Posted: 21-Mar-2010, 08:43 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacReed

Realm: Washington State

male

Hi folks. I am at my wit's end. I have a mouse in my house which I wouldn't mind except for the droppings everywhere but I can't seem to trap the critter using humane methods. I no longer have a cat so I bought one of these traps based on the rave reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Smart-Mouse-Trap-Hum...69225420&sr=8-1 but it doesn't work. All I am doing is feeding the mouse many meals of peanut butter.

I know I could use a spring trap or poison but I don't really want to kill the little critter. All I want to do is to trap him and release him far from my house. Does anyone know of a good humane trap that actually works?

PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Merle;

If you want my advice get a cat. Not a store bought one but one from a farm. New cat no Mouse.

Camac

MacDonnchaidh 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 10:23 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: Stoughton, MA

male

Leave out a can of cooking grease, he won't live but he'll die happy. At least that's how one of our mice bought it, the other were either taken out by the snap traps, hawks, or our machetes. (I had three older brothers and were quite avid about 'domestic hunting' smile.gif )

--------------------
Glory is the Reward of Valour ~ Robertson Motto

For Faith, For Service to Humanity ~ Knights Hospitaller Motto

Am fear is tiuighe clairgeann se ‘s lugha eanchainn.
He who has the thickest skull has the smallest brain.
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

Oh, dear. I don't know of too many alternatives that include leaving the critter alive . . . I understand that they really hate the smell of pennyroyal, which is a common member of the mint family. Perhaps strewing some dried herb around the places where you observe their scat would help. And keeping insanely free of crumbs and grease, and all food in containers they can't chew through, for a while. And of course you have to find and stop all the holes with a mix of plaster and shredded steel wool, which they would rather die than chew on.

Cats and dogs hate the smell of pure orange oil -- maybe mice too. In any case it's a pleasant smell for humans, so it could not hurt to try.

Cat's the best idea, or a small terrier if you'd like a dog. A little peanut butter and D-Con sandwich is effective, but not humane.

I was humane -- I used to get them on glue traps, then I would warm the water first before I drowned them, trap and all. It is very quick. smile.gif
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

The glue traps work well. If you want to release him or her after capture, spray the mouse with cooking spray. This helps to loosen him/her and you can work them loose with a wooden pencil. Please be careful as they do carry diseases and destroy all material and wash thoroughly. Yes, I have done this several time. What's that old story about saving the mouse and the lion was rewarded? biggrin.gif

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (flora @ 22-Mar-2010, 03:58 PM)
The glue traps work well. If you want to release him or her after capture, spray the mouse with cooking spray. This helps to loosen him/her and you can work them loose with a wooden pencil. Please be careful as they do carry diseases and destroy all material and wash thoroughly. Yes, I have done this several time. What's that old story about saving the mouse and the lion was rewarded? biggrin.gif

Flora

That's nice. smile.gif I never tried to get them off the traps -- I was always afraid they were stuck so firmly that I would only tear them apart trying to get them off the glue. I think maybe heavy work gloves would be good while doing this.
PMEmail Poster               
Dogshirt 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 06:32 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacElder

Realm: Washington THE State

male

Otto is VERY good at ridding the house of mice. But there isn't much left to release! I guess I never considered that an option.

beer_mug.gif

--------------------
Hoka Hey!
The more Liberals I meet, the more I like my dogs!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
merle 
Posted: 22-Mar-2010, 08:12 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

Thanks to all who answered. I know the best solution for mice is a cat and I wish I could have one but I can't right now. I have spent all of my adult life with cats, until now, and let me tell you that no mouse or any other living creature would stand a chance with those mighty hunters.

I am feeding my mouse, or mice, a big meal tonight of Fritos and peanut butter inside of the trap that doesn't work. As much as I hate to kill another creature my back is against the wall so the only thing on the menu starting tomorrow is d-Con.
PMEmail Poster               
merle 
Posted: 23-Mar-2010, 07:56 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

There is a happy ending to this story sort of. I decided to give the mice one last chance to surrender before I put the poison out and I have caught and released 4 of then unharmed in the past 2 hours! Ahem, I wasn't baiting it correctly it seems but the instructions are so small I had to get someone else to read them to me. I only hope that I didn't catch the same mouse 4 times sad.gif
PMEmail Poster               
Rindy 
Posted: 23-Mar-2010, 10:29 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacBirch

female

merle I hope you didn't catch the same mouse 4 times either.

I love mice so very much but just they are dirty, diseased and the hantivirus really 's bad. You know when there's one theres 50 I use decon and it the most humane way to do it. Lots of friends use the spring trap with the cheese Well then it went to pbutter which seamed to catch more.

You could try leaving the door open for him if he finds nothing to eat he may leave. lol

Wish you could get a photo cause I love mice, shall be waiting to hear the adventures of the mouse in the house. Had one get in the dryer fan one time and that was a mess, then I had one that tore the stuffing out of the patio furniture. Let us know.

Have a great day! Slainte
PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 24-Mar-2010, 01:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

QUOTE (merle @ 23-Mar-2010, 08:56 PM)
Ahem, I wasn't baiting it correctly it seems but the instructions are so small I had to get someone else to read them to me. I only hope that I didn't catch the same mouse 4 times sad.gif

laugh.gif
Yeah, I did that once. It was a mouse that was coming up through my gas stove, so I turned on the burners once when I saw him on the counter, to head him off. To my horror, he dived straight through the flames and down into the stove. Like Eval Knieval, or maybe Mousie Knousie. Then I knew him by his frazzled whiskers every time I saw him after that. Cornered him a few times, but he always got away, until the last time (glue trap under the stove burner).
PMEmail Poster               
Camac
Posted: 24-Mar-2010, 01:28 PM
Quote Post

Main: Registration
Questions: Help
Important: Rules

Zodiac

Hey Guys;

Remind me not to come back as a Mouse in the next life rolleyes.gif laugh.gif

Camac

stoirmeil 
Posted: 24-Mar-2010, 07:48 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Let Burns say his piece about it now:

TO A MOUSE
On turning her up in her nest with the plough, November 1785.

Wee, sleekit, cowrin, tim'rous beastie,
O, what a panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty
Wi bickering brattle!
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee,
Wi' murdering pattle.

I'm truly sorry man's dominion
Has broken Nature's social union,
An' justifies that ill opinion
Which makes thee startle
At me, thy poor, earth born companion
An' fellow mortal!

I doubt na, whyles, but thou may thieve;
What then? poor beastie, thou maun live!
A daimen icker in a thrave
'S a sma' request;
I'll get a blessin wi' the lave,
An' never miss't.

Thy wee-bit housie, too, in ruin!
It's silly wa's the win's are strewin!
An' naething, now, to big a new ane,
O' foggage green!
An' bleak December's win's ensuin,
Baith snell an' keen!

Thou saw the fields laid bare an' waste,
An' weary winter comin fast,
An' cozie here, beneath the blast,
Thou thought to dwell,
Till crash! the cruel coulter past
Out thro' thy cell.

That wee bit heap o' leaves an' stibble,
Has cost thee monie a weary nibble!
Now thou's turned out, for a' thy trouble,
But house or hald,
To thole the winter's sleety dribble,
An' cranreuch cauld.

But Mousie, thou art no thy lane,
In proving foresight may be vain:
The best laid schemes o' mice an' men
Gang aft agley,
An' lea'e us nought but grief an' pain,
For promis'd joy!

Still thou are blest, compared wi' me!
The present only toucheth thee:
But och! I backward cast my e'e,
On prospects drear!
An' forward, tho' I canna see,
I guess an' fear!
PMEmail Poster               
merle 
Posted: 24-Mar-2010, 08:45 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

male

It has been about 24 hours now with no new mouse attacks so I think I got 'em whipped by god. My neighbors are now most likely left to deal with them. My next challenge is the raccoon living under my house but I guess I will just let him be for now as he or she doesn't seem to be harmful except for surprising me when I go out after dark. I used to have a cat or two that would have taken him out but that is another story as are my killer cats of the past.

Has anyone ever had a cat that killed rattlesnakes?
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 25-Mar-2010, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Thanks for sharing Stormeil. I hadn't run across that from Mr. Burns.

I agree with Camac about cats. We have had many in our various families. My sister-in-law once had a purebred Persian that just sat around all day doing absolutely nothing but our best ones (greatest personalities) were the wild ones that adopted us. I never saw any attack a rattlesnake but the snake population was definitely down when we had them. We did have a bobcat in the area last summer does that count? tongue.gif

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]