Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Surnames, Does it really reveal your heritage?
leenie 
Posted: 28-Oct-2007, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

Queen of the Devil Riders
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: Illinois

female

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #35
38,993 Gold!

My maiden name is McPeak. I've been told that they came from the Galloway district in Scotland. Does anyone know anything about that name?
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
gwenlee 
Posted: 29-Oct-2007, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacAlder

female

leenieww-I looked on several site for McPeak and according to one site it is a Northern Irish name, an Anglicized form of Gaelic MacPeice. I hope that helps you some.

Gwenlee
CelticQueenCelticLord 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Los Lunas, NM, USA

female

Desert Rose

I am also from the Walker end of the world. I can trace my Grandfathers side back to about 1850 or so. We also have the surname Orr back then. It is very hard to trace because so many records do get destroyed. My Grandmother had an Irish surname and when her parents moved to Scotland they changed the spelling some so no one knew they were Irish. Sad that that had to happen. Grandda said we are MacGregors but I found out we could also be Stewart of Apin. So how do you find out for sure. Most records I have found say MacGregor and one I found said something about your last names meaning says where you are as to clans. Walker means something about working with cloth, linen which makes sense to me because as far back as I have found so far my Grandfathers ancestors have always work in some way with fabric be it making it or actually having a Clothier like my Great Grandfather did in Hamilton Scotland and they lived in Blantyre.
What puzzels me is how do you really know what clan you come from or belong to when, when you look back at your family you also have names like Duncan, Clark, Murdock etc.
One of these days I will narrow it down...................
And yes, I to live in the US and feel it important to know "who" I am, where I come from etc and I dont mean Buffalo NY where I was born either.

--------------------
When the day shall come, that we do part; if my last words are not 'I love you'--ye'll ken it was because I didna have time. (Fiery Cross Quotes)
Also a Diana Gabaldon, Jamie Frazier lover
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

Problem with your Scottish, Irish, Welsh and English weather you want to admit it or not they are all British for Great Britain rules the land. The rulers at various times forbade the very things that made our cultures different. The wearing of the kilt or playing of the pipes was forbidden. In Ireland the playing of the harp and wearing of the green were outlawed. In all the lands speaking of the Gaelic was forbidden. Yet somehow our various cultures survived dispite the laws of the English rulers.
My grandmother taught me from the time I was small that I am multi-culture and to be proud of all my ancestors and learn of them. I am Scottish, Irish, Welsh and a bit of English. I am German and French and Polish. I am also American Indian. All my family are a part of me and make me who I am. I have the temper and fighting spirit of my Scots-Irish grandfathers. I have been accused by some of being too much Indian. I learn wisdom, cunning, bravery, etc. from all my grandfathers. Stand proud of your heritage and honour your ancestors. Learn of all your family and your ancestors shall stand proud always watching over you.
RebeccaAnn
PMEmail Poster               
RebeccaAnn 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 06:24 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: Southren Illinois

female

Walker - Occupational surname for a fuller, or person who walked on damp raw cloth in order to thicken it. Derived from the Middle English "walkcere," meaning "a fuller of cloth," and derived from the Old English "wealcan," to walk or tread.

Surname Origin: English, Scottish

PMEmail Poster               
CelticQueenCelticLord 
Posted: 06-Feb-2009, 09:59 PM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Los Lunas, NM, USA

female

Thank you so much RebeccaAnn. Hope I spelled it right.
I knew it had something to do with cloth but could not remember exactly what. I will save what you said.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]