Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Christmas Tree, Is your Christmas tree real or fake?
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

female

Well this year mine is fake. We have had this one tree over 20 years still looks fine. Last year we went and supported the church by buying a live one. Hate all the needles.
Oh Christmas is almost here. Then the New Year hope you all are ready. holiday.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Sekhmet 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAlder

Realm: Pittsburgh-ish, Pennsylvania

female

We get a real tree every year. It comes from my mother, actually. My mother has always wanted a real tree, and always one that scraped the ceiling. I remember one year when the money was really tight, and my father went out and got a tree out of his sister's property...it was only maybe six feet tall, and she took one look at it and started to cry. Don't ask me why. So my grandfather, my father and I all devised this tree stand that was this platform upon which the tree could stand and still be balanced. A couple of tree skirts later, and we had a ceiling-scraper. Now that she doesn't get around so well, and Dad isn't much better, they got an artificial with the lights already on. Admittedly, that's convenient, but...eh.

We've got ten foot ceilings in this house, so we get a nine-footer and with the top, there's the ceiling. We had an artificial tree for exactly one year here, and that was also the year we had a litter of kittens in the house. By the time Christmas was over, I had picked those kitties out of the tree and replaced more ornaments than I really want to think about. It was shredded. Back to real ones we go.

My grandmother got one of those fiber-optic trees this year. I just...looked at it and shuddered. Bleh!
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
MDF3530 
  Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

We have a fake tree.

We did have real trees for about five years. Too much work with watering it and picking it up after it fell over to justify having that nice smell. Also, we'd be finding needles from the previous year as we were putting the new one up.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
dfilpus 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 04:15 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Chapel Hill NC

male

Two fake trees inside. I only put up real trees outside, so the needles fall into the yard.

--------------------
Näkemiin

Dave (SCA: Geoffrey Genour of Carney)
Protector of Bits and Bytes, Third cousin once removed to Phil, Prince of Insufficient Light

user posted image

Help out with the site! Win prizes!
Suggest videos at VideoCelt.com

Check out the outstanding video - Merchant Marine by Celtae
ronw1 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 05:59 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: tulsa ok

male

we have a fake one much easier , My wifes oldest son and his new bride bought a real tree thier first year and woke up the next morn with a big surprise..... They had a tree full of baby spiders down came the tree and out the second story window it was so funny when they told it. My wife found some plastic spiders for them to hang in the tree to remind them of thier first Christmas.

Happy holidays to all, may you and your families enjoy good health for the future.

Ron & Cindy Wescott
PMEmail Poster               
Aaediwen 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 06:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Super Moderator
ZodiacHolly

Realm: Kentucky

male

LOL smile.gif too funny on the spiders. We've only had real tree in the house for as many years as I can remember caring. Seems like we used to have an artificial a long time ago but I don't remember exactly. Our biggest problem is getting one streight enough so it'll stand up. Think we've decided not to get one this year. Too much trouble when so few people get to appreciate it.

--------------------
Poet and seeker of knowledge

PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               
dragonboy3611 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 06:29 PM
Quote Post

A Friend to who needs one.
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacBirch

Realm: USA, New York

male

We have one fake and one real. I personnally like the real ones, just becuase of there smell. Of course you can get real Christmas trees that don't smell....but what's the point!? Theres so much more work you would have to do! I would just get a fake one in that case.

The fake one is for my motheres Snowbaby ornaments, it's quite beatiful actually, all crisp and white!

--------------------
"Men at some time are masters of their fate"
Jul Caesar, Act i, Sc.2

"When sorrow comes, they come not single spies, but in battalions"
Hamlet, Act iv, Sc.5

"All that lives must die, passing through nature to eternity"
Hamlet, Act i, Sc.2
PMEmail Poster               
bigjimhainey 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 06:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHawthorn

Realm: South Mississippi

male

Real. definately real. i wouldnt use and artificial one (personal preference) got ours today. not a very good selection. thats what we get for procrastinating. will get the kids and decorate it up good tommorrow after they get out of school.

--------------------
ERIN GO BRAGH

Beware the Celtic Storm

Big Jim Hainey
catlynelizabeth 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 07:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Boston

female

In my memory my family has always had a real tree. One year my parents even bought a live one that could be planted after Christmas. I think its a combination of the smell and tradition that we get a real tree every year.

--------------------
To watch us irish dance is to hear our hearts speak!
Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast.
Douglas Adams
A woman is like a tea bag- you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.
Eleanor Roosevelt
PMEmail Poster               
Dreamer1 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 07:36 PM
Quote Post

Mistress of the Hearth Fires, Dreamer of the Woods
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacRowan

Realm: New England

female

Definitely a live tree for us, too!! We've always had live trees, even with the needles and the watering. There's nothing like the wonderful smell, and the presence of a living tree with us during the Holidays. We just couldn't think of using an artificial tree.

We have cathedral ceilings here, too, so our trees are always upwards of 9 feet. The first year we moved into this house, my hubby told me I could finally have my tall tree (!), and we brought home a wonderful 10-fter. Managed to get it into the stand and upright, only to have it crush the stand immediately! That stand was flat! We had a good laugh once the shock wore off, then called the tree folks and explained what had happened. They laughed, and brought over a new, sturdier stand made for the "big-uns". I love my tall trees! (I'm also the one who decorates them every year, on a ladder, but I wouldn't change it for the world.)

Dreamer1

--------------------
Look with the eyes of a child.

'Hope guides me. It is what gets me through the day, and especially the night.' -- A Knight's Tale
"I talk to you as I talk to my own soul...and, Sassenach,” he whispered, “your face is my heart.” -- Jamie Fraser, "Dragonfly In Amber" by Diana Gabaldon
user posted image
@Dremnghrt on Twitter, Dreamnghrt on tumblr - come say Hi!
PMEmail Poster               View my Twitter Profile.View my YouTube Profile.
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 08:01 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (ronw1 @ 12-Dec-2004, 04:59 PM)
we have a fake one  much easier , My wifes oldest son and his new bride bought a real tree thier first year and woke up the next morn with a big surprise..... They had a tree full of baby spiders down came the tree and out the second story window it was so funny when they told it.  My wife found some plastic spiders for them to hang in the tree to remind them of thier first Christmas.

Happy holidays to all, may you and your families  enjoy good health for the future.

Ron & Cindy Wescott

ronw1 Oh my gosh, that is a nightmare for me as spiders are my worst fear. I was bitten by one they think it was a hobo spider anyhow darn near lost my leg. Your is a story I won't forget.
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 08:04 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

QUOTE (dfilpus @ 12-Dec-2004, 03:15 PM)
Two fake trees inside. I only put up real trees outside, so the needles fall into the yard.

dfilpus, two trees wow, any special reason for this? Is one flocked and one not? Just a guess or you really like Christmas. Its almost here 13 days... smile.gif

Dragonboy, you have the best of both worlds there.

I totally agree with the rest of you. There is nothing like a live tree the smell is fantastic although I will say we got one this past year and it didn't smell. I agree what the heck is the point of that. Poor tree. I love the idea of a replantable that is a great idea catlynelizabeth
PMEmail Poster               
Richard Bercot 
Posted: 12-Dec-2004, 11:31 PM
Quote Post

House of Hardy
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacAsh

male

I have to admit the we have a Real Fake tree. wink.gif

Too many Allergies. sad.gif

--------------------
May your days be filled with Merriment and May you walk in Balance with Creator.

"For every day you fish, you live another day"
PMEmail Poster                
HeatherMarie 
Posted: 13-Dec-2004, 01:06 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

Realm: Grand Rapids, MI

female

Ours is fake. It's pretty and easy to put up (just leave the lights, garland and ribbon on and carry it downstairs after Christmas), but I'd still rather have a real one. Unfortunately, that decision isn't mine to make.

It just doesn't make much sense to me to have a fake tree when the whole tradition of bringing a tree into the house is to bring life into one's home in the midst of winter. Granted, the very act causes death (of the tree at least), but I'm sure our ancient ancestors had their hearts in the right places. In any case, they didn't put up a painting or a sculpture or a recreation of a tree, it had to be an actual tree.

Not to disrespect anyone who prefers plastic to paper (well, wood) - to each their own, I say. I just look at the fake trees and fake videos of fire and fake spray-on hair, and it reminds me of our convenience-oriented society. "If it looks good enough, use it." We're more concerned with saving time than honouring our traditions.

Yeah, that's right. Give me Diet Coke and a computer with an internet connection at 2 in the morning and I WILL bring down your mood! Heh...sorry about that... sad.gif unsure.gif Um...carols, anyone? note.gif Oh, Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree...uh...lalalalala something.... note.gif

--------------------
"Please your Majesty," said the Knave, "I didn't write it, and they can't prove I did: there's no name signed at the end."

"If you didn't sign it," said the King, "that only makes the matter worse. You must have meant some mischief, or else you'd have signed your name like an honest man."

-Alice in Wonderland
PMEmail Poster                
gaberlunzie 
Posted: 13-Dec-2004, 08:41 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

female

QUOTE (Richard Bercot @ 13-Dec-2004, 12:31 AM)
I have to admit the we have a Real Fake tree. wink.gif

Too many Allergies. sad.gif

sad.gif Well, I guess, you don't have any other choice then!

In our family we always had real, life trees; big ones, small ones but always life ones. I don't mind the watering thing and the needles either. It just belongs to it as the smell and the look.
The tree is a symbol of life in our tradition and so we also do not overly decorate it. We still use pine cones and nuts my children have colored in red, silver and gold when they still were young amongst the other decoration. The beauty of it is the tree itself anf the lights, and so we only put as much decoration on it as the natural beauty of the tree isn't "covered".

This year we will have a potted one which we will plant in the garden next year.

--------------------
"Now here's my secret", said the fox, "it is very simple. It is only with ones heart that one can see clearly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."

("The Little Prince" by Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

"The soul would have no rainbow, if the eye had no tears."
(Native American Proverb)
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]