Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> When Did Your Family Emigrate?, And where from?
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Apr-2005, 06:25 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

Sonee! That is very exciting what all you have learned so far and what you are about to embark on! It is always very exciting, isn't it? In my search, I have met cousins that I didn't even know I had and the funny thing is is when I lived in GA, I lived fairly close to them at the time and didn't even know it! Now we email each other and share what we learn. Keep me posted on what more learn!
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Sonee 
Posted: 09-Apr-2005, 08:47 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacAsh

Realm: Nebraska

female

I have actually spoken, through email, with a cousin of mine from Iowa!! We met through a message board on RootWeb!! It appears that his g-grandfather was the brother of my g4-grandfather! thumbs_up.gif

So far he's the only one I've been able to find. But I'm hoping that will change soon!! I will definately keep you posted! No one in my family is interested in any of this! They think it is all boring and tend to go into another room when I start talking about it, so it will be nice to have someone to share it with!!

How long have you been researching?

--------------------
Sonee

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" Edmund Burke

"If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it." ~Toni Morrison
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Apr-2005, 09:11 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Hallo Sonee! I have been doing it for about a year I think. That is where I met all my cousins was on Rootsweb too! I left messages all over that board on what I was looking for and I had several of my cousins write me back! It was really cool as I was able to put them in contact with other cousins as well!

My family think I am crazy cause I am crazy about all things Celtic, especially Scotland. I want to go visit there really bad soon. I play mostly Celtic music, wear mostly Celtic jewelry, attend Highland games and so forth. Even have a full size Saltire flag hung up in my art studio. They all think I have gone mad! biggrin.gif so it is nice to be on here with like-minded folks! smile.gif
Sonee 
Posted: 09-Apr-2005, 09:38 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Nebraska

female

Ha!!! A soul sister!!! How awesome!! I get that same reaction! I want to go to Scotland so bad that my kids now ask daily when we're going!!LOL

I wish I COULD attend Highland games!! Alas, money is too scarce at the present time!! I don't have much in the way of celtic jewelry, yet, but I have my clan badge as my desktop background, I listen to celtic music all the time, I play celtic music on my fiddle all the time!!

Maybe I won't have to worry how to get to AZ without my hubby, I'll probably run him off by turning my house into a celtic haven!! Not to mention what I'm teaching the kids!!

I feel so at home here!! It's great! I have no friends outside of this website so it's really nice to find people who understand and accept my obsession!! They all laugh when I tell them I'm learning Gàighlig!! Oh well!! Their loss in my opinion!! biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 10-Apr-2005, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Sonee! I am really enjoying talking to you and want to get to know you better! We have so many things in common. Come join us in "The Gathering" thread in the discussion forum so we can talk to our hearts contente about all our interests in there. That way this thread won't get too off topic for others. wink.gif smile.gif See ya there, my friend!
maria 
Posted: 23-Jun-2005, 08:44 AM
Quote Post

Servant

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Moscow, Russia

female

walkman.gif

--------------------

Nature hates mind.

Society often forgives the criminal, it never forgives the dreamer.

To be good is to be in harmony with oneself. Discord is to be forced to be in harmony with others.
(Oscar Wilde)
PMEmail Poster               
Emmet 
Posted: 04-Jul-2005, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacOak

Realm: Clearwater, FL

male

Following the revocation of the Edict of Nance in 1685 (establishing Catholicism as the official state religion of France and resulting in state sponsored religious persecution of Protestants and Jews), my ancestor John Pierre Bondurant fled to England from our ancestral home of Génolhac. He arrived in the colony of Virginia aboard the Ye Peter and Anthony on September 20, 1700, and settled in the Hugenot settlement of Mannikintown (now a suburb of Richmond, VA), along what is to this day called Bondurant's Creek.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster               
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 13-Jul-2005, 12:33 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

this is pretty interesting...my Dad's side of the family is hard to trace as they did not keep very good records BUT my Mom's side of the family kept excellent records on both sides (maternal/paternal). Plus my maternal Gramma was REALLY into geneology so we've got all kinds of info on her side. My Dad's side is basically German although we've found mention of a "Scotts-woman" but we are not sure where or how she is tied in there. On the other side, we know that our Great (not sure how many without looking in the book) Gramma was Irish from Mayo and she married an English lad...but they ended up in Australia where they married. My sister now lives in Sydney and she has visited the church where they were married. Then they came to America. So...it is pretty interesting when you begin to find/know your roots! Glad to be here and see your stories...

amy smile.gif

--------------------
CelticRoz 
Posted: 30-Jul-2005, 05:51 AM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Well in my search I have discovered that I have five great-grandmothers of Scottish surnames. However, I know that many folks moved trom country to country. so what do you assume your heritage to be? unsure.gif
ArizonaAmy9 
Posted: 11-Aug-2005, 07:40 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacVine

Realm: Tempe, Arizona USA

female

I guess many of us can just call ourselves a Heinz 57.... smile.gif
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 24-Mar-2007, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

On my dad's side, my grandfathers parents came over from England in the late 1800's. My grandmother came from Nova Scotia, her mothers family date back 4 generations to the first settler in that area. My great great great great grandfather was and loyalist settler there after the Revolution. He originally came from Dorset England. His last name descends from Norman heritage. Her fathers parents were from Scotland. They were descendants of clan Gordon.

My Mothers side, her Father was from Sweden and came over in the late 18 early 1900s. They can be traced back to Vikings. Her Mother was Irish, English and Swedish.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Robert Phoenix 
Posted: 24-Mar-2007, 09:50 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Ironwood, MI

male

Great Great grandpa and Grandma on dad's side migrated from Saxe-Weimer Germany in 1856. From then on all the grandpas on down seem to want to marry Celtic girls for some reason. I have to include myself on that list even though I had no idea of my ancestry untill years after I was married. Mother's side is all Italy and Austria. Constantine and Maria Erspamer migrated in 1883. They actually walked most of the way from New York to Cleveland. 12 kids

--------------------
Unavoidably Detained by the World

"Irishness is not primary a question of birth or blood or language; it is the condition on being involved in the Irish situation, and usually of being mauled by it."-Conor Cruise O'Brien

Pour mouth to mouth
PMEmail Poster               
Donajhi 
Posted: 06-Jul-2007, 01:21 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: Fae Hillfort

female

1745 from Glencoe, Scotland

--------------------
CHECK MY SITE: BEYOND THE VEIL http://www.gmadventures.com

"I DID NOT, IT WAS THE FAIRY FOLK!"

Scottish by the grace of God

Fairy Day countdown banner

DIOGENES HAS PASSED ME THE LANTERN, STILL LOOKING.....
PMEmail Poster My Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
Senara 
Posted: 15-Jul-2007, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Musican/Ruler of the Dells/Warrior
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacHazel

Realm: Caer Portshire, Mist Hollow

female

Most of the information I have at the moment is from my father's side of the family.

My grandmother was a Claflin, a decendent of Robert MacLachlan (scotland). Robert was captured by Cromwell at the battle of Dunbar (I believe during the Scottish Revolution) and shipped off to the new world as an indentured servant. Robert gained his freedom and lived quite happily in Wenham, MA. Dates and times are sketchy as to when exactly Robert was sent to the states, but we do have a date as to when he first purchased the land where his home now stands in Wenham (more recently it's a museum). The Claflin Cousins and the MacLachlan clan have beeen working both sides of the ocean to find out more about Robert the man. Robert's name was changed when he came to the states to Claflin, and following generations have fought in every war from the Revolutionary War to the current Iraq War. They live in every state of the union, and parts of Austrailia and back again.

My grandfather was a Moore, and little is known about his great-grandfather Maurice. We know that he arrived from County Kerry, Ireland. He emigrated during the potato famine, however he did not arrive through Ellis Island so no exact date of emigration has been found yet.

I don't have all my files infront of me but am still working on it.

--------------------
Senara-ism : Life is like a theatrical production only you get to be actor, director, and audience all at once. So break a leg, sit back and enjoy the show!

"When the waves are high and the light is dying, raise a glass and think of me..." -Gaelic Storm

Cha chòir dòrn a thoirt an aghaidh pòig.
A kiss ought not to be met with a fist.

Thig crioch air an saoghal, ach mairidh gaol is ceòl.
The world will pass away, but love and music last forever.

"I am a crazy, rabid squirrel! I want my cookies!" Hammy-Over the Hedge
PMEmail Poster               
UlsterScotNutt 
Posted: 25-Apr-2008, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New England, USA

male

I have been very fortunate to have a family book dating to the 1830s that include the family from that date forward in time and then backwards to the first family member in the Americas, New England, 1730 and back to Ireland 1690.

This is the first verified date of James Nutt, wife Ann and son Abraham being in New England, Hopkinton, Massachusetts. It is a church record, Congregational.
I was also blessed with finding a distant cousin who has researched and verified so much that is in the family book and has guided me in my family ancestry search.

I would like to get back further in time to Ireland and Scotland.

I am Fred McNutt, son of Fred Augustine McNutt, son of Fred Cornelius McNutt, son of Cornelius Cochran McNutt, son of Cornelius Cochran McNutt, Sr., son of Abraham McNutt, son of James Nutt, son of Abraham Nutt-born 1717 Londenderry, Ulster, Ireland, son of James Nutt-born 1690 Ulster, Ireland. James, wife Anne and son Abraham emigrated to Massachusetts about 1730.

As immigrants in the New World they immediately proceeded to the frontiers of Massachusetts and then later family to the Connecticut Western Reserves or better known as Ohio in the early 1800s. It is somewhere after Ohio in this time frame the family named changed to McNutt from Nutt, some imply that it was back to the original name from Ireland and Scotland, and other info says it was to distinquish themselves from the new influx of Irish Catholics emigrating in great numbers to the United States.

Funny thing on my mothers side it turns out my grandparents are Galician Spanish which makes them Celtic. It explains their ever so white skin, so much so , the woman on my grandmothers side are mostly named Blanca, spanish for white. My grandfathers mother side is surnamed Stay.

--------------------
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato(427-347 BC) Philosopher and Educator

Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind. The second is to be kind. And the third is to be kind. Henry James (1843-1916) Writer

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire
kind people. -Abraham Joshua Heschel (1907-1972) Theology Professor
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]