Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> "The MATURE People's Thread", Not too young and not over the hill yet!
Amergin 
Posted: 23-Mar-2009, 08:51 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

Group: Founder
ZodiacWillow

Realm: Milesia

male

Quiz.

01 After the Lone Ranger saved the and day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?________________.

02. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. In early 1964, we all watched them on The _______________ Show.

03 'Get your kicks, __________________.'

04. The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to _________________.

05. In the jungle! the mighty jungle, ________________.'

06. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we 'danced' under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the '_____________.'

07. 'N_E_S_T_L_E _S', Nestle's makes the very best _______________.'

08. Satchmo was America's 'Ambassador of Goodwill.' Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was _____ ____________.

09. What takes a licking and keeps on ticking?

10. Red Skelton's hobo character was named ________________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, 'Good Night, and '________ ________'.

11. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their______________.

12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? ____________ & _______________.

13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, "the day the music died." This was a tribute to ___________________.

14. We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called _______.

15. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the __________.

--------------------
I am a stag: of seven tines,
I am a flood: across a plain,
I am a wind: on a deep lake,
I am a tear: the Sun lets fall,
I am a hawk: above the cliff,
I am a thorn: beneath the nail,
I am a wonder: among flowers,
I am a wizard: who but I
Sets the cool head aflame with smoke?

I am a spear: that roars for blood,
I am a salmon: in a pool,
I am a lure: from paradise,
I am a hill: where poets walk,
I am a boar: ruthless and red,
I am a breaker: threatening doom,
I am a tide: that drags to death,
I am an infant: who but I
Peeps from the unhewn dolmen, arch?

I am the womb: of every holt,
I am the blaze: on every hill,
I am the queen: of every hive,
I am the shield: for every head,
I am the tomb: of every hope.
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
Amergin 
Posted: 23-Mar-2009, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Honored Clan Member
Group Icon

ZodiacWillow

Realm: Milesia

male

ANSWERS:

01. The Lone Ranger left behind a silver bullet.
02. The Ed Sullivan Show
03. On Route 66
04. To protect the innocent.
05. The Lion Sleeps Tonight
06. The limbo
07. Chocolate
08. Louis Armstrong
09. The Timex watch
10. Freddy, The Freeloader and "Good Night and God Bless."
11. Draft cards (Bras were also burned. Not flags, as some have guessed)
12. Beetle or Bug
13. Buddy Holly
14. Sputnik
15. Hula-hoop
PMEmail Poster               View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 23-Mar-2009, 09:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacBirch

Realm: North Carolina

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,555 Gold!

That quiz was alright for the young folks. Here's another one. Fewer qustions for an older crowd.

Who was Boston Blackie and what kind of car did he drive?

Red Ryder was a popular fictional cowboy hero who started out in ________ , then moved to radio, then movies and finally to TV. The best known iteration of Ryder was played by Wild Bill Elliot. In this series of movies, Ryder's Navajo friend _____ ______ was played by ______ ______ ______ who started in the show business in the Hal Roach comedy movie series ____ _____. When this series moved to TV, it was called ______ ________ .

When the Soviets closed the road and rail line from West Germany to Berlin, the city was supplied by the ______ ______ .

What were Victory Gardens?

Before the mid fifties, many families avoided crowds in the summer for fear of ______ .

Answers in a couple of days.

--------------------
TheCarolinaScotsman

Ya'll drive safe and come back soon.
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
flora 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Tangerine, Florida

female

Hey, Carolina how many days do you consider a few?

The other day my husband and I took my grandson to see Monsters Vs. Aliens and the Fast and the Furious opened. As we came out of the movies there were kids acting crazy in their cars and my first thought was they should know better. My second thought was "Oh, no I have become one of "them". "Them" being that older generation that rains on your parade. It was just yesterday (yeah right) that I was the kid. Have you had a defining moment yet?

Flora

--------------------
"Nature always wears the colors of the spirit." -
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair.
K. Gibran

In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks.
John Muir

"Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."
John Muir
PMEmail Poster               
Harlot 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

Knew all the answers to Amergin's Quiz ,but yours CS must of been way before my time. Red Ryder is a BB gun, Victory Gardens isn't that a Race Track?

I have been offered a part time job that was only for someone over the age of 55, so nice to be old at 56. Funny I don't feel old!

--------------------
user posted image
Hopes are towers in the skies Dreams are wings taking flight

The Boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best Shadowy and vague. Who shall say where one ends and the other begins

Photobucket

SLAINTE
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Patch 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

QUOTE (Harlot @ 08-Apr-2009, 11:35 AM)
Knew all the answers to Amergin's Quiz ,but yours CS must of been way before my time. Red Ryder is a BB gun, Victory Gardens isn't that a Race Track?

I have been offered a part time job that was only for someone over the age of 55, so nice to be old at 56. Funny I don't feel old!

Good!! Age has some privileges too!!

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 01:13 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Baby's First Doctor Visit

This made me laugh out loud. I hope it will give you a smile!

A woman and a baby were in the doctor's examining room, waiting for the doctor to come in for the baby's first exam.

The doctor arrived, and examined the baby, checked his weight, and being a little concerned, asked if the baby was breast-fed or bottle-fed.

'Breast-fed,' she replied.

'Well, strip down to your waist,' the doctor ordered.

She did. He pinched her nipples, pressed, kneaded, and rubbed both breasts for a while in a very professional and detailed examination.

Motioning to her to get dressed, the doctor said, 'No wonder this baby is underweight. You don't have any milk.'

I know,' she said, 'I'm his Grandma, but I'm glad I came.'

tongue.gif Flora
PMEmail Poster               
flora 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 01:54 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacAsh

female

Comments made in the year 1955!
That's only 53 years ago!

'I'll tell you one thing, if things keep going the way they are, it's going to be impossible to buy a week's groceries for $20.00.

'Have you seen the new cars coming out next year? It won't be long before $2, 000.00 will only buy a used one.

'If cigarettes keep going up in price, I'm going to quit. 25 cents a pack is ridiculous..

'Did you hear the post office is thinking about charging 10 cents just to mail a letter

'If they raise the minimum wage to $1.00, nobody will be able to hire outside help at the store.

'When I first started driving, who would have thought gas would someday cost 29 cents a gallon. Guess we'd be better off leaving the car in the garage.

'I'm afraid to send my kids to the movies any more Ever since they let Clark Gable get by with saying DAMN in GONE WITH THE WIND, it seems every new movie has either HELL or DAMN in it.

'Did you see 'I read the other day where some scientist thinks it's possible to put a man on the moon by the end of the century. They even have some fellows they call astronauts preparing for it down in Texas ..

where some baseball player just signed a contract for $75,000 a year just to play ball? It wouldn't surprise me if someday they'll be making more than the President.

'I never thought I'd see the day all our kitchen appliances would be electric. They are even making electric typewriters now.

'It's too bad things are so tough nowadays. I see where a few married women are having to work to make ends meet.

'It won't be long before young couples are going to have to hire someone to watch their kids so they can both work.

'I'm afraid the Volkswagen car is going to open the door to a whole lot of foreign business.

'Thank goodness I won't live to see the day when the Government takes half our income in taxes. I sometimes wonder if we are electing the best people to government.

'The drive-in restaurant is convenient in nice weather, but I seriously doubt they will ever catch on.

'There is no sense going on short trips anymore for a weekend, it costs nearly $15.00 a night to stay in a hotel.

'No one can afford to be sick anymore, at $35.00 a day in the hospital, it's too rich for my blood.'

'If they think I'll pay 50 cents for a hair cut, forget it.'

Flora
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 04:35 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

I remember carbon paper.

I remember the smell of the mimeograph.

I know why we “dial” a phone number or “turn” it to a certain television channel.

I remember the fading “dot” when you turned off the television.

I used to draw against Matt Dillon in the opening credits of “Gunsmoke,” and won every time (of course, I was just using my finger, while he had a real gun).

I’ve illegally copied music by holding a tape recorder up to an AM radio.

… And that you used to have to push “record” and “play” buttons to get it to record.

I’ve opened a can of Spam with a key (and tuna fish too).

I remember when milk was delivered to your door in pint &quart sized glass bottles.

I’ve opened a bank account with one dollar.

I remember some relatives not having an indoor toilet.

I remember the insurance man coming every few months to collect a weekly premium.

I know there used to be leaded petrol.

You could only get watermelon in the summer.

I remember adjusting roller skates with a skate key.

I remember phone booths.

Crushing beer can took a LOT more effort, because they were made out of tin instead of aluminum.

When you returned empty drinks bottles, they sent them back to the factory to get refilled… and you got your deposit back.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 04:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,555 Gold!

Sorry for the delay. I'm to the age remembering what one is supposed to do is chancy at best. smile.gif In other words, I forgot about it till today.

Who was Boston Blackie and what kind of car did he drive. Boston Blackie was a detective on a radio show that became a TV show. He drove a Jaguar XK120.

Red Ryder was a popular fictional cowboy hero who started out in comic books then moved to radio, then movies and finally to TV. The best known iteration of Ryder was played by Wild Bill Elliot. In this series of movies, Ryder's Navajo friend Little Beaver was played by Little Bobby Blake who started in the show business in the Hal Roach comedy movie series Our Gang. When this series moved to TV, it was called The Little Rascals.

When the Soviets closed the road and rail line from West Germany to Berlin, the city was supplied by the Berlin Airlift.

What were Victory Gardens? During WWII, many food supplies were limited and rationed because the food was shipped over seas for the trrops. People were urged to grow their own food in a Victory Garden to help the war effort.

Before the mid fifties, many families avoided crowds in the summer for fear of polio .
Harlot 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 08:39 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern Michiagn USA

female

CS
I guess I am not a I think because I didn't know any of those. I guess Red Ryder wasn't that B-B gun after all.

Patch

Well this makes me look old I do remember all of those. My grandmother Davis had the outhouse on the farm and my grandmother King had one in town. I can remember when they both got indoor bathrooms.

As for that part time job hope to hear something this week as the lady that I had too talk is on vacation and will be back on Monday.

flora

This was funny and not like that has happened too me,but I have gone to Dr visits with my daughter. I did have fun when I helped my daughter move into her collage dorm. The RA came into the room and introduced himself to us and was telling about the get together that was planned for all new freshman that evening. Said they would have food and drinks and hoped he would see us there. Well my daughter told him that I was her mother and I would be going back home, he told that was too bad but I was more then welcome to come anyway. It was always fun when I went up there to get her for the week-end getting invited to all kinds of parties that she always had to spoil the fun and tell them I was her mother. Some of the kids didn't seem too care said I could come anyway.LOL
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
TheCarolinaScotsman 
Posted: 08-Apr-2009, 10:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

male

Medieval Kingdom
Rank #76
43,555 Gold!

QUOTE (Harlot @ 08-Apr-2009, 10:39 PM)
I guess Red Ryder wasn't that B-B gun after all.

You were close. The BB gun was named after the cowboy.
valpal59 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 09:00 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Texas Panhandle

female

Now I feel old.
My grandparents also had an outhouse. Hated it in the winter.

Val

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

Author Unknown
PMEmail Poster               View my Facebook Profile.View My Space Profile.
karenrah 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 09:49 AM
Quote Post

Servant
Group Icon

ZodiacReed

female

I grew up on the beach (Manhattan Beach) in CA. I remember Mr. Greenjeans on Captain Kangaroo.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 09-Apr-2009, 05:56 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

How about "Pinkey Lee?" That was a kids show on the first TV I saw. (A 6 or 7 inch round screen with a sliding magnifier in front of it.) Also the "Howdy Doody show". That is many years ago! There used to be a Circus show on sundays and the broadcast in our area was about two hours in the evening and 4 or 5 on Sat. and Sun. I think news was a half hour then.

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]