Posted: 18-Jan-2009, 01:00 AM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Milesia

male

The changing Doctor has been one of the keys to the success of the programme, which has set a world record for maximum number of episodes. I actually quite liked Christopher Eccleston, though he may have been a bit muscular for the normally pretty cerebral Doctor. Thought he was given short shrift, but I love the energy David Tennant brings to the part.

For those who haven't followed the story since its beginning in 1963, the writers neatly solved the problem of actors not living forever by adding regeneration to his character. If he is injured too severely to survive, he regenerates into a new body with new personality and everything, but retains all the memories and experience he has gained.

His basic mission in life is as some sort of temporal policeman, thwarting attempts by evil aliens to manipulate history or take advantage of the innocent through time travel and/or superior technology. Though he roams galaxy-wide, he seems to have a special place in his (two) hearts for earth and its people and is normally found in the company of a human companion, most often, but not exclusively, female.

Speaking of which, no offense to Donna Noble, but rumours that Rose Tyler is returning give me great hope and satisfaction. Doctors come and go, but Rose was by far one of the best companions he's ever had.

--------------------
I am a stag: of seven tines,
I am a flood: across a plain,
I am a wind: on a deep lake,
I am a tear: the Sun lets fall,
I am a hawk: above the cliff,
I am a thorn: beneath the nail,
I am a wonder: among flowers,
I am a wizard: who but I
Sets the cool head aflame with smoke?

I am a spear: that roars for blood,
I am a salmon: in a pool,
I am a lure: from paradise,
I am a hill: where poets walk,
I am a boar: ruthless and red,
I am a breaker: threatening doom,
I am a tide: that drags to death,
I am an infant: who but I
Peeps from the unhewn dolmen, arch?

I am the womb: of every holt,
I am the blaze: on every hill,
I am the queen: of every hive,
I am the shield: for every head,
I am the tomb: of every hope.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
delainesunshine1978 
Posted: 20-Jan-2009, 01:44 AM
Quote Post

Chieftain of the Clan

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacReed

Realm: Lake Stevens Wa

female

QUOTE (Amergin @ 18-Jan-2009, 02:00 AM)
The changing Doctor has been one of the keys to the success of the programme, which has set a world record for maximum number of episodes. I actually quite liked Christopher Eccleston, though he may have been a bit muscular for the normally pretty cerebral Doctor. Thought he was given short shrift, but I love the energy David Tennant brings to the part.

For those who haven't followed the story since its beginning in 1963, the writers neatly solved the problem of actors not living forever by adding regeneration to his character. If he is injured too severely to survive, he regenerates into a new body with new personality and everything, but retains all the memories and experience he has gained.

His basic mission in life is as some sort of temporal policeman, thwarting attempts by evil aliens to manipulate history or take advantage of the innocent through time travel and/or superior technology. Though he roams galaxy-wide, he seems to have a special place in his (two) hearts for earth and its people and is normally found in the company of a human companion, most often, but not exclusively, female.

Speaking of which, no offense to Donna Noble, but rumours that Rose Tyler is returning give me great hope and satisfaction. Doctors come and go, but Rose was by far one of the best companions he's ever had.

I was surprised that I ended up liking Donna more! Although I love everytime Rose returns. They are both the best ladies since I started to watch the show a few years ago.

I resist change so every time they switch Doctors I sulk for a bit. Time always works it's magic and I end up liking whoever the Doctor is!!! I will admit the 1960's episodes are hard for me to get into. But I like to try here and there smile.gif

--------------------
Follow this link to Dragon site and click the eggs before they can die please :)

http://dragcave.net/account

user posted image
PMEmail Poster               
Amergin 
Posted: 23-Mar-2009, 08:42 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Harlot @ 16-Nov-2008, 04:14 PM)
Love,Love the show. But I don't want a new Doctor! I can't see anything wrong with the one who is the Doctor. LOVE The Doctor

There's always a new Doctor. It's part of the sadness and part of the attraction of Doctor Who. Some of us have loved many Doctors over the years. But we always had to say goodbye.

Wikipedia article on Doctor Who
LibraryJim 
Posted: 17-Apr-2009, 09:22 PM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacVine

male

QUOTE (Robert Phoenix @ 06-Jan-2009, 12:06 AM)
New Doctor!!!

Matt Smith has been cast in the role of the Doctor in the iconic BBC series Doctor Who.
Smith will be the 11th Time Lord and will take over from David Tennant who leaves at the end of 2009.
He will be seen in the forthcoming fifth series that will be broadcast in 2010.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zog-6SrGxE0...feature=related

On a personal note he kind of reminds me of a young David Bowie

I can just see the Doctor's reaction to his new 'self' when he looks into his mirror:

"What? No! Too young! How did that happen? No one is going to take me seriously! I like my younger look, but come on!"

biggrin.gif

One poster on another forum suggested that the doctor (David Tennent) should be pushed into an open elevator (Lift, for those of you in England) shaft into the car several floors below, and when the door opens, out steps the new Doctor (Matt Smith), looking slightly befuddled.

As to the number of lives, the Master was granted extensions by the Time Lords on at least two occasions, so I imagine the 12 regenerations (13 lives) is an arbitrary number that no longer applies since Gallifrey is gone.
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 19-Apr-2009, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

The doctor usually dies doing something noble although it would be funny if he had to regenerate because he did something like dropped a toaster into his bath water.
Did anybody see The Curse of Fatal Death with Rowan Atkitson and Hugh Grant (amoung others) as the Doctor. Now there were some funny regenerations.

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 30-Apr-2009, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Something cool for all you Whovian techies out there
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KRja415Iwk...player_embedded
PMEmail Poster               
Amergin 
Posted: 02-May-2009, 07:33 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Robert Phoenix @ 19-Apr-2009, 04:53 PM)
Did anybody see The Curse of Fatal Death with Rowan Atkitson and Hugh Grant (amoung others) as the Doctor. Now there were some funny regenerations.

That was definitely hilarious. I especially liked the incarnation of Joanna Lumley, who as far as I know was the only female Doctor.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 03-Jan-2010, 08:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

The episodes "Waters of Mars" and Part 1 of "End of Time" is up on youtube. Part 2 with the Doctors regeneration isn't there yet although there are snippets of it here and there. Waters was a good episode but End of Time had a few twist I didn't expect especially at the end. hint: Timothy Dalton. Wow!!s
PMEmail Poster               
ElspethII 
Posted: 04-Feb-2011, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacReed

female

I just can't get into the new Doctor...... I don't think I will ever get over David Tennet. Or maybe I'm just too old to accept someone as young as Matt Smith. sad.gif

Though, I did enjoy the Christmas special more than any from the season. Could it be he is growing on me?

But, I keep hoping David Tennent will come back........
PMEmail Poster               
Gilliechattan 
Posted: 09-Feb-2011, 11:24 AM
Quote Post

Peasant

ZodiacElder

Realm: Rhode Island

male

David Tennet was no doubt a tough act to follow, personally I thought thecompanion role of Amy was more interesting than Matt Smith's portrayal of the Doctor.

At times it just seemed to frenetic, although, I agree with Elspeth about the Christmas Show.

PMEmail Poster               
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 13-Feb-2011, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I only see the episodes on youtube now as BBCAmerica is one of those channels you have to pay extra for here. CNBC is still running the Tennant episodes so its really frustrating. I did manage to see the Chrsitmas episode and a little bit past his regeneration on youtube which I thought was pretty funny. Some days I feel like throwing food out the front door and telling it to never come back.
Hopefully now that Tennet's reign is over the blue ray's will come down in price. Still trying to save up for the 11 doctors action figure assortment and the sonic screwdriver.
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
Posted: 01-Mar-2011, 01:44 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Midlothian, IL

male

I just got through watching Series 2 on DVD for the umpteenth time. Will be picking up Series 3 at the library tomorrow. Also on my local PBS station, they just showed the finale of Series 4 (love the return of Davros BTW), so hopefully they show the specials and continue on with Series 5.

P.S. Who or what do you think River Song really is? My possiblities:

1. Omega.
2. The Rani.
3. Romana.
4. Susan Foreman.

--------------------
Mike F.

May the Irish hills caress you.
May her lakes and rivers bless you.
May the luck of the Irish enfold you.
May the blessings of Saint Patrick behold you.

user posted image
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
MDF3530 
Posted: 01-Mar-2011, 03:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

Oh, and for those of you who yearned to see the return of the Brigadier to the revived series, I'm afraid I'm the bearer of bad tidings.

Nicholas Courtney died last week

rip_1.gif Brigadier.

Instead of a 21 gun salute at his funeral, they should've fired five rounds rapid.
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 01-Mar-2011, 08:23 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

Bummer on the Brigader. I would have liked to see him have a guest shot on one of the shows in the new series. I just picked up the Doctor Who magazine. Apparantly Episode 4 of the 2011 series which is written by Neil Gaimen, guest stars Suranne Jones play playing someone who Neil tells us "might just turn out to be an old aqcuuintence with a new face." So Riversong is probaly not the Rani but who could this one be? I'm thinking maybe its the Doctor's daughter or the one other female timelord that traveled with Tom Baker. They actuallywere dating and I believe they got married in real life but I can't recall her real name or her show name right now.
PMEmail Poster               
MDF3530 
Posted: 01-Mar-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacWillow

male

QUOTE (Robert Phoenix @ 01-Mar-2011, 09:23 PM)
Bummer on the Brigader. I would have liked to see him have a guest shot on one of the shows in the new series. I just picked up the Doctor Who magazine. Apparantly Episode 4 of the 2011 series which is written by Neil Gaimen, guest stars Suranne Jones play playing someone who Neil tells us "might just turn out to be an old aqcuuintence with a new face." So Riversong is probaly not the Rani but who could this one be? I'm thinking maybe its the Doctor's daughter or the one other female timelord that traveled with Tom Baker. They actuallywere dating and I believe they got married in real life but I can't recall her real name or her show name right now.

Georgia Moffett, who played Jenny in "The Doctor's Daughter". A fitting title an episode with her. Her father is Fifth Doctor Peter Davison.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]