Patch 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacIvy

Realm: America, Mid West

male

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."

- Ted Nugent

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

This may be a duplicate but well worth a second posting!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

- Sigmund Freud

Slàinte,    

Patch    

PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 03:08 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Patch @ 07-Apr-2010, 12:02 PM)
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."

- Ted Nugent

ohmy.gif The Nuge is one of your authorities? partytime.gif

There are 308 million people in the US. "Hundreds" usually means some number of hundreds greater than two. "Hundreds of millions" would mean the vast majority of the population -- actually, virtually all of us -- re armed already, according to this authority.

I'm afraid "Not one of them will have an accident today" is above even this authority's powers to predict.

Are you just finding these things and slapping them down with no thoughts about the source or content?
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 03:17 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it."

- Clint Eastwood

Slàinte,    

Patch     

PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 03:19 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

" ... the right to defend one's home and one's person when attacked has been guaranteed through the ages by common law."

- Martin Luther King

Slàinte,    

Patch     

PMEmail Poster               
stoirmeil 
Posted: 07-Apr-2010, 08:37 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: New York

QUOTE (Patch @ 07-Apr-2010, 12:05 PM)
This may be a duplicate but well worth a second posting!

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

- Sigmund Freud

Look, you can take the Bible out of context and somebody else can call you on it, because it's really not my turf. But this IS my turf. This quote is not from Freud.
Here is a post from a site called ConcealedCarry, regretfully making the correction:

tylerdouglass Posted - 03/17/2010 : 10:34:31 Just thought I would point something out...

�A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity� Sigmund Frued

That is probably not a REAL quote by Sigmund Freud... As much as I would LOVE to blow some of my liberal friends out of the water, he just didn't say it... It is important, as responsible gun owners, that we are presenting VALID arguments when arguing the PROS of gun control. Nothing looks worse than quoting a high figure supporting your cause, only to have it turned on you when it's discovered he may not have actually said it.

According to Wikiquote:guns

quote:"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Falsely attributed to Sigmund Freud. This has been sourced to General Introduction to Psychoanalysis [10] [11] [12] [13] due to a misreading of a 1990 essay by Don B. Kates [14]. The quote is Kates' own characterization of a passage in Freud and Oppenheim, Dreams in Folklore, and not Freud's words.

According to Wikiquote: Sigmund Freud

quote:A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.

This is not a statement that appears in any translation of any of Freud's works. It is a paraphrase of a statement from the essay "Guns, Murders, and the Constitution" (February 1990) by Don B. Kates, Jr. where Kates summarizes his views of passages in Dreams in Folklore (1958) by Freud and David E. Oppenheim, while disputing statements by Emmanuel Tanay in "Neurotic Attachment to Guns" in a 1976 edition of The Fifty Minute Hour: A Collection of True Psychoanalytic Tales (1955) by Robert Mitchell Lindner:

Dr. Tanay is perhaps unaware of � in any event, he does not cite � other passages more relevant to his argument. In these other passages Freud associates retarded sexual and emotional development not with gun ownership, but with fear and loathing of weapons. The probative importance that ought to be attached to the views of Freud is, of course, a matter of opinion. The point here is only that those views provide no support for the penis theory of gun ownership.

Due to misreading of this essay and its citations, this paraphrase of an opinion about Freud's ideas has been wrongly attributed to Freud himself, and specifically to his 10th Lecture "Symbolism in Dreams" in General Introduction to Psychoanalysis on some internet forum pages: alt.quotations, uk.politics.guns, talk.politics.guns, can.talk.guns , etc.

Now -- tell me how much Freud you have read, even in English. Which one of all his works did you ever even hold in your hand. And then I'll tell you how many I am familiar with, a few of them even in the original German.

He never said this about fear of weapons.

He did have more than a few things to say about phallic symbols, of which guns are a notable example, and male inadequacy fears, but I would not presume to quote him lightly out of context (his indescribably complex context, that takes years of study to -- well, penetrate smile.gif ) just to have a laugh on you. That would be a disrespect to his theoretical authority.

Anybody who thinks I am "picking" instead of discussing -- fine. You don't like what the government is trying to ram down your throat -- I don't like what you try to ram down ours with this kind of irresponsible posting.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 08-Apr-2010, 01:47 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"The thing that separates the American Christian from every other person on earth is the fact that he would rather die on his feet, than live on his knees!"

- George Washington

Slàinte,    

Patch     
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 08-Apr-2010, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

QUOTE (stoirmeil @ 07-Apr-2010, 09:37 PM)
Anybody who thinks I am "picking" instead of discussing -- fine. You don't like what the government is trying to ram down your throat -- I don't like what you try to ram down ours with this kind of irresponsible posting.

Thank you for your post Stoirmeil. I thought that Freud quote was a bit ridiculous. For those who don't know, Stoirmeil teaches psychology at the university level.

--------------------
Yr hen Gymraeg i mi,
Hon ydyw iaith teimladau,
Ac adlais i guriadau
Fy nghalon ydyw hi
--- Mynyddog
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 08-Apr-2010, 02:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"The philosophy of gun control: Teenagers are roaring through town at 90MPH, where the speed limit is 25. Your solution is to lower the speed limit to 20."

- Sam Cohen (inventor of the neutron bomb)

Slàinte,    

Patch     
PMEmail Poster               
Nova Scotian 
Posted: 13-Apr-2010, 02:06 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Scotland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Tampa Florida

male

QUOTE (Antwn @ 08-Apr-2010, 02:10 PM)
Thank you for your post Stoirmeil. I thought that Freud quote was a bit ridiculous. For those who don't know, Stoirmeil teaches psychology at the university level.

So. That means NOTHING to me. Not putting down anyone who is a professor at a university. It can be a long hard road to get to that position. It's also not the easiest job nor the best paid job. However, I'll never take a side based on someones credentials. Just because someone is highly educated doesn't mean they are all knowing and ONLY their advice, opinion or decision matters more then others who are of lesser education.

--------------------
ALL4114Christ!

343 Their blood cries out! NEVER FORGET 9/11!

The 2nd Ammendment. The original Homeland Security!

"To those who would follow laws; laws need not apply. Those who would not follow laws; laws will have no affect upon."

Plato

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
C. S. Lewis
PMEmail Poster                
Patch 
Posted: 27-Apr-2010, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."

- St. Augustine

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 02-May-2010, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

bump
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 03-May-2010, 04:28 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

"Let the American youth never forget, that they possess a noble inheritance, bought by the toils, and sufferings, and blood of their ancestors."

--Joseph Story

Slàinte,    

Patch    
PMEmail Poster               
Antwn 
Posted: 03-May-2010, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacBirch

Realm: UDA ond o linach Cymry

male

QUOTE (Patch @ 03-May-2010, 05:28 PM)
"Let the American youth never forget, that they possess a noble inheritance, bought by the toils, and sufferings, and blood of their ancestors."

--Joseph Story

Slàinte,    

Patch    

By what disassociative Patch-logic does this correlate with the control or lack of control of guns? I guess as much as a quote by St Augustine. I wonder if by "defensive violence" Augustine included his threat to his monks that they'd suffer punishment of death for making changes while copying scripture, a practice that was common at the time. Quotes from a man who lived in the 4th century hardly apply to guns, but its your thread. Because someone made a comment about self defense doesn't mean that defense is by a gun nor does it mean they're a gun advocate, but maybe you have a time machine.
PMEmail Poster               
Patch 
Posted: 03-May-2010, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacIvy

male

There have been weapons throughout time, quite possibly starting with a rock in the biblical story of Cain and Abel. I have a collection of swords, a South American "blow gun and darts", Stun sticks of various voltages, Pepper spray and firearms. From history we learn the necessity of self defense.

No government entity has EVER been able to "protect" us!
PMEmail Poster               
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]