Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 09:26 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

Group: Ireland
ZodiacRowan

Realm: Winston-Salem, North Carolina

male

We go back to 1793 and 9 generations. I only know when my g-g-grandparents were born because of the tombstone that is in St. Joseph's cemetary in Shrule. I still don't know what Mary Egan's maiden name was. No records in Shrule that we know of that mention her.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 08-Dec-2003, 10:01 PM
Quote Post

Roz

Group: Celtic Nation
ZodiacAlder

female

And all your ancestors are from Ireland then? Don't you hate it when you hit a road block? Have you been to Ireland to see this tombstone? Met any of your relatives back there?
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               
Aon_Daonna 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

The Wolf Lady

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Fife, Scotland

female

mmh.. most you get are dates when you get really far back, but my mom always invented stories for us then *laughs*

No, but I'm quite proud of the fact that I met living History and witnessed it myself, which is what I want to pass on.

--------------------
Moderator: The Playground (RPG)

Carpe Jugulum
Carved with a twisted smile
An epitaph for sorrow
Sethian - Epitaph

If anybody wants a costum signature, pm me!
PMEmail Poster               
Cailiosa 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 06:56 PM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

So I was looking up an ancestor on Rootsweb today and I came across something quite interesting. Someone had the genealogy of my g-g-grandfather worked out part of the way and at the bottom of his individual record this is what I found:

Sex: M
Birth: 23 Nov 1874 in Huntingburg, Dubois, IN
Death: 3 Feb 1938
LDS Baptism: 20 Jul 1962
Endowment: 28 Jul 1962
Sealing Child: 10 Jul 1963 Temple: LANGE 1

Now the guy had been dead for nearly thirty years, so what is all this baptism stuff? Could someone that knows anything about LDS practices enlighten me?

Jennie

--------------------
"For man He suffered and He died:
If man will take His word as guide
And leave all infamy,
Then we shall come to happiness
And blisses more than we can guess in Jesu's company."

Check out my journal
PMEmail Poster               
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 07:20 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Cailiosa, LDS refers to Latter Day Saints, which have the largest archives of any genealogy pool. But I have no idea what the dates and the other references are about. Never ran into that before.
Try e-mailing the person that posted and see what answer you get back.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 08:21 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Cailiosa, living in a state where we have a large LDS (Mormon) population, ceremonial baptisms are held for the dead one by the Mormon church so they can reach one of the three heavens, eventually making it to the ultimate heaven. Hope that makes sense.
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

I ran into the same thing, Cailiosa! I know that genealogy is a big thing with members of the Latter Day Saints. I have heard that you have to do a family search before you can be a member. I don't know if this is true or not. I'm gonna do some research into this and maybe find out some answers. I have family that is into the Mormon church, LDS. They live in another state though and I don't talk or see them very often. Ever so often, the church sends members out and go door to door to talk about The Book of Mormon. Maybe someone here on the board can enlighten us on the matter. biggrin.gif

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
Mailagnas maqqas Dunaidonas 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 09:07 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian

ZodiacOak

male

The sealling of ancestors is a LDS practice which has both benefits and cautions for genealogists. The benefit is that anyone who has a cousin, however distant, who is a Mormon will likely find a good deal of research already done for them.
See, for example:
Additionally, it is the goal of the Mormon Church to have all members of the human race be sealed to their lineal ancestors in a direct course leading back to Adam and Eve. So, it is incumbent upon members to search out the names of their dead, to have proxy baptisms, endowments, and marriage sealings performed for them, and then to have each generation sealed to the previous one.

The Mormon is required to amass as much genealogical material as possible concerning his ancestors and to assure that the various proxy rituals are done for them. Only in this way can he have any hope of attaining the fullness of salvation as a god himself.

http://www.ewtn.com/library/answers/insidtem.htm
Unfortunately, in their eagerness to seal themselves to as many ancestors as possible, they sometimes get a little sloppy in their research, so at least some genealogists refuse to rely on LDS data. My own view is trust, but verify. That is, use the Mormon data as a starting point, but don't rely on it until you have verified the data somewhere else.
One reason that I have been able to find so much information on my Wolsey line is that four of my Wolsey cousins married John Doyle Lee, Brigham Young's somewhat infamous right hand man, who was responsible for the massacre of a wagon train of pioneers. See, for example,
http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/i_r/lee.htm.

--------------------
Síochán leat,
Mailagnas
Clan Donald USA
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 09-Dec-2003, 09:19 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

A lot of interesting and valuable information there, Mailagnus. Glad you were better to explain it than me. You also had a very interesting relative. Too bad about his ending of his life though. How sad.

I have found some information on the LDS site to not be very accurate, but it got me some information to work with that I didn't have before. smile.gif
Cailiosa 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Braveheart Member

ZodiacHolly

Realm: Western Kentucky

female

Thank you all so much for the helpful information! Certainly clears up a lot of questions I had and explains why the Mormons have so much genealogical data put together, though I certainly will check it out before I take it as truth. Thanks again! tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 03:23 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Yeah, Cailiosa the thing I didn't know that in order to become a Mormon they had to do their genealogy. Explains a lot why they have such records!

Have far back have you gotten?
AhilissaMay 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 05:37 PM
Quote Post

Clan Member

ZodiacAsh

Realm: Missouri, USA

female

I have been trying to do my dad's side of the family but I can't seen to get past my great grandfather, why you may ask?
Well my grandfather did not know much, I know that my great grandfathers name and that he was married to my great grandmother but she was married before she married my great grandfather, and my grandfather didn't know what her madien name was. (I know hard to follow isn't it)

My great grandfathers name is
William Charles Lunsford

My grandfathers name is
Paul Glenwood Lunsford

Ahil

--------------------
Mel Ullume--Love Forever

May Light Guide your Way both Night and Day.

Never fear the dark for with the right person you shall always see the light...

Life is a fire, a flame. With every blow of wind it is closer to being put out,
But with someone there to be the shield, it shall glow forever..

Mother of 5- Gwendolyn, Nathan, Arran, Tiffany and Brendan
PMEmail PosterMy Photo Album               View My Space Profile.
AShruleEgan 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Celtic Guardian
Group Icon

ZodiacRowan

male

Go on a few of the genealogy pages and go to the message boards. Post all the information that you know, names, birthdays, town they were born and lived etc. and put it in a descending order to make it easier for others to follow. If you make it to confusing, people won't bother reading it.
Also, while on those pages, search all the names that you are associated with. There could be other people out there who are looking for you. Some of the pages have a notification button for the names that you wish to keep track of. If someone posts new info under a name you have on your list, you will be notified so you can check it out.
PMEmail Poster               
CelticRoz 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Roz

ZodiacAlder

female

Shrule! You've seemed to have gotten a lot of information also from your ancestry. Which genealogy sites do you use, if I may ask. smile.gif

I am stuck too right now. I did hear from one distant family member, but I need more information. sad.gif
maggiemahone1 
Posted: 10-Dec-2003, 07:54 PM
Quote Post

High Queen of Ireland

ZodiacIvy

Realm: Southern West Virginia

female

QUOTE (CelticRose @ Dec 10 2003, 02:21 AM)
Cailiosa, living in a state where we have a large LDS (Mormon) population, ceremonial baptisms are held for the dead one by the Mormon church so they can reach one of the three heavens, eventually making it to the ultimate heaven. Hope that makes sense.

So I can do whatever in this life and have a relative from the Mormon church pray that I go to heaven after I die. Is that what it amounts to? Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

maggiemahone1
PMEmail Poster                View My Space Profile.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Reply to this topic Quick ReplyStart new topicStart Poll

© Celtic Radio Network
Celtic Radio is a TorontoCast radio station that is based in Canada.
TorontoCast provides music license coverage through SOCAN.
All rights and trademarks reserved. Read our Privacy Policy.

[Home] [Top]