's beliefs anymore. What happened and why? This has all gotten so dang ridiculous.

well here is the history of Christmas, according to Wikipedia (not always a reliable source, but does help).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#Ori...igin_of_holiday

Merry Christmas!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
LORD RHYS 
Posted: 09-Nov-2006, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: NEW PORT RICHEY FL

male

QUOTE (marti64 @ 29-Oct-2006, 04:25 PM)
People are not tolerant fo anyone else's beliefs anymore!!

If someone says Merry Xmas to me, I wish them the same. Agreeing with aklassie, i, too sued to work in a store, and we wer told that we could not say Merry xmas, we had to say happy Holidays!!
I still wore my"jesus is the reason for the season" button, even though we were not supposed to!!!
No one made em take it off!!!!!
Marti

I need to get my wife that button biggrin.gif She has an I Love Jesus Button she wears at WalMart as a cashier and she wont say Happy Holidays she says MERRY CHRISTMAS biggrin.gif So far only some customers give her a hard time!

--------------------
"True conformity to the dictates of nature requires reverence for the past and solicitude for the future. 'Nature' is not simply the sensation of the passing moment; it is eternal, though we evanescent men experience only a fragment of it. We have no right to imperil the happiness of posterity by impudently tinkering with the heritage of humanity."

"Every right is married to a duty, every freedom owns a corresponding responsibility. There cannot be genuine freedom unless there exists also genuine order in the moral realm and in the social realm."
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 13-Nov-2006, 10:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Texas

female

Roberto, I loved the quote from Dickens. That pretty much sums up what Christmas is all about. I love Christmas. When my children were little, I made a birthday cake for Jesus so they would understand what the day meant. I never talked about santa to them. My biggest fear was if they thought I lied about would they think I lied about who Jesus was. Oh, they knew about santa was but not from me. Now my daughters do the same for their little ones.

--------------------
"They That Wait Upon The LORD,
Shall Renew Their Strength,
They Shall Mount Up With Wings
As Eagels,
They Shall Run,
And Not Be Werry;
They Shall Walk,
And Not Faint." ISAIAH 40:31
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 13-Nov-2006, 10:42 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Have you ever look in to the real story of Santa/ St. Nicholas. He was actually a fourth century Bishop from Myra (Turkey). It is said that he was present at the first church council which brought about the Apostle creed and the begining of the formation of the Bible. Some of our practices today copme from his actions. The idea of the stockings over the fireplace came about because there was a family which had three girls. Their father could not afford a dowery for them. Nicholas heard about this and during the night put the money into their stockings which they had hung by the window to dry. He was later caught and confessed but his deed brought about a tradition that continues to this day. There are alot of great facts behind the myth. I've seen several books and DVD's which tell the story of Nicholas. My kids watched "Nicholas The Boy Who became Santa" for years. My own personl favorite symbol is the Santa kneeling before the manger bed of Jesus. I guess hat I am trying to say is that the story of santa is a Christian story and we really should not discount all of it.
PMEmail Poster               
aklassie 
Posted: 15-Nov-2006, 09:36 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

female

I'm not saying you shouldn't tell your children about santa. It was something I chose not to do. The problem now a days is Christ has been taken out of Christmas. Look how Christmas trees and such are now on sale and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!! It's all in how much money we can spend and how far we can be in debt for the next year. It's crazy. wacko.gif
CelticRoz 
Posted: 15-Nov-2006, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

what I have a problem with is that some folks here in America refuse to not have Christmas trees at all. Well that is all fine and good, but yet everyone wants to participate in the gift exchange. Sorry to be so blunt.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 15-Nov-2006, 09:33 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

QUOTE (aklassie @ 15-Nov-2006, 10:36 AM)
I'm not saying you shouldn't tell your children about santa. It was something I chose not to do. The problem now a days is Christ has been taken out of Christmas. Look how Christmas trees and such are now on sale and it's not even Thanksgiving yet!! It's all in how much money we can spend and how far we can be in debt for the next year. It's crazy. wacko.gif

With the overabundance of Santa imagry I can see why you chose not to mention it. I agree the shopping thing is way out of hand. Our local Mart only carries one or two things that have to do specifically with Jesus. Lots of Santa films and not one with any of the facts. And its not the only holiday. Last Easter I checked out three aisles of Easter stuff to only find that a chocolate cross was really the only reference to Jesus. The rest was all Easter eggs and bunny rabbits. I know that at one time these were used as symbols of the resurrection by Christians but I think that symbolism has long since been lost. Time for some new stuff. I myself, don't decorate or even start celebrating Christmas untill the first week of Dec. And speaking of Christmas did you hear about the Nativity film coming out this year?
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 15-Nov-2006, 09:47 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Nativity movie? I am not familiar with that! Please do tell!
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 16-Nov-2006, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Here is the link. Enjoy
http://www.thenativitystory.com/
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 16-Nov-2006, 11:04 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hey Roberto! I saw the ad on TV tonight for movie, The Nativity Story. Looks really good! Thanks! smile.gif
aklassie 
Posted: 17-Nov-2006, 10:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

female

My daughter and I can't waite to see it. It looks good.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]