Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

Hey everyone,
So I got an email from my advisor today and he wants me to hand in my thesis statement by Thursday. I'm in Indiana and school is in Ohio. It's a lot of info right away and I only have a couple of days to work it all out. I am going to making a music video for a movie I am writing write now. The story of the movie is based on a song and the video is going to consist of that song, a singer, and clips from my movie.
I need to research movies and music videos, etc. i need to find ways to explaion why I want to do a music video and whether or not videos enhance music or movies. Does anyone know of any good website where I can do my research on this subject? It would be awesome to have some help! Thanks!

--------------------
There's a dear little plant that grows in our Isle
Twas St . Patrick himself, sure, that set it;
And the sun of his labour with pleasure did smile,
And with dew from his eye often wet it.
It grows through the bog, through the brake, through the
Mireland, and they call it the dear little shamrock of Ireland.
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Annham 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 09:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHazel

female

I wish I could help... I would just start with Ask Jeeves and begin putting some of your questions there and see what you can come up with...
Do you already have any answers to why you want to do a music video?
And do you already have any opinion on whether a video enhances music or movies?
You may be able to do an opinion poll here to get opinions and ideas about the second question.. or some ideas for pros and cons if you could use that.
Good Luck,
Anne
(P.S. I think we need a four leaf clover emocation; if we had one I would send you one here.)

--------------------
“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

~ Dalai Lama
21st century spiritual and political leader of Tibet and Nobel Peace Prize winner (1989)
PMEmail Poster               
scotelass 
Posted: 13-Sep-2004, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member

ZodiacOak

female

hey have you ever seen the movie The Mirror has Two Faces with Barbara Striesand and Jeff Bridges? Well in the movie she is an English professor and she makes a statement about how music in the movies effects us on an emotional level without us even knowing it! Just a thought, you may want to rent the movie and see if it gives you any ideas. if not its just a really good movie! biggrin.gif (if you have time, of corse)....that's all i can think of, except ASK JEEVES! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
scotelass, clan CUNNINGHAM
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 07:11 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

or Google! IMHO, Music in movies really does help. It's been used for ages to help with the mood of a scene. The Advent of MTV took things the other way around and really let people see a visual along with the music they heard. Does it make the music any better or worse? no. The movie? no. A music video to a song from a movie, done as you describe, can give additional insight into both the movie and the song though. It's somewhere else, where you can say so much more that would have fit elsewhere. The little things, that mean so very much. Show some of the film footage from another angle perhaps, that shows another potential hint that one couldn't see in the movie. Sync an accent or bridge in the song with a turning scene from the movie; to jerk that many more tears.

There are so many things that could be done with that combination, to give so much more insight to the film, and to the song. I could go into a pipe dream with what-if's on what could be done. Can't imagine if I actually had material to work with and go along with it smile.gif

Have fun with it, and good luck!

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
ErikDeckers 
Posted: 14-Sep-2004, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacOak

Realm: Orlando, FL

male

QUOTE (Ceciliastar1 @ 13-Sep-2004, 04:17 PM)
i need to find ways to explaion why I want to do a music video and whether or not videos enhance music or movies. Does anyone know of any good website where I can do my research on this subject? It would be awesome to have some help! Thanks!

Check the psychology journals in your library. If you're not close to a good school library, get to one of the University libraries, or try to access your school's library online. You should be able to get into the ERIC system pretty easily that way.

Especially check the motivation articles. One place to start is the use of laughter and laughtracks to make things funnier. My dad is a psych prof at Ball State University in Muncie, IN, and he focused on the motivation of humor for many years. One of the things he found is that a laughtrack will encourage viewers to find humor to be even funnier than without it. You could use this as some extra support material in your thesis (i.e. "In the same vein as using a laughtrack to make humor funnier (Deckers, 1988), music adds an emotional impact to movies and television programs. Etc. etc.")

In the same vein, certain types of music will have the same effect. My thought is that if someone did it about humor, then it's almost certain that a lot more people will have researched music and movies.

You could also check the Pop Culture journals (I think it's called Contemporary American History in academic terms) for this.

Erik Deckers

--------------------
[color=blue][b]Erik Deckers
Visit my weekly humor blog
Laughing Stalk[COLOR=blue]
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.
single speed 
Posted: 15-Sep-2004, 08:00 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: San Antonio, Tx

male

QUOTE (deckers @ 14-Sep-2004, 10:48 AM)
Check the psychology journals in your library. If you're not close to a good school library, get to one of the University libraries, or try to access your school's library online. You should be able to get into the ERIC system pretty easily that way.

Especially check the motivation articles. One place to start is the use of laughter and laughtracks to make things funnier. My dad is a psych prof at Ball State University in Muncie, IN, and he focused on the motivation of humor for many years. One of the things he found is that a laughtrack will encourage viewers to find humor to be even funnier than without it. You could use this as some extra support material in your thesis (i.e. "In the same vein as using a laughtrack to make humor funnier (Deckers, 1988), music adds an emotional impact to movies and television programs. Etc. etc.")

In the same vein, certain types of music will have the same effect. My thought is that if someone did it about humor, then it's almost certain that a lot more people will have researched music and movies.

You could also check the Pop Culture journals (I think it's called Contemporary American History in academic terms) for this.

Erik Deckers

Having just completed a master's in July, I wish you luck. ERIC or Wilson Web are the best for research. Try the on line perodical indexes as well. Besides your local academic library, a good public library should provide you with a wealth of information as well.

The best thing I can tell you about ypour thesis statement is to start with a general idea of what you want to do, research the topic, then revise until you like the idea, and the research supports the completed project. T

--------------------
If you were accused of being a Christian, would your enemies have enough evidence to convict you?
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him keep pace with the music he hears, however measured or far away.
-Henry David Thoreau

Pray as if everything depended on God, and work as if everything depended upon man.
- Cardinal Francis J. Spellman
PMEmail Poster               
Ceciliastar1 
Posted: 16-Sep-2004, 11:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Ohio.

female

Thanks for your help!! It was awesome and it got me started!!! Thanks everyone!
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]